Tires

Rkh3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep reading not to drive these cars with old tires but what is considered old? Mine have 3 years/8k on them.

OP
OP
R

Rkh3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that link but what I was asking is how old is too old? In addition, how can tell when they have gotten to the point they need to be replaced if tread depth is good? Like I said, my tires are three years old with 8k on them.

Thanks

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Age and heat cycles are the main thing on cars that aren't driven all the time. I wouldn't "think" heat cycles would be as big of a deal on street tires, but I'm not an expert.
I think the general rule is about 6-7 years (from the date code on the car) is as long as you should think about going.
It also depends on what tires they are. Run-craps have ****ty grip from the get-go, so they get really bad after some age. If you've got those on there and you've had them 3 years (but you need to check the date code on the tire itself), it might be time to change them. The real thing is feel. How well do the fronts bite and the rears hook?
I actually thought my car lost a lot power when I changed to new Invo's. I had gotten used to no traction in 1st or 2nd and sometimes having issues in 3rd. When I put the tires on, I could pretty much get on it from anything over 15-20 MPH and they didn't spin. Took me a minute realize that was how it's SUPPOSED to be! lol

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2004 run flats with 3900 miles. Fine on the street, dont track the car. Looking at some Invo's in the spring.

pdub

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced my original 2005 run flats (for super sports) with 5k miles. The dealer said they were okay to use under 80 mph. Big difference with the new tires though. Much more comfortable ride and better handling. 1500 for set of super sports from viperpartsofamerica and 180 to have the dealer mount and balance them. Well worth it imo.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the general rule is 7 years or so

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just replaced the tires on my '06 with 8k miles. In my opinion the stock runflats were just plain dangerous. New tires made a world of difference.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how this is possible. "3 years / 8K miles" .....I have been using 3 sets of tires per year. I haven't been counting miles though,........just the smiles.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just replaced the tires on my '06 with 8k miles. In my opinion the stock runflats were just plain dangerous. New tires made a world of difference.

Could not agree more. I just put some super sports on and it was a night and day difference.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how this is possible. "3 years / 8K miles" .....I have been using 3 sets of tires per year. I haven't been counting miles though,........just the smiles.

"There's Lead in them hills" and your right foot--easy!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know it's kinda funny, when I drove on the street a lot, I had a problem with the back tires not lasting very long. Now that it is a dedicated track car, the front tires are more the issue. -2.5 camber helped, but I still have to watch the fronts more than the rears. What is really funny, is that I got a C6 Corvette for a daily driver, and it does not eat tires like the Viper does!