Torque specs for coilovers ???

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got new coilovers and i am putting them in sunday. I need to know the torque specs. I have read that the SRT10 are like 100ft pounds front and rear top and bottom and to finish tightening with the car on the ground. Are the specs the same for the Gen 2's? Is there any tips or tricks anyone can give me. Its an 02 ACR if that matters.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 01 rt/10 fronts both upper and lower are 100-rear shocks are upper 100-the shop manual says lowers are 140-some people have claimed that this is a misprint -however if you check the head marking on the rear shock lower bolt -it's a higher grade bolt than the others-so it is made for a higher torque-I talked to Tator about this and I think you would be safe at 120 on the rear lower bolt-some have snapped on him at 140-others don't-120 would be a good compromise-In theory you are supposed to ballast the car before tightening the bolts to their proper torque in order to achieve the proper ride height-with the wheels supporting the weight-A lot of guys don't bother with this and just jack up the car under the lower control arms to support the weight of the vehicle-then tighten to specs-Hope this helps some

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front and rear, upper and lower are all 100 ft-lbs. I read somewhere that someone snapped the rear lower bolt when going to 140 ft-lbs. The 140 figure appears to be a misprint, and if you think about it, there shouldn't be any torque value difference between the upper and lower bolts. When I removed my shock bolts for the first time since they were installed at the factory, the removal 'effort' seemed the same for all bolts and all four corners. A tip for the front is to remove the upper bolt completely to give you wiggle room to remove the lower bolt without removing the sway bar link. It's a tight fit, but can be persuaded with a screwdriver and hammer. R&R on the rears is very straightforward on an RT/10, can't speak for the GTS though.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I Stated above-The lower rear bolt is a higher grade bolt than the rest of the bolts-It's a metric rating of 10-the others are only 9's- It's like the difference between a grade 5 and grade 8 standard A higher grade bolt-even though the same diameter ,has a higher torque spec than a lower grade-The grade markings are right on the top of the bolt-120 would be fine for the rear lower bolts

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the 140 torque in the book is wrong .it's been wrong for many years -because that's the torque that is in the 96 manual and still in the 01 manual also-I'm not saying go to 140-but a good compromise would be 120-bolt would not snap at 120-They want it tighter than the others or they wouldn't have made the lower bolt a higher grade

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. It will help on sunday. I will take some before and after pics.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I'm Saying is Chuck Tator told me 140 is correct and sometimes they have snapped-I personally torqued my old bolts to 140 and had no problems,but I backed them off to 120 just to be safe-I don't care what he torques them to -it's his car-I was just trying to help

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kenphjr:3176972 said:
All I'm Saying is Chuck Tator told me 140 is correct and sometimes they have snapped-I personally torqued my old bolts to 140 and had no problems,but I backed them off to 120 just to be safe-I don't care what he torques them to -it's his car-I was just trying to help
Thanks that is useful info. Just trying to wade through all the rumors about the 140 figure.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick, I'll be coming down to PSL in July-maybe I can get to see your car

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright did 120 lb-ft today and all is well. Must say it was suspenseful though . . . will the wrench click before the bolt snaps?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960