too old?

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I better run this by the VCA community. I just turned 61. Is that too old to get a Viper? My wifey says I'm going thru my mid-life crisis. I said it's my post-life crisis. I'm a self made man: started with nothing and still have most of it. A.T. :cool:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I better run this by the VCA community. I just turned 61. Is that too old to get a Viper? My wifey says I'm going thru my mid-life crisis. I said it's my post-life crisis. I'm a self made man: started with nothing and still have most of it. A.T. :cool:

Mid life crisis is when you marry someone half your age... :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm 61, and suggest that you GO FOR IT !!! My Wife is 60 and feels the same way. We have had a variety of sports cars for 35 years...and NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING out there compares to a Viper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a few months shy of 60 myself. Most of the guys will tell you that my advanced age is probably the reason that I'm so smart.
But all that aside...

I don't think you are too old for a Viper but you should keep in mind that it isn't a very forgiving car. You can cross over the edge of control very quickly.

Get one and have a good time. Just remember it isn't just another car, it's a beast.
Oh, one more thing,
Don't ever let anyone else drive it. That's the end of many Vipers.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't ever let anyone else drive it. That's the end of many Vipers.

I told my brother to "shut-up" about driving my viper when I first got it. We haven't spoken in three years, but I still have my viper.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a LOT of Viper owners that are 65+. We have a VCA member that just bought a new SRT-10 and he is 72. And loves it!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually , we have sold numerous gentlemen and ladies that are a bit older than you. I still remember a lovely young lady that roared out of here over a year ago, and wasn't 250 miles down the road when she got a ticket for 92mph on the turnpike. Don't know her exact age, but I suspect she could be your big sister, and I know she literally stopped aging after getting her SRT-10. A Viper is the Fountain of Youth, and you will feel younger the minute you get one, so I say rock and roll.

PS - In 2001 we had a cantakerously lovable gent of 82 fly in to pick up his new Snake. After we picked him up at the airport, he progressed to tell me he hadn't driven a stick in 20 years. Driver's Ed recommenced and that evening we sent him on his way home --- he drove all the way back to Oxnard , California. Talked to him about 6 months ago, and at 85 he still loves his GTS!!

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I expect to still be driving mine in 20 yrs when I get there, go for it, but as others have said, take it easy it is a beast...

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my Viper (1996 RT/10) in 2001 when I was 64, I'm soon to be 68 (January). My wife was all for it and we have had nothing but fun, and fun, and fun, with the Viper. We participate with the Viper Club, go to many car shows, and I drive it on the track. This past year I did 6 track days, and hit 140+ mph at our track - much more in the car, but run out of straight.
GO FOR IT, AND BE ACTIVE WITH THE CAR. Go to a driving school, even if it is only given by your local track, or a Car Club (Porsche, BMW, Alfa,.....) that offers track instruction or drivers school.
Again, Be brave and do it.
Later,

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No no no Mr.Nevada, don't do it now. You're going to live forever afterall, and you'll always be able to get in and out of a Viper without embarassing yourself. That's the ticket.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine for myself for my 50th birthday, and plan to drive it or another Viper until they pry my dead hands off the steering wheel. Maybe its a midlife crisis, maybe it isn't, I'll let you know when I find the woman thats half my age. :headbang:

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mid Life Crisis! IMPOSSIBLE most of us are stuck at 19 going on ____.

I gave a young Mustang owner a demonstration of Viper performance and his comment was "too bad we are not the same age, with this car we could pickup alot of chicks" :) .LOL I fail to see why that's an issue except wifey says she is the only chick I can pick up. BTW I'm 54. Enjoy your ride.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too old? Hardly! One thing I find interesting is that in our local club with members that range from their early 30's to well into their 60's, you don't notice any difference in attitude or energy and they are a fun crowd to hang out with.

The comment about Vipers keeping you young seems like it may have some merit based on my observations. Not a single one seems to act their age! We had a couple about your age join the club with the purchase of an '03 Viper when they moved up from the vette crowd and within about a year they had gotten a Comp Coupe and now are getting into pretty serious racing. Others race Mazda Spec cars or hit the drag strip when we go out. Probably the biggest difference between the age groups of the members is that the older part of the crowd tends to have more money to spend on their toys and more time to enjoy them. Not a bad deal in my opinion! :2tu:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I'm 61, and suggest that you GO FOR IT !!! My Wife is 60 and feels the same way. We have had a variety of sports cars for 35 years...and NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING out there compares to a Viper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow Steve, you are old..LOL! :D

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I'm behind the wheel of a Viper, I'm 17 again. Of course the same is true when I'm behind the wheel of a Kia Rio, or somesuch.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never too old for the rush and thrill of driving this American Muscle. I got my first viper at 46, wife says it will possibly be the death of me, farout, I planned on taking it to the grave with me anyways.
You gotta get one of these things, see ya out there........

OP
OP
S

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Y'all. Age is only a frame of mind anyway. Jus' checking. Going to look at the new ride in a few days and do the deal. And Bill B.... do you get a fleet discount? :cool:

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I probably bought mine due to a mid-life crisis. I love it. Take a nice test drive and really try to soak it in before purchasing. If you are looking for more comfort than the viper offers get a BMW 745i or 760i you still get to show off in an extremely cool car with great comfort, sportiness, and control. ( I know I'm about to get clubbed over the head by the Benz guys ). Follow your heart !

S

SUN RA KAT

"Re: too old?"

If you have to ask, then you probably are.

So, if I were you, I'd delete the very first post in this thread and get me a Viper.

BTW - Got my Viper in 2002 at age 54 and I've been getting younger every year since.

:D

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's too late for you, just by the fact that you asked.

Tony Randall is my hero, my plan when I am 80 is to have a 20 year old wife and have kids so she can change both our diapers. Maybe I will even be senile, so each day when I have sex with her it will be the first time... Thank god for ****** and fast cars…

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, ever wonder why some people lose their interest in cars by age 30 and others never do? I grew up in a small town where all the kids were car crazy. Only a few remained so. I'm the same with motorcycles. Each one I sell will be "my last one". It never is.
A friend said to me recently, "I just don't understand why you are so interested in cars. He ranks cars right up there with refrigerators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc