trailer for my viper

viperbabe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
open or enclosed?

Anybody know who to talk to in the Houston area?

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an open in that I use. It has a removable fender and a 4' dove tail. I would say that an enclosed or open depends on what you tow it with, and how often you tow it. I use mine to go back in forth to TWS and MSR, I am in the Spring/Houston area as well.

As far as who to talk to, not sure, found mine on Craigslist

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a place to store an enclosed trailer, and like to take lots of stuff like spare wheels and tires, tools, canopy, etc, you will like having one. It also makes a nice storage garage and place to hang out during track waiting. You can even decorate the inside or put in a stereo if that is your thing. Its also a lot more secure if you venture out on overnight journeys. As for where to buy, try RaceJunk Links Directory, and looking under trailers in the yellow pages.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 20' Sloan Kwikload open trailer and I love it. I can open the doors of my Gen 2 without removing the fenders of the trailer. I got the optional aluminum decking to save some weight and it pulls easily behind my Grand Cherokee.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A rollback is light, and easy to load/unload cars. Is very quick too. The front faring is a must IMO...

RaceDayjuly22_2007005.jpg

Blackhawk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, depends on the tow vehicle and your requirements. I have an 18'' Texas Rollback (similar to the Sloan) which I tow with my Yukon and it is great for loading lowered cars, especially ones with long/low front overhangs. Also, with that setup you do not have to mess with ramps, extensions, etc. As others have said, enclosed trailers are very nice if you take a lot of things and want more security, but you need a better tow vehicle to pull it. Since you are in Texas, you will likely have a variety of brands to pick from and better prices than most everyone else will see since a number of brands build their trailers in Texas.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use a 8.5' by 20' enclosed HaulMark with a ****** tail. It is set up for motorcycles and camping now. In less than an hour, I can convert it back to car hauling. A multitasking trailer.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

viperbabe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1 Question. What is the tow vehicle?

2007 Chev Suburban 1500 series with towing package

Since we live in the hurricane zone I was thinking of something to haul the car with when we have to evacuate (like we had to last year)

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a 38 foot toyhauler. It's a Holiday Rambler NEXT LEVEL fifth wheel. I tow the trailer with the Viper in it. Holiday Ramblers are the only units strong enough to carry a vehicle (though they will never reccommend it).

I can stay in the front portion of it when on long hauls. Keep all my tools in there and have my own bathroom, air conditioning, TV, satellite dish, CD Player, refridgerator, hot & cold running water, shower, stove, sink, internal & external storage, etc, etc.

I bring my lawn chairs, BBQ, beer, food, or whatever. Never have to get a hotel room and usually park at the race tracks or wherever and don't pay a dime to do it.

Just like home with my Viper in it!

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can stay in the front portion of it when on long hauls. Keep all my tools in there and have my own bathroom, air conditioning, TV, satellite dish, CD Player, refridgerator, hot & cold running water, shower, stove, sink, internal & external storage, etc, etc.

I bring my lawn chairs, BBQ, beer, food, or whatever. Never have to get a hotel room and usually park at the race tracks or wherever and don't pay a dime to do it.

I wanna party with you, man!:2tu:

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cannot say enough of good things about our enclosed trailer :) I am really glad, too, that we decided to add the canopy to it.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2007 Chev Suburban 1500 series with towing package

Since we live in the hurricane zone I was thinking of something to haul the car with when we have to evacuate (like we had to last year)

Well, lets put it this way. Yes, it can be done. The shorter and lighter the trailer the better for your truck. My parents had a 1500 Burb as well and it did struggle with towing our 26' Haulmark. Actually, struggled alot. Was quite a handful to drive over 60 and ended up blowing the rear diff out of it after a few times towing it and we were being very gentle! Not really designed for towing that much weight. Figgure your average enclosed trailer is 4000 lbs and add the weight of the car and gear... The other issue is the amount of wind resistance from the front. Will make it a struggle to pull and the last thing you want is issue when running from a storm.

If you go open, it will solve the weight and areo issues, the truck will tow it well (we also towed a car float with the truck and that seemed to be OK) but now the car is left open plus you cannot put any gear in it.

At the end of the day open will be a better choice, but I am a huge fan of enclosed. I did the open float for 15 years and now that I have an enclosed, I will never go back. If you really want the enclosed, be sure to look into a Featherlite. They are the lightest on the market ( also the most expensive though) as they are aluminum, so that should help a bit. Might even want to look into a sloped front to elliminate drag. You can go standard, but might be a little tough.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps!

P.S. Be sure to get a side exit door if you go enclosed. You will thank me later for this advice! ;)

DSC_01261.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi