Torn between a 98GTS and an 01GTS

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Right now I'm contemplating these 2 cars just need some opinion on what you guys think

1998 1 owner Red GTS
18k miles on it, bone stock. Guy is a orthopedic surgeon and he said just cant drive it anymore. he bought it new and the car looks immaculate.

2001 2nd owner Yellow GTS.
The guy bought it 5k miles ago, Got full exhaust (engine back) and intake. Has 21k on the odo

Looking for one with ABS as this would be my first viper, leaning towards the 01. The only reason I'd go with the 98 is that it IS one owner.
Any input would be great!

Thanks for the space and the valuable advise given!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one owner stuff drives me crazy. Once you buy it, it is now a two owner car and you lost whatever extra you paid due to it being a one owner. Also, one owner can beat the crap out of a car just as easily as two. I would never buy a car my oldest brother has had even if he was the first owner. While it may be perfect on the outside and look mint, he drives the piss out of cars.

Buy the car you like best, period. What kind of shape is the 2001? 21K vs. 18K not much difference for cars that old. I have had both a 98 and an 01. ABS is a nice feature, and even though they are the same Gen car, my 01 just felt better. I like the yellow too... Now, the 98 has different internals I believe--do a search. Good luck and forget about the one owner stuff--IMO.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you are looking for ABS I think you have answered your own question. ABS was the reason I wanted an '01. :)

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your plans for the car? adding boost? if so, get the 98. if its gonna stay stock, get the 01.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The amount of owners dosnt mean much to me personally. I'd rather have a 5-owner car that was takencareof and well maintained than a 1-owner car that was abused. If that is the only thing holding you back from the 2001 then i say go for it:2tu:

Also consider all of the following:
- earlyGen2 vs LateGen2 (aka 708cam vs creampuff) (i like the lumpyness @ idle of the early Gen2's as compared to the smoothrunning lateGen2's)
- non-abs vs abs (i could care less)
- Red vs Yellow (being able to stripe a Yellow and make it a BumbleBee is a big plus in my book :)
- Wheels: 17" 5-Spokes vs 18" wide-spoke

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have stated, ignore the number of owners thing. If you like them equally well, perhaps go with the one who has the best maintenance logs. Sometimes you can get a warm and fuzzy feeling just looking how meticulously they took care of things... just a thought.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red and no ABS vs. Yellow and ABS.

Yellow - hands down! (Unless you have a HP addiction and you plan on adding boost)

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red and no ABS vs. Yellow and ABS.

Yellow - hands down! (Unless you have a HP addiction and you plan on adding boost)

I was thinking the same thing. Pretty easy decision unless there are plans for boost.

OP
OP
K

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the opinions and the info on the comparison. I think after reading all the responses, it's gonna be yellow. Both cars are solids.

Pricewise and mileage, they are pretty much identical. My plans are gonna be weekend driving with some road racing in there sometimes. Not gonna run boosted.

Guess its the 01 for me! now gotta figure out how I can get it in my garage 1000 miles away from its current garage. Passport is approx USD approx 1250, heard good and bad on em on this website

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used Tymberly Transport. He was extremely nice and competitive price wise. Called every other day to let me know where he was, which was a first in all of the cars I have had carried. I don't know where the car is, but he was headed out to California yesterday, and will be coming right back through Houston probably mid week. You might catch him on his way back and get a better deal if the car is west of Houston.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Right now I'm contemplating these 2 cars just need some opinion on what you guys think

1998 1 owner Red GTS
18k miles on it, bone stock. Guy is a orthopedic surgeon and he said just cant drive it anymore. he bought it new and the car looks immaculate.

2001 2nd owner Yellow GTS.
The guy bought it 5k miles ago, Got full exhaust (engine back) and intake. Has 21k on the odo

Looking for one with ABS as this would be my first viper, leaning towards the 01. The only reason I'd go with the 98 is that it IS one owner.
Any input would be great!

Thanks for the space and the valuable advise given!
Killer, Is That the ONLY 2 colors you could come up with! JUST KIDDING Guys, you know I'm not going there.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now gotta figure out how I can get it in my garage 1000 miles away from its current garage. Passport is approx USD approx 1250, heard good and bad on em on this website

Can you fly up one-way and drive it back? You already have miles on it, so what's another 1,000 on the odo?

Can't go wrong with VRY for the color. One of the best looking colors on the Viper.

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean "Got full exhaust (engine back) and intake"?
Adding boost to an 01' is not a problem, ask RSI in Houston.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont be a wimp. fly out and drive it home. what better way to learn and get used to your new viper

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean "Got full exhaust (engine back) and intake"?
Adding boost to an 01' is not a problem, ask RSI in Houston.

I was wondering what "intake" meant.....smooth tubes or airbox probably. Portmatching the intake to stock heads would be a lot of expense for nothing, same for an aftermarket intake.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it home ... it will be a trip that you'll always remember and what better way to get acquainted with your new love? Just get it thoroughly checked by a good Viper Tech before the trip.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving it home would be a great way to get adjusted to your new ride, not to mention a ton of fun!

If you decide to ship, I see you already spoke to Passport. No worries there they will take care of you and your new
Baby.

And don't forget to get to become a VCA member, you could get in on our latest raffle and end up with two new cars!

OP
OP
K

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, Yeah I am seriously thinking about driving it home. It might be fun and 1300 miles is really not that far.

When I said intake, I meant filters and smooth tubes. The guy has a full randomtech exhaust.

Does anyone live near Lapeer michigan? I would like to get it checked out before I fly out. Also who's a good viper tech up there?

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, Yeah I am seriously thinking about driving it home. It might be fun and 1300 miles is really not that far.

When I said intake, I meant filters and smooth tubes. The guy has a full randomtech exhaust.

Does anyone live near Lapeer michigan? I would like to get it checked out before I fly out. Also who's a good viper tech up there?
If it still has the original tires be very careful, mine was like driving on ice (very easy to get away from you). jmo

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't drive the non-ABS Viper. Everybody that has ever driven a non-ABS car dies within the first 1000 miles of ownership.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't read the specifics but, if you are going to mod the car above 550-600 HP then get the 98. The one owner thing is a bonus as well. As far as ABS goes, I hate that arguement because 99.9% of all Viper owners never drive their car in weather where ABS would actually help, so, don't base your descision soley on that. Besides, I've driven my 99 in the rain and, just to see how bad it was, went out in the middle of no where and did a slam from 60 and the car stopped fast with minimal lock up...maybe the last 20-30 feet or so. Anyway, get which one you like, not which one has ABS!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After meeting up with you last weekend, I think you should choose the Yellow one out of those 2, it has more of what you want.

OP
OP
K

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for the great feedback guys, my mind is pretty much made. The 01 also has an extended warranty still active plus its got new tires.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a nice 01

+1 for driving it home, (i drove mine 700 miles home), bring a friend, make fun stops, drive safe

:drive: