Transmission - Dexron III or Gear Lube

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for the Gear Heads.

Prior to 2000 we had NGR noise. To solve this problem Viper went to 75w-85 Synthetic Gear Lube.

Pre 2000 Vipers, are you running Gear Lube or Dexron III?

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FROM CHRYSLER FACTORY, PAUL OSTER, FILE NUMBER ABOUT FLUIDS, 7081-836, call 800-992-1997, USE MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC ATF, IN TRANNY, 80W 90 SYNTHETIC LUB DIFFER. FLUID

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce...Hmm I was actually thinking about Mobile 1 ATF.

Some of the members felt ATF was safer on the gears but Gear Lube does quiet the tranny to help the NGR.

What Fluid shifts easier? I have used both and I am not 100% sure. What do the track racers use?
==============================================
FYI for new guys reading this post:Castrol Syntorque Mopar #4874459 is Synthetic 75W-85 Gear Lube. Cost is about $21 per quart!

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the Mobil 1 ATF in my 95 with AMSOIL gear lube after my local Chrysler tech provided me with a service bulliten recommending synthetic gear lube for early model vipers. I noticed an immediate difference and improvement in shifting quality. However, when the temperature drops below 50 degrees, the first few miles do require a bit more effort and care in shifting from 1st to 2nd until the trans warms up. Hopes this help :usa:

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based upon substantial research on this site, this is what I did for my 94 Viper :

Engine
======

Royal Purple 10W30 (9.5 qts)
WIX # 51085 oil filter

Transmission
============

Amsoil Series 2000 75W90 (close to 4 qts)

Differential
============

41 oz Amsoil series 2000 75W140
4 oz additive

Hope this helps.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my local Chrysler tech provided me with a service bulliten recommending synthetic gear lube for early model vipers

Isn't Castrol Syntorque Gear Lube synthetic?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is there a discussion, the synthetics are all positives. The synthetics pour like 10W30 and have a shear or breakdown point far better than a automatic transmission fluid. A minor negative is for the first few miles the trans will shift a little harder.

Just think of the immense compressive and shear forces trying to tear apart the lubricant, do you want an automatic transmission fluid in that path. Rip off the label that indicates that you should use Dexron fluid so that the next person won't have a hard decision to make.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Differential
============

41 oz Amsoil series 2000 75W140
4 oz additive

It is not necessary to add the friction modifier additive to Amsoil Series 2000 gear lube. It's part of the product. I have used it for 16,000 miles with no problems. I believe changing the transmiision and differential last year to Amsoil has cooled my transmission down. I have a short throw MGW shifter which used to get almost to hot to touch with the OEM Castrol Syntorque in hot weather. Not any more. I believe my temp. gauge is running 1/2 a bar cooler as well since converting.

Steve

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this thread has lots of suggestions, and little basis to parse between them, but for Jack B's post below?!

Why is there a discussion, the synthetics are all positives. The synthetics pour like 10W30 and have a shear or breakdown point far better than a automatic transmission fluid. A minor negative is for the first few miles the trans will shift a little harder.

Just think of the immense compressive and shear forces trying to tear apart the lubricant, do you want an automatic transmission fluid in that path. Rip off the label that indicates that you should use Dexron fluid so that the next person won't have a hard decision to make.

Per the SM, Dextron III is recommended (see http://www.yandros.com/Viper/ViperFluids.htm), but you are saying not to use it?

You're also saying not to use the ATF fluids?

What's the best couple of options?

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so the bottom line is Castrol Syntorque LT Mopar #4874459 will be GOOD for 96-up vipers, but the first few miles will be harder to shift, and the stuff iss def good for the tranny??

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the bottom line is Castrol Syntorque LT Mopar #4874459 will be GOOD for 96-up vipers, but the first few miles will be harder to shift, and the stuff iss def good for the tranny??

Sounds right to me based on this (and other) threads, and is the "safe" option as it is the Mopar product, but perhaps others are okay too. (Note, Tony Estes mentioned displeasure in another thread with Redline transmission fluid and fluids in general due to tranny, rear end, other race issues they had).

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think I might make mention on my fluids chart that while Dextron III (or is it Dexron (sp?)?) is in the SM, to use Castrol syntorque LT instead.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AMSOIL 75W-90W made a big difference in shifting smoothness. However, when it is below 40 degrees, the shift to 2nd gear requires a little more finness and paitence until the car warms up. I shift from 1st to 3rd with no problem until the car is warm. Dodge dealer viper technician recomended the change from Dexron II to gear lube. Trans seems to run cooler as well with less heat at the base of the shifter. :usa:

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe I was not clear on the original question. ATF and Gear lube can both be synthetic. Sure this is the way to go.

I have tried ATF and Gear Lube. Gear Lube helps on NGR noise but once the car gets hot, it is still there, but much better.

Some have stated that ATF is safer on gears. ATF is VERY thin and coats the gears better. I don't know about this, but for some reason the factory went to it. They went back to Gear Lube after all the complaints of NGR. Did the factory go to ATF to make cold shifts easier or because the lubricant is actually better in a gear box?