Trade-in value????????

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to get a car so one of my sports cars has to go to make room, unfortunately my 04 viper with 6600 miles on it is the target, At first I was looking to get a Cadillac Escalade to replace my H2 (I need a truck for towing) . right next to the escalade was the new Cadillac CTS-V with the diamond package. What a nice car. So it got me thinking this would be nice for a dd for summer, they had interest in my viper and gave me a trade in value of $41k….i didn’t think that was a bad first offer? What do you guys think???

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya but how much are they pile driveing you on the other car?????

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW for this time of year thats not bad at all unless the mark-up on the car your buying is $10k to much. But if the selling price for what your buying is fair at all Id jump at that trade in. And dont forget the trade in tax break on the $41k.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there telling me the CTS-V are in demand of course...but the sticker is 69,000 with the blacked out package (diamond package).....

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bull **** they are in demand, see how much they are in demand at another dealer. you need to find a real sales guy, not a crook bs/er

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$41K is a decent trade-in for an '04. How much they are "piling on" is easily recognizable in that you should have some idea of how much above dealer cost you want to pay for the car. If sticker is what they are asking for and they have the law of demand vs. supply in their favor, then expect to pay sticker if you really want the car and want it now.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like mid $60's to $70's is what dealers are asking for the diamond package with blacked out wheels and everything. I guess it just depends on the location and options as to whether or not you are getting hosed on the new car.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell that clown that money is in high demand also- and if he wants to make a trade, start to even up the trade a little more, people arnt in line for the car, but they are for money.... lol

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased my 09 v 6speed new for 56000. That was when GM was in bankrupty, but the sticker price was 64,000.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell that clown that money is in high demand also- and if he wants to make a trade, start to even up the trade a little more, people arnt in line for the car, but they are for money.... lol

lol i like that, money is in high demand...they are at 28 and my car

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tellem 25k and your car or no deal. Thats fair for both

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not go over $20K and your car (assuming you owe nothing on your Viper)..... Cadillacs typically suffer horrible resale as used vehicles...I have bought a few used..they are great cars but I got them for about 50% of cost new... two years old with average mileage on them.......

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OP is correct for now...the diamond Black CTS-V is in demand....even with my USAA buyer discount 68 thousand is the best you can do on a new car.... If you can wait until January or February,when more hit the lots, you can expect a few more thousand off. Also look at the Cadillac forums for club friendly dealers......

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned 2 Cadillacs. The quality was very poor,and had a boat load of electrical issues. My new sedan with the Famous Northstar V8 burned a quart of oil every 2000 miles due to poor valve train engineering,so GM put a bigger oil pan on car !! After 2 years I sold it and lost 20,000$ Guys are right. The paint looks nice but the engineering is sketchy. Go to 5 more dealerships for a better price and keep walking away until they quote you a Real price

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want see what they are really giving go make your best cash deal. Dont mention a trade. Once you have the best price tell them you want to trade. Its the only way you will know what youre getting for your car. All that matters is the difference anyway.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to get a car so one of my sports cars has to go to make room, unfortunately my 04 viper with 6600 miles on it is the target, At first I was looking to get a Cadillac Escalade to replace my H2 (I need a truck for towing) . right next to the escalade was the new Cadillac CTS-V with the diamond package. What a nice car. So it got me thinking this would be nice for a dd for summer, they had interest in my viper and gave me a trade in value of $41k….i didn’t think that was a bad first offer? What do you guys think???
I think they are about to bend you over for about 4k :(

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want see what they are really giving go make your best cash deal. Dont mention a trade. Once you have the best price tell them you want to trade. Its the only way you will know what youre getting for your car. All that matters is the difference anyway.

What he said, but at this point you have to try this at another dealer.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned 2 Cadillacs. The quality was very poor,and had a boat load of electrical issues. My new sedan with the Famous Northstar V8 burned a quart of oil every 2000 miles due to poor valve train engineering,so GM put a bigger oil pan on car !! After 2 years I sold it and lost 20,000$ Guys are right. The paint looks nice but the engineering is sketchy. Go to 5 more dealerships for a better price and keep walking away until they quote you a Real price

what year cadillac's are you taking about?? The new V is an awesome car. Paint/interior/engine/brakes you name it. My E46 M3's interior looks like hell compared to the new V's. Im not saying there isn't better but consider 569Hp with luxury for 60-70G's, not bad if you look at the competition. Sure they depreciate quickly like most cars do, so buy used and save yourself the new car depreciation.
I give props to you guys that can keep walking into dealerships car shopping, I have zero time to be doing that plus I would get aggravated quickly negotiating.
You may save your self a few bucks, but damn spend that time at your job and make a few extra bucks to pay for it.lol
Unless you guy enjoy it, (which you may) then go for it..:) Ive been trying to get into a dealer near me to just go over some options and leave a deposit on a truck I need ordered and its been a month and I cant find time to do that...:rolaugh:

Anyways to the OP, I couldnt tell you if thats a good deal or not but it is a bad ass car.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The "don't mention the trade" tactic is useless in my opinion because there is no way they are going to make a deal if they can't reach a certain margin by either making up the difference in the price of the car or increasing the interest rate on the loan if you choose to finance through them. The bottom line is knowing what your trade is worth, what the invoice or dealer cost of the new car plus how much holdback there is if any, and finally, what your credit score is if you chose to take advantage of any offered incentive financing before you walk into the dealership (the internet gives us the ability to do that). With all of that information known upfront, you now have the power to make a wise purchase decision. If they can't make money off you, they most certainly will off someone if it's a relatively highly sought after vehicle (demand vs. supply).

Last edited:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for buying a new vehicle: the advantage for the seller is to start at MSRP and work down. The advantage for the buyer is to start at dealer invoice less holdback (if any) and work up. Know what you trade is worth and for goodness sakes, please know your credit score before you set foot in a dealership so you'll already know if you're one of those "well-qualified buyers".

Last edited:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$41k is a hell of a trade in for that car. And I agree with the others, somehow or another the dealer is going to make that up.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for buying a new vehicle: the advantage for the seller is to start at MSRP and work down. The advantage for the buyer is to start at dealer invoice less holdback (if any) and work up. Know what you trade is worth and for goodness sakes, please know your credit score before you set foot in a dealership so you'll already know if you're one of those "well-qualified buyers".

^^^ yes, and also if there is any factory to dealer incentives (either dollor amount or percentage).