Tire Monitoring System Question?

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of IForged Classics coming and want to add a Pressure Monitoring system to the rims before they mount the tires. I will be keeping my originals so the sensors will stay on those rims and it seems, for the price of new Dodge sensors, I can get a better system for my new tires & rims. I'm leaning toward the Hella TC 400 system, but Tirerack said they have had problems with this system on the Viper. Any imput on the Hella's or another system would be greatly appreciated.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Marv. You pose a great question...hope some others can offer solid info on better systems...some of which read temp and pressure.

As you know, the Viper's TPMS meets the minimum standard...and, in my opinion, has a short sensor battery life (I would really like to see these things move away from batteries and use RFID tags...if they could be made cheaper than the systems I have seen referenced).

Using the in-place OEM system is an easy way out...especially if the sensors can be obtained for less than $80 per sensor. I have "intel" from a fellow VCA member that one can purchase the OEM sensors a quite a discount(less than $130 for 4)...then, have them mounted along with the tires (another savings...typically only a couple of dollars more per wheel above standard tire mounting costs), and have a DRB III equipped friend reprogram them for free. Not a perfect solution, but still worth considering...especially when one hears that the retail price for 4 sensors (80X4=320), shop'smounting costs (25X4=100), and reprogramming (100-150).

Will be interested to hear
what you decide.

OP
OP
A

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OEM system just does not make sense. The after market systems do so much more. I'm leaning towards the TC-400 system, but unfortunately the Posts here are not up to date. Hopefully, some other Viper owners will give some imout.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm ordering a new set of track wheels/tires as well and want to do just the same, add tire pressure monitoring.

Keep us updated!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the Hella system from Viper Specialty. I installed the transiever and the display in the car, but the sensors were too fat to fit into my VR1 Billet wheels so I had to order some sensor holders to mount the sensors inside the tires. My PS2s are toast so I'll be getting them mounted soon. No computer to program sensors. You air the tires up, then lower the pressure etc. You program which sensor you're adjsuting the air pressure on so that the monitor can identify each tire's location. Tire temp and air pressure are available for display at all times. Definitly a much better system than the idiot light all factory systems use ... at least for the people that would like to have that information.

Price was just over $220 for the premium TPMS and about $180 for the system that had only 1 display color for the monitor.

Ted

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
, but Tirerack said they have had problems with this system on the Viper.

really ... I know of several Viper owners running the TC-400 system with zero issues

I can not recall 1 complaint from a Viper owners who have that system

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using the Hella system on my GTS and the performance has been flawless. After the initial setup I have not touched it. I am using it with iForged Classics 19/20 combo. Dan at Viper Specialty recommended that system when I bought my wheels from him and I also bought the Hella from him with the wheels.

OP
OP
A

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the imput and help. Great to be in a club like this. I'm going with the TC-400's.

OP
OP
A

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really ... I know of several Viper owners running the TC-400 system with zero issues

I can not recall 1 complaint from a Viper owners who have that system

Tire & rim package is from Industrial Motoring. I told them I was getting the Hella system from Tirerack and Elliott said he would order the system for me. Later called me to say Tirerack had said they were having problems with the Hella system. That was the reason for my inquirey.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree, Dave...nonetheless, I'd really like to see the real-time data for several parameters regarding a heavy car(Viper being primary area of interest)...time, speed, G's, track position, all 4 tire temps & pressures...ESPECIALLY under hard braking/cornering.

Maybe I should rev up my Purdue connections, start a project...hell, write a grant proposal, buy some ACR's, fly you up...