Trade In?

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this a long time, and I would like to get all the opinions from you guys that I can, because almost all of you are older and wiser than me. I have been talking about buying a Viper when I turned 21 on here since I registered to this forum when I was 17 (many of you probably remember some of my posts.) I'm 20 now, and will be 21 in seven short months, and I've been putting a lot of thought into this lately. I've graduated tech school, started a great new career as a land surveyor/draftsman, and I'm seriously thinking about going for the Viper. The only thing is I will probably have to trade in my pride and joy- my '98 Lincoln Navigator. How many of you guys traded in your cars on your Viper? I know a lot of people on the board traded in their Vettes, have you looked back since? I drive a company truck, and the Navigator barely gets driven, so I was thinking I should just get the Viper while I'm still young and stupid. Sorry for the long post, this has just been bugging the hell out of me. Thanks to everyone for looking, and sorry for it being so long.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go for it. I traded a Stealth and another Viper for a Viper, and bought one outright, and am thinking of trading my wifes Corvette for an '02 RT/10 (hope that won't get me in too much trouble). Just be carefull in it, because they are beasts that can bite you. I lost my brother in a Corvette at 26 and I was right behind him in a 454 Corvette at 18. That was 30 years ago.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see you live in PA. You would have to get another car to use during the winter therefore you must take that cost into account. Insurance costs for a 21 year old on a Viper probably will be very steep. As you can see, there is a lot more to ownership than just purchasing the car. Have you owned any fast rwd cars before? If not, I would not suggest buying a Viper as your first car. Personally, it would have been too much car for me at that age. I was a much more aggressive driver at 21 than I am now. I guess it just depends on how you plan to use the car. Just something to think about.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am 20 right now and I have owned a viper since I was 19 and it was my first car so no need for a trade in but I sure as hell would have traded in anything or anyone if I had to.

My viper is my pride and joy so to answer your question YES I would however ERDOC brings up a very good point that I will be the first to admit at my age I drive a little too crazy to have ANYTHING with ANY power,so if you drive aggressive be very careful because the snake is no joke it is one of the badest cars out there and it will "bit you back" as Tom said.

To answer your other question I have spoken to many many people on here who have traded vettes and not a 1 looks back,just to give you an example of that my dad is a die hard vette fan (or should I say was) as of a year ago in his mind a vette was the best thing since sliced bread and he owned em all, so last year (end of 03) I get my viper my dads all like "nice car but its not in the same league as my vette" so I throw em the keys and say take it for a spin so he does and the entire 1 hour drive (he killed all my gas) he said 3 things over and over 1.holy **** 2.jesus Christ 3.wow , so we get home and I ask em hows it compare to the vette no lie the next day the vette was for sale and it sold within a week and I cant get him away from my car.

Sorry for the long a$$ story just tryin to prove a point, many people told me 1. not to get that car 2.you will never get that car but i was determined to get a viper as my first car and it was I say go for it as long as you can 1.use that work truck in the winter 2.afford insurence (get state farm there pretty good on high end cars) 3.handle the amazing power and most of all 4. deal with the gas (because the snake ***** on gas).

Good luck

if you need any more help let me know I will help anyway I can.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these guys make valid points. It's a tough decision. I sold one of my muscle cars to get into my Viper. Never looked back. If you can restrain crazy impulses and afford the ins, I'd do it. I'm 61 and my ins is $1200 a year. Always let them think you can, never prove you can't(although in a Snake the odds are in your favor). And Stugots probably made a typo "snake ***** UP gas" . Good luck, AT :cool:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,
I have owned almost 60 cars and would rather be hit by a truck than trade anything in. Though selling outright is a hassle, I always do it.

OP
OP
S

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far guys. I would like to point out that I am not a very aggressive driver, that is why I'm 20 years old and drive a Navigator, not a ridiculous looking import or a Sh!tstang (sorry to anybody into Mustangs, I just hate them.) I've wanted a Viper since I was 6 when I saw the concept for it in a magazine. I don't plan on driving it even with the slightest chance of rain, so needless to say I will be driving the work truck in the winter. STUGOTS, I can relate; everybody always tells me I'll never own one, but I can guarantee I WILL own one. I'm looking to spend no more than $45,000, so anybody in my area keep a lookout on '96 Blue/White GTS for me for around $45K :laugh: GraphiteGTS, I was thinking of selling, but was mainly just wondering if you guys think it's a good idea to just go for it. Thanks again!!

