Track tires?

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put my car on the track for the first time at Mid-Ohio. Wow, finally a
chance to run it hard in 3rd & 4th gear. I found that I need practice and a new
set of tires. I have XGZ's, or something like that. A couple of other experienced viper racers informed me that these a terrible track tires, too hard. The '02 ACR there was running Pilots. Is this the best street/track tire?
I don't want to get into changing to track slicks...yet.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check over on the supplier specials board... there was a discussion about this... I think it was Kumho (sp?) tires they were recommending? Cheaper then pilots.. very sticky so good for track, but therefore short-lasting.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoosier sells a DOT legal tire that is just a blast. At Thunderhill they were good for about 4 seconds over the stock Pilot Sports on my ACR, probably more with more experience (my first time). They're expensive ($1200) and they don't offer any kind of durability like street tires. Tire Rack has them.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron wrote:
The best street/track tire would be the new Michelin Pilot "CUP" tires, not the sports, almost as good as a Hoosier.

In other words, the best street/track tire is the Hoosier, un politically correct as it is. :)

I should note the hoosiers aren't recommended for the street as they're a bit on the delicate side and may not stand up to foreign objects generally deposited in most of our roadways.

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was leaning toward the Pilots. I wasn't aware of the CUPS,
thanks guys. As far as Hoosiers, definately the best. I learned that after spending two days watching Subaru Imprezas with Hoosier slicks eat me up in the corners. [******] that all wheel drive. I don't want to get into the tire changing at the track and hauling the tires there yet, so for now the Hoosiers will have to wait. Thanks again for the info.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Cups are a nice tire but last I heard they will not be offered in stock 17" Viper tire sizes :( so you will need to get some 18" wheels..

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cups are a nice tire but last I heard they will not be offered in stock 17" Viper tire sizes so you will need to get some 18" wheels..

DOH!
Pilot sports or Khumos?

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....but is anyone not buying Michelin's because of their French ownership or considering other brands for this reason?

DOH! DOH!
Khumos it is.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
If and when you are ready for track tires only, get in touch with me. I have a friend that
supplies the Indy cars with slicks. He sells slicks that have been run for 2 or3 laps
on the Indy cars and they are cheep. Around $60.00 each. I have been using these
tires for the last 10 years and would not go to the track without them. Used them first on my Vette
and now I use them on the Viper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire