TPS programing?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set wheels and tires that came with the new TPS sensors. I brought vehicle to the dealer to program sensors. Less than hour later and $140 out from my CC I get Service manager telling me that sensors been reprogrammed. I take the car, drive it on the freeway for about 5-10 miles and light "low tires" come up again :-(. I went off of the freeway, checked tires and air was showing 33PSI in all four tires. I took car home disconnected the battery and after a 10 min connected it again and cool no "low tire" message that is until I take it for a drive and than same thing happens.
What could it be? Is that possible that dealer didn't fully programed those TPS sensors, but simply disconnected battery, which gave him and me faulty assurance that TPS is programed?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Pain in the asp.

Go back and let the dealer hook the scan tool to it...then re-try on programming.
I HOPE your sensor(s) aren't too old as batteries run down after about 5 years.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pain in the asp.

Go back and let the dealer hook the scan tool to it...then re-try on programming.
I HOPE your sensor(s) aren't too old as batteries run down after about 5 years.

Total pain, especially considering that the closest dealer is 50 miles from where I live and on top of it they don't work on Saturday.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's possible that the new sensors' identity codes were not correctly entered and/or that the specific sequential steps in programming them were not followed or were incompletely "registered". I have had to do this more than once with a DRB III on a couple of Vipers. The detection of a fault will be delayed 70 seconds once you are rolling (also need to reach speed of 20 mph).

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TPMS system mystifies me. On my old 03 the TPMS malfunction indicator would beep and light up all the time. Had to have it serviced like 4 times. If I changed wheels with different sensors in them (I have a couple of sets), the same thing would happen. Now I have an 06 and I've got a second set of wheels on the car with sensors that have never been programmed to the car and the TPMS indicator is silent and not lit. I don't get it. Are the 06 cars adaptive to new sensors in the wheels? ie. do they read the new codes automatically without reprogramming with a DRB III?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Interesting, gbatejan. And my answer is that I doubt your 06 Viper has adaptive TPS capability...noting that our 08 Viper does not. Our 06 Jeep Commander seems to"adjust" to tire rotation automatically.

When trying to reset the TPS on the 08 Viper with a wiTECH and finding out that I needed to use my DRB III on it, I had a conservation with wiTECH support who got "Chrysler engineering support" involved (live)...noting that the Viper TPS system was described in such a way as to say "it only met the minimum standard".

All of that aside, I really don't know the answer to your question.

If I were you, I'd drop the pressures low enough to trip the warning light/alarm just to see if your TPS module/system worked at all.

We need a pro to step in here!!!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPMS sensors are not automatically learned/sync'd with the car just by putting them on the car. We use a TPMS reset scan tool to sync them to the car. Every car has some "relearn" mode that the car must be put into, then you usually start with the front left tire, working your way around clockwise to each consecutive tire with the scan tool.

How it works is this: The car being put into "relearn" mode basically makes the car listen for those TPMS sensor signals. The scan tool activates the sensor, forcing it to set off a signal that the car listens for. You simply do this at each tire, and the car stores the signal for each wheel. Every sensor has its own ID, which is why this must be done each time you change a sensor or set of wheels.

You can find inexpensive TPMS scan/reset tools online. Here is a good site to learn about TPMS sensors, and also an entry-level TPMS tool that everyone who changes tires frequently should have. They work on just about every new car with these sensors.

Wheelrite TECH300 TPMS Tools - Wheelrite TECH300 from Bartec USA

Tony

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ACTUALLY USED one of the "aftermarket" tools referenced above to successfully reset the TPM system on a 2008-2009 Viper???

Thanks!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"How much are the aftermarket tools?"

Good question...have seen prices range
fromb $500-900+

UPDATE:

The knowledgeable, very helpful tech folks at Bartech told me that they were NOT sure that their TECH 300 Plus or TECH 400 Plus models would indeed work in the "relearn" function on the 2008-2010 Vipers.

The tech support gentleman is inquiring on our behalf (said he would contact Chrysler) in an attempt to be CERTAIN that the tool will (or will not) work.

