Track tire size options for stock gen 2 rims

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of track tires for some open road course sessions. I have the stock gen 2 rims that I will use. I am considering Toyo R888 as I need to drive the car to the track. I will go with the stock 335/30/18 for the rear but what is the best size option for the front? I don't want to run into any rubbing issues and the suspension settings will be stock. After reading some posts it looks like upsizing the fronts may be beneficial.

Thanks.:)

Bandit400

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact JonB @ Parts Rack. He usually has the best prices on Wheels & Tires....Get them as a package.

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to use the stock gen 2 rims since I have them. I understand that these rims are not ideal because of the weight but they are free. This is my initial foray into the road course. Thanks.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh definitely call up JonB for the tires, he will give you the best deal and he's fast on delivery.

I drive to the track so I run a street tire as well, I run the PS2's, I havn't tried the Toyo's but I have heard good things about them. The PS2's do well in the rain AND at the track, and they last a long time....they just take a few laps to warm up. I run 295s up front.

Last edited:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bandit400,

Go old school, like back in the Viper Days Series when Bobby Archer was running the tire program. Install a set of these and you can drive to & from the track.

Hoosier R6 ( Track & Competition DOT ):usa:
335/30 ZR-18 Rears ( option )
345/35 ZR-18 Rears ( option )
295/30 ZR-18 Fronts

Now these tires for sure will stick to the Track & lower your ET.

Just my 2 cents worth, well maybe 3 cents.

Good luck with your purchase & keep us posted.

Toddy

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'nuther option-Kumho V700's. 305's up front on the OE 18"s
I've got a set "like new" if interested. Never tracked. All hwy miles. Also have extra set of wheels. (just an idea :D)

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help, I have a line on a new set Toyo R888 295/30 for the front and 335/30 for the rear at a great price. They will be mounted on my spare set of gen 2 rims.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Another option is Luke at the Tire Rack ( ext. 362 ) , as he has helped tons of Viper owners over the years.

I think you would be better off with the Toyo RA1s instead of the triple 8s , as this tire was used by Spec Miata and the World Challenge and not liked at all. The Toyos do tend to last longer than some of the other brands, and you don't really want to run Hoosiers on the street ( though they are fantastic for the track ).

There are a couple of new options to review, and this is a good reason to chat with Luke, as all he does is tires.

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse