Titan Lift install

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Needed an extra parking space, read all the lift threads and took the plunge.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Cost of lift $1725.00 Fed Ex Freight $200.00 Picked up with 16ft trailer, unloaded and built it myself with a Duct lift from Sunbelt Rentals $65.00 Under 2,000.00 Complete! Instructions were a little sketchy but the lift was well packaged and complete with, Casters, (you want these) Drip trays and Jack Tray! No Quality or build issues, easy operation. :)

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look good you need to get a low profile track system for your garage door!

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It doesn't look like you can open your garage door with the car up
on the lift in the photo?
I had to put a roll up door in my garage.

OP
OP
S

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Part B of the project is on order: a new jack shaft opener and door. This will allow full use of the garage "air space"
Clopay Carriage house style insulated door w/ windows, jack shaft opener is $1995.00 installed.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the reason people like the castors, but please bolt your lift to the floor. I use my lifts daily and there have been times very bad things could have happened if these were not bolted down.

You might ask, what? working on the car, on the jack bridge, weight shifted and the car fell on the lift. ( I think I actually pooped a little) I also had a cable snap. It was heavy usage and was frayed but I pushed my luck and the cable broke. The safety's worked and there was no issue but the weight definitely shifted.

In just one second things can go very wrong, don't take that chance.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the reason people like the castors, but please bolt your lift to the floor. I use my lifts daily and there have been times very bad things could have happened if these were not bolted down.

You might ask, what? working on the car, on the jack bridge, weight shifted and the car fell on the lift. ( I think I actually pooped a little) I also had a cable snap. It was heavy usage and was frayed but I pushed my luck and the cable broke. The safety's worked and there was no issue but the weight definitely shifted.

In just one second things can go very wrong, don't take that chance.

I'm not sure how the lift being bolted down would keep the car on the lift if it fell off the bridge jack....I'd have to give that some thought. Also, if the cable snaps what happens to the lift if its bolted down versus not bolted down? You kind of got me thinking.
I do know that on lifts that are bolted down, there is very little noise or groan when going up and down. I do love having my lift on casters if I need to move it around but I think I'm leaving it where it ease for quite a while. Might just bolt that sucker down.

What I've wondered is in a severe earthquake can the car slide off the lift assuming the lift did not collapse? I'm thinking that for long term storage, putting ratchet straps through the wheels and around the runway might help tie it all together and keep it on the lift and not potentially crush the vehicle below it.

Cheers,
George (aka TA)

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is relevant to my interests. How tall are your walls?
Mine are a just hair under 10.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the lift being bolted down would keep the car on the lift if it fell off the bridge jack....I'd have to give that some thought. Also, if the cable snaps what happens to the lift if its bolted down versus not bolted down?
George (aka TA)

The lift is much more secure, and there is no risk of a leg of the lift kicking out or bucking under. There are holes in your plates where the lift meets the floor. The manufacturer knows that bolting it down is a good idea. Just be safe.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"SL". looking at the Prowler, could you move your lift about 2-3 feet further into the garage, then back the Prowler in, looks like the garage door would go up and over the hood of the car...till you get the door raise (if you still feel it is needed).....as to the comments as to bolting versus non bolting, I don't see any merit compared to the great flexibility to move the lift as your garage needs change....and they do change from time to time....my $.02....good luck !

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get some 1/2inch drop anchors and bolt that sucker down. Its worth it and really easy to do

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve...I appreciate you looking out for all of us with lifts that aren't bolted down, but could you add some context to your picture. I could post a lot of 'after' pictures for anything, but without context...it means nothing. Lift brand/type...did it roll off...was there an earthquake...was the lift correctly installed...did something fail on the lift, etc.

My lift doesn't budge without a car on it...it certainly has no chance of moving with a car on it...absent of a catastrophic event. Now if you want to incorporate a human doing something idiotic, like not securing the car on the lift, or running another car into one of the legs, or not taking care when raising/lowering the lift, then I can see where your advice should be taken.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now if you want to incorporate a human doing something idiotic, like not securing the car on the lift, or running another car into one of the legs, or not taking care when raising/lowering the lift, then I can see where your advice should be taken.

Yep, life happens.

You don't want to bolt it down? don't. But I wont work under a car, wrestle with a transmission, push/pull on an exhaust, pry on a rusted spring as hard as I can, etc without it being safe.

Like I said, life happens. Good luck.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve...I appreciate you looking out for all of us with lifts that aren't bolted down, but could you add some context to your picture. I could post a lot of 'after' pictures for anything, but without context...it means nothing. Lift brand/type...did it roll off...was there an earthquake...was the lift correctly installed...did something fail on the lift, etc.

I have yet to read it all, but it looks like a year and a half ordeal dealing with insurance, Gemini lift and lawyers. The lift was Perfect Park by Lifts Unlimited

More bad news if you wanted a 4 post lift dont show this to the mrs.

4 post lift collapse part 2 now the fun starts

4 post life collapse the probable cause

4 post lift failure now I wait

Infamous 69 conver lift collapse car fs

4 post life headache now the runaround

4 post lift still waiting

4 post lift collapse 3 months and counting

4 post lift collapse perfect park 7000 4 months later its getting nasty

4 post lift collapse 5 months and the lawyers are getting involved

4 post lift collapse bet oyu thought this was all solved

4 post lift collapse final chapter

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a comment on your unfortunate "accident".The failure on your lift is not that uncommon.The Perfectpark lift is made by Gemini auto lifts of Fort Worth,Texas.They also make Superior Lift and the Garagemaster 7000.I have personally seen two failures of this type and had direct contact with another person who had the same failure in So. Cal..The pulley bolts back off and disconnect or just plain break.I have sold both of these lifts at car shows and have made attempts to contact the customers I have sold to and have them check the bolts,retorque as necessary and request replacement bolts of better quality.I had a sample bolt looked at by a hardware professional outlet and was assured that it is only grade 2 offshore manufactured hardware.I have been in the automotive business since 1969,ASE certified and factory Ford trained.Since 1987 I have been in the automotive equipment sales and service and I am Still involved in that business,I am a factory Rep for various lines of equipment,Lifts included,but I will not mention any names to avoid any questionable sales technique.Be aware of this.Lifts unlimited and Superior Lifts are identical in manufacturing except for the columns.The pulley bolts and lock mechanismn are identical.That being said I have seen the same failures on both lifts.Lifts unlimited and Superior both have prior knowledge of this problem and still have not advised there customers of such.That is why I put accident in quotations.Accidents are not accidents if they are priorly preventable.My advise to owners of these lifts are to not use them until the pulley bolts have been inspected and replaced and the lock linkages have been replaced with heavier rods to insure complete lock release at all four corners.I would also contact your state industrial safety board and request inspection and certification of these lifts.I am informing my customers who bought these lifts to do the same.If you buy a lift,buy it from a professional who knows lifts,can answer all your questions and refrains from using negative sales technique.When they tell you to buy from them because it is cheaper or They tell you you don't have to pay the sales tax,that is negative sales technique.You need to hear why their lift is good not why others are bad.You can pay for quality or pay for crap.Quality lifts always have the same price all the time.No so called"show specials".Be a smart consumer.Investigate and compare the product and the company selling it.Ask how their ontime delivery record is and check with the BBB for any outstanding or unresolved complaints.The only thing worse than you being hurt in a lift accident is your loved ones being hurt.Lifts are a commercial product used by professionals on a daily basis.When you bring one of these into the residential enviroment,look for problems not associated with a commercial shop.A lift is not a toy and should be installed by a professional and maintained by such.They require training and your complete attention at all times,and should not be operated when children are present.In ending I emplore you to shop,compare and be aware.
Yours Truly,Liftman

Quote from the 2nd thread.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all comes down to the brand of lift and how they are made,

I have a set of Autolifters lifts, they are now out of business, but in the day they claimed a 7.0 earthquake couldn't knock em down and they had pics on their website that showed a forklift knocking into one of their poles and the lift not falling down, I can attaest to their superior design, Ramps do not follow a U channel, they entirely surround the post, unlike the vette pic above.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for posting the "rest of the story", I'll read it later tonight after work. I did read the very first post of what happened.....here's the thing. The guy claims he couldn't get the system to lock out. At that point he starts going up and down (and never bothers moving the 1996 Vette out of the way, just in case :dunno: ). The cable comes off the pulley (for whatever reason) and this is what happens.