He said that he would contact me next week with the answers.

Reaction score
The DRB will show which sensor is showing the code, this will help narrow the problem sensor down. If no sensors are bad then the module is the problem.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Another update:

Michael at Bartech has offered to send me a unit to be tested on Gen III and Gen IV Vipers!!!

This is MOST kind... and responsive!!!

Will post results...and I am sure hoping that this unit will do the trick as it is WAY smaller and MUCH less expensive that a DRB III !!!

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DRB will show which sensor is showing the code, this will help narrow the problem sensor down. If no sensors are bad then the module is the problem.

Mark, I just wish our dealerships in Nor Cal would be as knowledgeable as you are. I could not even get an error message from the service manager.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know with my GM's, ie; my Z06 and my Durmax, I hit lock and unlock together on the factory remote to go into learn mode - and then take the magnetic wheel sensor starting from the front left...and I hit the button on the tool at each wheel until each wheel is learned in sequence. My Viper however, needs to be taken to the dealer to relearn the new TPMS units...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, the Bartec "Wheelrite" Tech400 arrived today!!

My tech contact asked that I DO NOTHING with the unit until we can talk "live".

Though I am anxious to test this on our 03 and 08 Vipers...I will wait for more instructions to be SURE that I am doing this correctly. It IS a slick little unit...just need to PROVE that it will work on our TPM systems.

Stay tuned!!

Dr. Sandman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
gbatejan,I suspect the TPMS module on your car is not working at all or the different set of wheels should have tripped the light without ever being programed.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, test # 1 today was successful !!!

Took a 2008 Viper for a 6 mile run, then using the Bartec TECH400, I selected "Vehicle type-Dodge-Viper...and "2003+" came up automatically. Then, starting at the left front tire, I held the instrument next to the valve stem, on the tire touching no metal. By pushing test, a pressure reading appeared, along with the end of the "beeping"...and an arrow pointing one to the right front tire...and so on.

Then, off to the computer, connecting through the USB port...and the test data appeared...showing TPM sensor OEM part number, serial umber, and pressure!!

Neat!!

However, after speaking with the friendly, professional, and patient folks at Bartec, I'm concer ned about "communication" with the TPM module...as are they.

When the weather cooperates, I hope to do some more real-life testing...trying to induce a "low tire" warning, and attempting a reset. An attempt to "re-learn" will have to wait for new sensors.

Stay tuned!

THANKS John, Lisa, Michael !!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Today I attempted to read all 4 tire pressure sensors on our 2003 SRT-10. I figured that this car would give more useful info since it has already set a DTC with the usual warning light and tone that appear as one drives off.

The Bartec Wheelrite TECH400 was placed next to the LF tire...with zero results (this is the known dead sensor). Then, while preceeding clockwise around the car as directed on the tool, I was able to read the 3 remaining sensors' serial numbers, all three tire pressures...and print same via the USB link to my computer.

When I connected the TECH400 to the DLC(OBD II port), the tool powered up...but could do nothing...no ability to connect to the module, so no data, no DTC, etc. As a cross-check, I attached my DRB III to the DLC and could read everything...including the option to erase the DTC (I did not) and register sensors, etc.

So at this point, and after further consultation with the REALLY helpful and accomodating folks at Bartec, I'll have to admit that I cannot get this tool to communicate with our Gen III or Gen IV Vipers. So at this time, it would appear that this tool will not help with resetting the TPS system, removing flashing lights/tones, or the "re-learn" or registration process with n sensors.

John at Bartec has ask me to inquire as to whether or not any Viper owners in the Stirling Heights, MI would be willing to cooperate in a test of a 2003-2006 Viper and/or 2008-2010 Viper. If someone wants to volunteer, call John at 866-407-8767.

There is reason to HOPE that this fine tool could Be "expanded" so as to work on our cars. SORRY that I could not demonstrate same!!

By the way, Nine Ball...thanks for putting me on to this tool...wish it worked better...please note it is NOT cheap at a retail list price of $2700.00....though considerably less than a new DRB III in the $6500.00 range!!! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4