Trailer Tie Down Question

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,

Having a custom trailer built and there is something I need help with.

Can someone tell me the best pattern for the floor tie downs ?

In other words, the ultimate width and also distance from front to back where the floor mounted tie downs should be.

This of course in such a way that it clears the body panels sufficiently.

I may go for the E-track option but it would be a lot cleaner with just 4 mounts

I have an 06 coupe with no additional ground effects but it has been lowered about 1"

Thanks

Matt

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since its custom built, drive the car on so as to balance the trailer correctly for the tongue weight. Very important for proper trailer handling. Then they can mark the tie down spots better. Many owners tie the front down by going around or over the front tires. Going thru the wheels may cause damage to them. The rear of car can be marked to criss cross the tie downs and attach D rings correctly at the rear of the trailer. A winch in front of trailer is handy too.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the D rings in the floor at least 2 feet more than the length of the car, 3 feet is even better, gives you some distance to use the ratchet mechanism easier...get the j hooks that go into the frame and use good straps...cross all straps, gives cross protection if car bounces in the trailer

OP
OP
C

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Not possible to get the car to the manufacturer at this time, even though I can see the the benefit of doing this.

Have decide to install 3 full length e-tracks rather than specific locations for the tie downs. This will give me some options.

Good info on the cross strapping since there isn't much room (82") between the wheel wells

Thanks

Matt

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use that set up from another supplier andit’s the best way to tow period. No stress on the alignment car never slides orroles. The high dollar coast to coast haulers are now using it as well so youcan rest assured it’s the best way to prevent damage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang