Tire Pressure Sensors... Dealer Can't Sync

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I bought new wheels and tires and tire pressure sensors and sure enough, after a few hundred miles my warning light came on. I was expecting it to, no big deal. Take the car to the dealer sync the new sensors, move on, right? Wrong. Dealer couldn't sync them.

Is there any tricks to this? Should I try a different dealer?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I personally have seen several variations on this problem in our area of the country (including an out-of-state Viper that had been to 2 Dodge dealers without success). Understanding the system (and it's limitations) is a must. Operator error seems common. I have seen more than one Viper that required a couple of programming attempts with a DRB III before success was achieved. Notice that I did NOT say to use a StarSCAN or StarMOBILE device...some techs try to use these to no avail.

Be SURE all of the batteries in the sensors are good AND that the sensors used are the correct units. One friend had his new tires and sensors shipped by a MAJOR supplier, mounted by a great shop, and asked me to program his Viper afterwards. I tried...and got nowhere. I showed him a VIPER TPS and he noted that it was different from the ones installed. So, all 4 sensors were dismounted, CORRECT sensors installed, and programming went along easily.

As you can see...it's not always simple. Try another dealer.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they have to use the DRB111 for it to work? If so, that will be the first thing to verify. The sensors were all brand new and tested so really hoping it is just operator error. These are brand new and it seems to me that the tech was entering or trying to enter a year into his scan tool. Is this right or even possible?

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Tire pressure monitor tool, the Year/Make have to be entered in so that the tool will read the sensor ID's. once the tech obtains the ID#s of each sensor they then have to be programmed into the vehicle using the scan tool.

should be easy, i dont see the problem. are they factory sensors or after markets?

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should have this tool to get the sensor ID#s

You must be registered for see images

then used a wiTech or DRB3 to program the sensors.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My DRB III indentifies sensors...NO other tools needed. While my wiTECH upgrade has the "DRB III Emulator" button...it does require me to bo on the net...and, I have yet to try it.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My DRB III indentifies sensors...NO other tools needed. While my wiTECH upgrade has the "DRB III Emulator" button...it does require me to bo on the net...and, I have yet to try it.

ummm.. WHAT?! and WHAT?!

1. the DRB3 does not identify tire pressure sensors. it can tell you what the car thinks the tire pressure sensor ID numbers are, but thats it.

2. the wiTech does not require you to be on the internet. for the first install of the DRB emulator it does, but once its installed and running it can be done off-line.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the sensor ID #s from the installer. Will this make it easier for the tech?

yes. he should be able to just take those numbers and enter them into the scan tool, done and done. if the numbers are incorrect or transposed, or whatever. then he should verify them with the TPM-RKE tool.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve is right on this one. Vipers use the old school magnet, infact the tpm tool will fail the sensor unless a magnet is on it. The viper uses a hybrid bus system. Half PCI and half CAN, you have to think of the tire system like a 2000 300m with a magnet.

The TPM is on the PCI bus.

Step 1

You have to go to a place that see's more then one viper a year. They must use a DRB and a magnet.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They tried using a magnet and I emailed the service manager today to try and find out which scanner they used :dunno:

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna be just a little bit outta my way :D

Steve, do the ID #s I posted look like what the tech would need to program the car.
?

Thanks

Ron

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why I ride around with my low tire warning light on constantly.
My local dealer is not only inept, but wants me to leave the car there all day.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why I ride around with my low tire warning light on constantly.
My local dealer is not only inept, but wants me to leave the car there all day.
Chuck Tator did mine on my new wheels in 5 mins! might be worth the ride up to see him?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, MoparBoyy,for the info on the emulator...I need to try that sometime.

And, NO...I have personally NEVER needed to enter any numbers from sensors into MY DRB III to program the new TP sensors to any Viper. Admittedly, I have not installed a new TPS module.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
HyperViper, rather than go by only my last memory of this system...I took my DRB III to our garage and hooked it to an 2008 Viper...noting that the ID's read by the DBR III were:

LF 6502265

RF 6497045

RR 6502269

LR 6498710

Now, are these numbers real and correct or is my DRB III making this up??? I can't argue this issue in this instance as I DID NOT program these originally...just re-programmed the system when it malfunctioned...thus with THIS Viper, I have very limited experience...though I have programmed over a dozen Vipers (03-06 and 08,09) with NEW sensors WITHOUT entering any numbers myself. Success rate so far...100 %...only exception noted above when supplier sent wrong sensors to installer...utlimately we successfully programmed that Viper when correct sensors were installed. By the way, the Mopar part number on Mopar bag containing a new Viper TP sensor sitting here next to my computer is 52088990AC. I hope this helps!! Good luck.

Edit: Is my magnet working the necessary magic??

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
$6,500.00 last time I checked for a new, after-market DRB III with support. Mine is 4 years old. It is no longer actively supported according to company. The new wiTECH is GREAT for Gen IV Vipers (one can see tons of data live)...but, as noted, I have not tried the fairly new feature of "DRB III Emulator" (came with my latest update done in Dec. 2011...was NOT my 2010 edition) since the DRB III is here and works well for ABS system, TPS, etc.. The wiTECH works on everything from Wife's 2006 Jeep to my 2011 300 C...and, is very cool for about $2500.00.

Here are a couple of toys for you, Hyperviper:

https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=1643

http://dcctools.com/en/witech/index.html

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From the 2009 Viper Service Manual CD:

[h=2]TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING MODULE PROGRAMMING[/h]If a TPM module fails, or one or more tire pressure sensor/transmitters fail, after replacement, the TPM module's diagnostic memory must be cleared and reprogrammed. This is necessary for the module to detect which wheel is sending the signal.

Refer to the following procedure to program the module for identification of one or all tire pressure sensors.

NOTE:

The vehicle's tires must not have been rotated above 8 km/h (5 mph) in the last two minutes prior to programming.

1.Connect a scan tool to the vehicle's diagnostic connector beneath the instrument panel, to the right of the steering column.
2.Access the Chassis System using the scan tool.
3.Once in the Chassis System, select Tire Pressure Monitor, followed by Miscellaneous.
4.Select the appropriate function from the next screen displaying the following options:
[h=4][/h]
  1. Program LF Pressure Sensor
  2. Program RF Pressure Sensor
  3. Program RR Pressure Sensor
  4. Program LR Pressure Sensor
  5. Program Module (4 Sensors)
  6. Monitor
5.Place Magnet, Special Tool 8821, at the valve stem for that wheel as directed by the scan tool. If the Program Module function has been chosen, the scan tool will direct you to the left front wheel pressure sensor first.
6.When that wheels pressure sensor has been programmed, the scan tool will display Program Transmitter Complete or will automatically
direct you to the next wheel sensor to be programmed.

NOTE: When programming the module (all four sensors), the
magnet should be moved from wheel to wheel in a clockwise direction starting at
the left front wheel.

7.Remove the magnet and if programming the entire module, move the magnet to each of the remaining wheels as directed by the scan
tool. Each sensor will automatically sense the presence of the magnet and begin programming.
8.Once Program Transmitter Complete is displayed, exit the program function screen.
9.Verify that the module programming is complete by looking at the tire pressure sensor ID's in the Sensor Display using the scan tool.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Editorial comment: For those who may not know some of the posters in this thread, I would suggest that readers keep in mind that I am an avid Viper owner/enthusiast/tinkerer...but NOT an automotive technician. I enjoy fooling around with our Vipers (occasionally, helping friends with theirs)...and enjoy taking wild guesses (experienced based, but from narrow data sets) about problems posted. It's fun to learn!!

In contrast, by my memory...MoparBoyy is a technician who has a ton of real experience. In would pay close attention to what he and/or any of our Technician posters say !!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any way to disengage the module so the light is not constantly on?
I check the tire pressure every drive so I really don't need it. Too bad it wasn't on its own fuse.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok those scanners are expensive, not something I want to invest in. Will try again at the dealer tomorrow. I printed Steve's info from the service manual and will only show it to the tech if he is still having a hard time.

Jon, if this doesn't work, I'm thinking a piece of electrical tape to cover up the low tire icon.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done! Went back to the dealer today and they used....drumroll please.......DRB III and it literally took 2 minutes and done.

Not sure why they tried 2 different scanners and not this one. So, if, you are going in to have your tire pressure monitors synced, I guess you have to request (duh) that they use this tool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21