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with "Graphite GTS"! I would not trade-in my Navigator if I were you. If you are serious about buying a Viper then I would sell my Navigator out right now and buy something that is going to get you through the harsh Pa. winter. I would then think about getting ready to buy my viper during the winter where you should be able to get some pretty good deals. I got rid of a 99 Corvette with a 383 Stroker "Doug Rippie Motor"to get my second viper and I sold the vette outright after having it only 12 months. I have not looked back since. I want to echo what everyone else is saying,"be very careful with the viper". If you have never driven anything with any amount of serious torque, you could really get yourself hurt. Take your time driving the car....... Good Luck!

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has great points here, nothing to turn down. If your going to buy a Viper to keep over the years and not sell it 5 years down the road, I would seriously consider what you are going to need to invest in...tires, fluid changes and will you be okay not being supercharged :)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like they said, you will need a winter car. If you can take your company truck out on dates in the winter, ok.

Probably, you would be better off selling the suv and getting an s-10 or an F-150.

There are plenty of Vipers out there for $45k. I would advise you to think twice about the blue and white Viper.
They look nice and lots of people want one.

The problem is, you will pay a hefty premium for that color. In fact, you could probably save enough to buy that extra car/truck by getting some other color.

You will like your Viper and the best part is, so will everyone else.
Your pals with Corvettes will feel like they are driving Chevettes when you pull up with your Viper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am 20 right now and I have owned a viper since I was 19 and it was my first car so no need for a trade in but I sure as hell would have traded in anything or anyone if I had to.

My viper is my pride and joy so to answer your question YES I would however ERDOC brings up a very good point that I will be the first to admit at my age I drive a little too crazy to have ANYTHING with ANY power,so if you drive aggressive be very careful because the snake is no joke it is one of the badest cars out there and it will "bit you back" as Tom said.

To answer your other question I have spoken to many many people on here who have traded vettes and not a 1 looks back,just to give you an example of that my dad is a die hard vette fan (or should I say was) as of a year ago in his mind a vette was the best thing since sliced bread and he owned em all, so last year (end of 03) I get my viper my dads all like "nice car but its not in the same league as my vette" so I throw em the keys and say take it for a spin so he does and the entire 1 hour drive (he killed all my gas) he said 3 things over and over 1.holy **** 2.jesus Christ 3.wow , so we get home and I ask em hows it compare to the vette no lie the next day the vette was for sale and it sold within a week and I cant get him away from my car.

Sorry for the long a$$ story just tryin to prove a point, many people told me 1. not to get that car 2.you will never get that car but i was determined to get a viper as my first car and it was I say go for it as long as you can 1.use that work truck in the winter 2.afford insurence (get state farm there pretty good on high end cars) 3.handle the amazing power and most of all 4. deal with the gas (because the snake ***** on gas).

Good luck

And we have never seen you at a local event why????????

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for your inquiry Snake Dreams, it is totally up to you but it sounds like you would never even used the Navi. Get rid of it if you get the Viper as it will just cost you more in insurance. You have a work truck that you could use for a daily. Regardless have fun with your car search and keep us updated.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the 'Gator. If you don't drive it, why own it?

I wouldn't trade it in though, you won't get anything for it. And if it's CLEAN, low miles, you'll get more for it selling it outright. Especially now, it's a GREAT time to sell a 4x4 or AWD SUV.

Good luck!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good luck

And we have never seen you at a local event why????????

I just havent had a chance too I really want to tho looks like Next year for me.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We better see you next year or this even. We are doing an event in LI on Sunday if it does not rain. Check the thread in RT/10 GTS Forums. The title is: "Hey Dimitrios, Charlie, Jim and ??? Captree next Sunday?"