Most lift manufacturers do suggest checking the pulley bolts, pulleys, cables, etc as normal maintenance. This happened in 2002. With the internet, camera phones, etc, this obviously isn't too common or we'd be seeing tons of videos and pics. As Mopar Steve says, bolt it down if you want. But, once the unit is on the locks, it doesn't matter if it's bolted down or not, the vehicle is not coming down or moving.....if it does, it just means it was your time to go to Viper heaven.

Again, thanks for posting the story, it will make an interesting read.

Cheers,
George

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACRucrazy...thanks for the research...sounds like a defect in the product or maybe just a poor product, especially since the lift manufacturer's liability insurance paid for the lift and the damage to one car and the garage.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever I use my lift, I listen carefully as the lift cycles up or down, and when going up, I listen to EACH lock inside the post as the carriage goes over it, when all four locks have been passed at the point I want the car to be, then I lower the lift till I hear and feel the lift being lowered onto the stops and IF any lock would be bypassed this is when I would stop and check what is happening, I would never raise or lower any lift with ANYTHING under the lift. !! I will tell that once I forgot I had a car going up on the lift and the car had an antenna up and I put the antenna up into the ceiling drywall, this really puts a bad feeling in your stomach when it happens and fortunately no damage except a little spackling for the ceiling. all lifts can be dangerous, and must be respected at all times ! Never be in a hurry, and always follow the same routine, I would NEVER let anyone else use my lift !!

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an extended height quality four post lift. It is ALI certified which is the highest level of engineering standards. its not bolted down since it weighs thousands of pounds without a car even on it. I have the company that installed it do a 50 point safety inspection once per year for a couple hundred bucks. be an intelligent consumer and utilize caution.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an extended height quality four post lift. It is ALI certified which is the highest level of engineering standards. its not bolted down since it weighs thousands of pounds without a car even on it. I have the company that installed it do a 50 point safety inspection once per year for a couple hundred bucks. be an intelligent consumer and utilize caution.

Just so you are aware of what a ALI certification actually is....the lift manufacturers came up with a certification process that they claim to follow. Think of the fox watching the hen house. This does not mean it is a bad thing, but it has nothing to do with any government agency, osha, etc. They are their own watchdog. It is more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

Having said that, I do feel that most of the big name companies do a decent job on their lifts, even the ones made in China. Best thing to do is examine your own lift (or have a professional lift installation company do it like you do) on a set schedule to meet your useage and needs.

I would guess that 99% of the lift accidents are operator error.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
S

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get some 1/2inch drop anchors and bolt that sucker down. Its worth it and really easy to do
Titan lift comes with 16 HD anchors! Casters are for moving the empty lift, not with a vehicle on it! I agree a bolted down lift is a safer lift.
Thanks for the kind comments and concerns My thoughts on safety are this, 7,000 lb rated lift can easily lift my Escalade, but it's not it's lifting a 2800 lb Prowler or 3200 lb Viper, (1/2 its rated capacity) It is used for parking not commercial auto repair. 3-4 uses per month not per day! Seems to be quality built, for it's intended use, any machine can fail or be made to fail regardless of cost and engineering effort! Such as did the space shuttle.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 4 post lift is a Bendpak 9000 lb and is seriously heavy. I compared it to other lifts and the comparison left me no other logical choice on which one to buy. More pricey, for sure but worth it in my mind. Still a bargain @ $3000 I thought.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you are aware of what a ALI certification actually is....the lift manufacturers came up with a certification process that they claim to follow. Think of the fox watching the hen house. This does not mean it is a bad thing, but it has nothing to do with any government agency, osha, etc. They are their own watchdog. It is more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

Having said that, I do feel that most of the big name companies do a decent job on their lifts, even the ones made in China. Best thing to do is examine your own lift (or have a professional lift installation company do it like you do) on a set schedule to meet your useage and needs.

I would guess that 99% of the lift accidents are operator error.

Cheers,
George

My understanding is that "ALI" stands for "American Lift Institute" and a lift being certified pursuant to it means more than a marketing ploy. For the most part, like anything in life, you get what you pay for. Not picking on China but I've seen some issues with their products. Caveat Emptor indeed.