Touchless Car Wash 1 - Me: SOAKING wet... calling all Verts

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just wanted to give her a quick bath today and i went to the touchless car wash. What a mistake that was, water came in from every direction. Granted these are power washes but I was soaking wet through the windows and from the back part of the convertible roof. Now i've been in cars where water comes in through the window seals, fine...i get it. Does anybody else have this problem? I mean I dont plan on driving in the rain, but the worst part is that I can hear the water going into the door jams and I'm SURE water and electrical **** don't mix. What have you done or what can I do to remedy this problem?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I don't think rain is gonna yield the same results of directionally pressured water from a car wash.
Probably nothing wrong at all with the car. imho

Clyde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 'vert is never driven in the rain, but I did run it through a touchless car wash once and the result was exactly the same as yours--EXACTLY!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've soak mine down prior to detailing at a do it yourself bay, but never direct the high pressure right at the windows or top. I have also drive the car in torrential, driving rain for almost 90 miles, and don't have any leakage issues. Mine is an 03.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Vipers are built in CAAP they go thru the water test and check for leaks. It looks like a carwash with torrential amounts of water flooding the car. They thoroughly inspect for leaks. Is this on Coupes only?

Bruce

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine 400 miles in torrential pouring rain form Salt Lake City to Las Vegas on the way home from VOI 11. No leaks, not a drop. 08 Vert

OP
OP

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking VyprByt might be right...I had to laugh a little bit because my guess is if I ever get caught in a downpour that would be the only time I drive when it's wet and I am assuming that it wouldnt leak through. But when I have water coming out at the same velocity as Niagara Falls after a hurricane I should expect a bit of water to follow the path of least resistance.

Clyde - Did you have a fix for it or just take it in stride and learn from it?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been caught in some serious downpours and had no issues with water coming in. A touchless car wash is another story. I ran mine through one after driving it back from Indy in the snow when I bought it. I figured I'd run it through to blast underneath pretty well and just get all the road crap off the car. My passenger and I got the exact same surprise you did. It didn't leak, it SHOT streams of water into the car on both sides where the back of the window meets the top. Lesson learned, no more touchless car washes.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, learned that the hard way in a vert Mustang I used to have back in the day, my Dad laughed his ass off and said "don't you know you can't take convertibles through a car wash!?" But hey, how'd he find out, hmmm think about it :lmao:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, learned that the hard way in a vert Mustang I used to have back in the day, my Dad laughed his ass off and said "don't you know you can't take convertibles through a car wash!?" But hey, how'd he find out, hmmm think about it :lmao:

Lol
Wisdom is usually a result of the school of hard knocks! :D

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven my 2006 in hard rain for hours.. Left it parked on the show field in the rain for hours last year at Saratoga and then drove home in the rain a few hours more... never a drop inside. (in fact, at 80mph with the roof OPEN you'll find a light amount of rain will blow right over and not get inside)

When I wash it I mostly avoid the top with the sprayer, but a few small drops do get through right near the top of the window seals, so I can only imagine with a direct hit at high pressure....

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just took my 03 to the drive in this morning. Was careful NOT to use high pressure, just lightly went over her with the hose and soap - no leakage.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 91 camaro vert, bought new, owners manual stated to not drive through a car wash hand wash only. Found out why the first time I used one might as well left the windows down. Still has original top and seals and never leaks in heavy downpours. Last convertible Vette I had only handwashed so don't know about that one.

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wifes BMW Z4 was the same way: Rain/no problem, heavy rain/no problem, touchless car wash/better learn to duck!!

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first things that came to mind was : hahahahahahahaha ;) but hey, the car is talking to you, she wants you to give her tha bath....:headbang:

OP
OP

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first things that came to mind was : hahahahahahahaha ;) but hey, the car is talking to you, she wants you to give her tha bath....:headbang:

Truth be told. It was quite the site. Here I am sitting in the car looking at my phone next thing I know I'm spitting water out my mouth, water all over my face and shirt. Nothing I could do. Water comes back around again same thing. All I could really do was laugh. Dried it up and lesson learned.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem in my 08 Vert. My wife and I were returning from a Regional VCA trip to Canada. Car was covered in bugs so I thought what the heck take it to the touch less car wash. We both got soaked but we laughed our a$$e$ off at my stupidity. Oh, and it also caused two small windshield cracks to go all the way across the windshield. That didn't bother me because I knew it had to replace it anyway.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glade to see im not the only one who had this problem. I thought something was wrong with my cars seals. I've been caught in the rain with no problems. But after one time at the touch less i've learned my lesson. Now I handwash only.

Clyde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking VyprByt might be right...I had to laugh a little bit because my guess is if I ever get caught in a downpour that would be the only time I drive when it's wet and I am assuming that it wouldnt leak through. But when I have water coming out at the same velocity as Niagara Falls after a hurricane I should expect a bit of water to follow the path of least resistance.

Clyde - Did you have a fix for it or just take it in stride and learn from it?
I just learned from it! Since I don't drive it in the rain I rarely have to really wash it that much, but when I do--I do it by hand now.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never drive even my truck thru a car wash...detergents are too harsh....especially detergents in a touchless coin operated robotic wash you see behind gas stations.

Also high press water spray bad.

Also when hand washing... have a hose in one hand and paly water over area being washed ( using a microfiber)

Or take it to a detail shop for a hand wash.

jmho

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should try a car wash in a Gen 1

EXACTLY!!! I had the car "hand washed" on Saturday. Even with the Lemke top you have to tell the washer "the top and windows are NOT water tight - don't spray them directly". Then you still drive away with a wet butt & water dripping on your left knee.

TrapperJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 09 vert. When I take it to a brushless car wash I take a large towel and hold it up against the window edges when the high pressure rinse comes around.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was cought in a down pour that was so bad I had to pull over cause I could not see past the winshield and to my surprize there was no leaks what so ever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte