Touch Up Paint

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I picked up my Viper I asked the dealer to order some Viper GTS blue touch up paint in case I get any small paint chips. On my BMW, they sell the touch up paint as a kit containing two tubes: One for the color coat and a separate tube for the clearcoat. My dealer believed that Dodge only sells one tube containing the colored base coat paint. When I do touch ups on my cars I like to get as close to a clean finish as possible; that means applying three to four layers of colored paint with a toothpick. After drying, then applying one to two coats of clearcoat. Then sanding down the paint blob level with the surrounding area with a fine grit 1200 wet sanding block and then polishing area with 3M Imperial Hand glaze and then coat of wax.

I assume that Vipers are base coat/clear coat cars just like most cars. Does anyone know if Dodge sells the clear coat paint as well and if not, what is the logic of not selling the clear coat paint. Has anyone used a substitute clear coat of Dodg does not sell it?

Anal, I know but thanks for humoring me.

/Rich

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a small tube of GTS blue that looks like it's dried up. I don't remember having a clear coat tube though. I guess I'll have to order more myself.

3wide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar does not offer the kit but does have separate tubes for color, clear coat and primer. Market research has shown that most people only want the color due to the cost (same at Ford & GM). Mopar is currently transitioning to the "2 in 1" style applicator (ball point pen type and brush) for easier application.

Regards,

3wide

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, I got one of those ball point pen things at O'Reilly (black is black, most of the time) and it works very well. May be better than the felt tip ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang