Tire Pressure as Willow Springs

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, stone cold in the morning I'm putting in 30 psi rear, 32 psi front. After a few laps I let about a pound out of the front left because that's the tire that takes the most beating and it gets real hot (42-44 psi when hot). When are you going to WSIR???? I have six days planned in the next 2 months.

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
John, stone cold in the morning I'm putting in 30 psi rear, 32 psi front. After a few laps I let about a pound out of the front left because that's the tire that takes the most beating and it gets real hot (42-44 psi when hot). When are you going to WSIR???? I have six days planned in the next 2 months.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am going on Nov 30 with the Central Ca BMW club

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I run 28lbs cold in all 4 tires. Hot is 37lbs front and 34 lbs rear. Camber is 1.8deg front & 1.6deg rear. Toe is 1/8" out front total & 1/4" in total rear. This set up was good for a 1:32.7 at WS in January on Pilot Sport 285 front & 335 rear. My car is stock except for smooth tubes, cat back and EBC pads.

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tire pressure do you guys run at Willow Springs, hot and cold readings?? I have a 2001 GTS with 18" Pilots
Thanks in advance,
John

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually listen to Tom because he is mighty fast. Almost as fast as PMUM.
laugh.gif
I have it on good authority that they both cheat. I heard from Tom that Stick-Um works great on Pilot Sports.
laugh.gif

Tom's pressures seem a bit low. According to the Michellin rep at Viper Days, their tires grip best when hot pressures are between 40-42 psi. In my limited experience, I lose grip (spin wildly out of control), when my hot pressures hot are in the 37-38 psi range. Grip seems much better in the recommeded ranges. I don't know how these pressures will translate to cold pressures at Willow Springs.

Seeing that Tom is probably 1 minute faster at Willow Springs than I, you should realy consider who's giving the advice. As an aside, I am installing my anti-Tom Glenn mods in the next few weeks so that I can narrow that gap down to 30 secs.

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam, I am honored to be mentioned in the same "Cheater" vain as the venerable PMUM. I believe that in PMUM's case the logic is "If I can't beat him he must be cheating" My hat is off to him since he is the only person I know who can compete in an "Unlimited" class and still be cheating. Alas, since you are on to my secret tire soak I will now divulge that it is actually Karo syrup and I learned about it from Bill Pemberton. Beware of Bernie Katz who has the 007 track misting antidote.