Took My RT Out For A Spin Today!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I decided to take my RT out (when the roads were dry) and give it some exercise.:drive:

After the recent crash in Sherman, I was also curious about all the talk about how bad it was to drive in the winter. Well, clearly if you drive "normally" and not get on the car there is no issue at all. I did hit it in second a little but didn't feel at all out of control....no more than if I did it in the summer. It was a great ride and I'm glad I had the time (and the weather) to take it out.

So, in my opinion, those who crash their Vipers in the winter (assuming no unusual circumstances like a deer or another driver) have to assume fault. I will admit that the roads are more slippery when they are cold (along with the tires).

As been stated many times on here, use your heads when you take your Viper out!:headbang:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to politely disagree, we do not know the condition and circumstances of the recent accidents, you can not put the blame on the driver if you were not there, if you happened to crash your viper today who is to say it was or was not your fault? Unexpected things do happen like you noted. Maybe to your point it is driver error to take a viper out in the cold weather knowing its cold weather weakness, you may have put your viper in danger and yourself by "hitting it in second" knowing very well after all the warnings on this forum recently that something could happen with cold roads, its simply not a cold weather car and IMO should not be driver if the weather is improper. Just saying you could have crashed your car today, dont want you or your viper banged up :(

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look forward to winter, sometimes I think we (in the snow country) get more chances to practice controlling vehicles because of it.. not that I've taken the Viper out in the snow! Having Finnish blood, looking at most of the top ralley drivers are from Finland, I even remember a cousin freakin' me out in his Citroen 2CV sliding it around on ice in Finland when I was a kid..

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Be safe! Know your limits!
Mike

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to politely disagree, we do not know the condition and circumstances of the recent accidents, you can not put the blame on the diver if you were not there, if you happened to crash your viper today who is to say it was or was not your fault? Unexpected things do happen like you noted. Maybe to your point it is driver error to take a viper out in the cold weather knowing its cold weather weakness, you may have put your viper in danger and yourself by "hitting it in second" knowing very well after all the warnings on this forum recently that something could happen with cold roads, its simply not a cold weather car and IMO should not be driver if the weather is improper. Just saying you could have crashed your car today, dont want you or your viper banged up :(

Driver error 99% of the time.
It's ALWAYS excessive speed for the road conditions.
There's a video on the site now of a guy losing control at a Texas gathering on a warm day and dry roads. What excuse can he use? It's not his fault right?
The car tried to kill him. Deer perhaps?
Blame the right foot.
God Lord stop blaming the car for driver error and failure to adjust to driving conditions. True no one knows the exact conditions of the accident in Sherman but does anyone really believe that guy was not speeding above the limit on a cold damp road? Not only was there ear witness statements that they heard the car accelerating but there are skid marks all over the road. Do you think he was doing the speed limit or LESS as common sense would dictate. Is anyone EVER doing the speed limit or less when these wrecks happen?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hearing a viper accelerate and seeing are two different things, a non viper owner will think because the exhaust tone is loud its accelerating out of control, ear witness statements is completely BS and laughable. The original post quoted “After the recent crash in Sherman, I was also curious about all the talk about how bad it was to drive in the winter” seems he feels that crash was weather related, I myself have no opinion on it, I don’t know the facts. I then I agreed with him that driver error can be factor if you take your viper out in winter, don’t you think it’s driver error to take a viper out in winter? Drinking and driving is an error but it does not always lead into a crash and because you can drive a viper in winter does it mean you should because of the consequences!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay J-Vipe, I knew my statement might get some negative reaction. But, I did say outside of unusual circumstances, couldn't list them all, but used deer, being cut off as examples. Certainly, unexpected things happen, like accelerator pedal stuck (old faithful at speeding ticket court appearance), or possibly the driver sneezed really hard and closed his eyes for a second or two...

But, in my opinion, if you are driving conservatively because it is winter and respect the power of the car, under normal conditions you should be in control of your car. IF, the driver chooses to speed, make some hairbrain maneuver because the Viper is a "sports car" (dah) or decides they want to accelerate hard in 1st or 2nd possibly speed shift, then the blame is on the driver 100%. While in the case of the Sherman crash, while we don't know what the circumstances, I know that long straight downhill road, as I had my Porsche at 120 and easily could have gone higher. Until (and if) the actual cause of that accident comes to light, I would tend to blame the driver.

I know, and don't mean to make a blanket statement about Viper crashes, but I don't feel I am that far off either.

Sorry, if you disagree.:nono:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny, its hard for me to make a totally accurate statement, I agree with you. I can't cover every accident's specifics, but I do feel the generalization is pretty much on target.

But, I will agree to disagree on those that are not correct.

Happy Holidays!:santa2:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do drive my Viper on dry days whether the temps are low or high.However,i do not drive it crazy. I like to drive it and i don't believe you should put it up somewhere for months until you think the weather is just right. I will not 'get down on it' in cold weather. Just drive carefully and under the speed limits. If ,on the other hand someone wants to drive unsafely for conditions,then they are putting themselves and other's in danger. I would never drive in rain or snow,but i'll keep driving in good weather(dry),and enjoy it whenever safely possible. JUST USE YOUR HEAD!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My viper comes out every few weeks, cold or not. I agree as most will, I suspect, that the risk of wrecking your car in the winter due to cold hard tires is minimal if you drive it with care and concern and as you'd drive your other cars...

It's snow, ice, sand and salt that keeps it in the garage thru the winter.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been driving even on cold ass days here in Louisville, mostly testing things trying to get the idle worked out. This car is definately a beast, but as long as you are respectful I think it is fine to drive on cold roads, but even a little burst of the throttle from what I have found is spin city...

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to some extent its a regional concern, i'm in MA and its 20 degrees out today and its only going to go lower as the month goes on, winter in some states are not nearly as bad and figure your viper can be enjoyed year round....i'm jealous a bit

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the last few posts, as I do take my RT out during the winter months providing the roads are dry and relatively free of salt/sand. My car never goes out in the rain and not even worth mentioning in the snow!

J-Vipe, I'm with you, live in SW Conn and it was 19 about two hours ago and I suspect colder at dawn! Walked my son to the bus at 8:20 and it was #($&^@ cold!!!!:D

But, even in this cold, as long as roads are acceptable I will take it out...do the speed limit or less just to enjoy the car without risking!:drive:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fully intend to be out tomorrow in my ACR, as it supposed to be mid 40's and sunny.
Just a matter of time before we get dumped on then it's over.
Everytime I put the car away on Sunday I'm wondering if it's the last trip for months like last year. It snowed every damn week and didn't go out for 10 weeks...

viperbuck93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of you guys make it soound like, if it drops below 50 degrees you cannot even idle the car down the road without it spinning out of control. I live in a very cold climate and very rarely take the car out for that very reason (COLD) but I will take it accasionally to stretch her legs, the car drives normal as long as the driver is normal. If you drive in the cold with cold tires the same way you do in the summer, you are asking for trouble! Be careful of cold roads and tires, wet surfaces, etc. and drive with some brains and you will be fine. Its the stupidity that causes problems.

My 2 cents. :)

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think we are basically all agreeing here!

Yes, agree John, tomorrow in this area will be much nicer than today...to darn cold today!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang