TRACK RECORD!

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year (2010) I set the production car track record at my local track - Race City Speedway in Calgary. My time was 1:19.5.

I had set a goal for myself of a lap at less than 80 seconds - 1:20. I achieved that by 1/2 a second. I was absolutely overjoyed!

Race City will be destroyed at the end of this season, the track will be replaced by a landfill water retention pond and the next closest track is about 1000km away - so I started thinking.......

I've done many laps this season in the high 1:19's so I felt that if I had a fresh car, new brake pads and new tires at the same time that I might take a shot at my record.

I also know that there's a local guy - a very fast guy - with a ZR-1 that's been gunning for my record. He's even been modifying his car to make it faster - but he still hasn't beat the 1:19.5 - his best is a 1:20.0. And now he's even running slicks.

Meanwhile, the condition of the track has deteriorated markedly. It's been getting the absolute basic repairs just to make it to the end of this season, which is next weekend. Would it possible, with the track conditions to get a fastest lap? Especially with the weather getting quite cold? I needed to try.

So last Monday I ordered a new set of skins and had them mounted on Friday. On Saturday morning (in clear but freezing conditions) I went and took my shot.

First hot lap, 1:19.7 - pretty good.
Second hot lap, 1:19.3 - I DID IT! I DID IT! I was so overjoyed that I 'welled' up a bit - but I kept my foot on the throttle down the long front straight. I knew I was close to the 18's and that I might have a shot at it.
Third hot lap, 1:18.8 - more joy, more emotion - but my foot stayed down. Unbelievable - the 18's.....
Fourth hot lap, 1:18.6 - almost in tears, but my foot stayed down!
Fifth hot lap, 1:18.4!!!! I couldn't continue. I was spent. I gave it everything I had, and that was it. 1:18.4. FANTASTIC! Just then a Corvette pulled out of pit lane to block my next lap anyway, so I cooled down, composed myself and returned to the pits.

I can't tell you how happy I am - 1:18.4.

By the end of the day yesterday I started getting congratulatory phone calls and text messages - word get's around fast in the motorsport community.

So, the track will die with Viper holding the production car lap record.

Fantastic.

Greg

VIPPY2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg;

Well Done; the Viper remains king of the track!!

Next year I would like to work with our members to organize a track event; in the past we have rented the oval track in Vernon BC. You may have attended one of the events? Would you please review the track details and advise on the feasibility of holding a combined event; auto-X for the novice and conservative drivers; and a lapping event for the more experienced drivers.

The link is www.motoplexspeedway.com

Give me a call or email when you have a chance; we can discuss regulatory requirements, insurance, sponsorship and instructors time.

Thanks,

Jim

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FANTASTIC GREG!!!!:headbang:
I have ridden with you and know what a great driver you are.:drive:It does not surprise me, but to go out breaking your own record, not only once, but:omg: four times is amazing. A big hearty congratulations from the Red Deer boys.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Greg, I also know and Cindy knows how great of a driver you are, Doesn't surprise me at all as I felt you would beat it. Good Job, ACR's Rule the track.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Congratulations Greg. Very cool to see Vipers holding track records world wide. The car is awesome and it takes a great driver as well to get those results.

1OF76RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contests Greg. Once again thanks for getting some of us on the track, for me a least, without you I am sure that would have probably never happened

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - this all means a great deal to me.

I really wasn't sure I could do it, but I knew I was going to give it a fair shot. I'm still giddy with joy!

The guy with the ZR-1 (a really, really nice guy BTW) who was unaware that 15 minutes earlier I done the 1:18.4 - came up to me on Saturday and said, 'I did a 1:20 flat, and that's all this tracks got today'. I smiled and said 'yep'.

Greg
Greg

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations.

It is a fantastic feeling when everything comes together and falls into place.

Sounds like you have your Viper and skills well honed.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a great track day! One you won't forget. I did my fastest lap ever in my GTS at Putnam with snow flakes flying on scrub VRL's. I think its mental. These cars have more than any amateur can wring out of them.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!!!, I can imagine how great you must feal.
It is my goal to someday set a track record at my local track. I actualy think about it fairly often...:drive:

'I did a 1:20 flat, and that's all this tracks got today'.

LMAO. cause Apperently he is a perfect driver and the track conditions are the only thing that will make him faster...LOL

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Way To Go GREG !!! I watched you drive (and pass me easily) at Miller, and KNOW you are one-fast-guy.... Congrats.I held a simple class record for 2 seasons back in 94-95, and it feels good... "Retiring" the record along with the track is fantastic. You should get TIMBO here to make you an aluminum plaque to document your accomplishment. Really!

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I've been teaching racing schools for years plus I have national level racing titles - so I know what to do. I just decided that today was the day that I was going to apply everything I knew, and it worked out.

A big part is mental, and knowing I had fresh tires and brakes prepared me - I was good to go.

I actually bought a set of new rotor rings from Jon B last year but didn't install them until this summer - they, along with fresh pads and a good set of sport cups put me in a mental position to really carry speed into the corners.

I'll be one sad dude next summer when the track is gone......

Greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21