Transmission fluid- prev owner appears to have put in wrong fluid... what to do?

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car ('94) is in for its spring checkup, and I asked the tech to replace my transmission fluid. He said that it appears the previous owner put some sort of gear oil in there ( a clear liquid) instead of the recommended Dextron II, and the two are not compatible. He said he could probably get most of the old stuff out, but not all without dropping the box.

He said the fluid that was in there still looked clean, and he'd recommend just letting it be, even though it's the same fluid I've had in there since I bought the car four years ago.

Thoughts from the pros on here?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some boneheads were putting the heavy oil in to quiet the tranny (they should have bought a Vette).

Drain in, refill with the correct fuild, run for a week or two then do it again. That should clean it out pretty good.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car ('94) is in for its spring checkup, and I asked the tech to replace my transmission fluid. He said that it appears the previous owner put some sort of gear oil in there ( a clear liquid) instead of the recommended Dextron II, and the two are not compatible. He said he could probably get most of the old stuff out, but not all without dropping the box.

He said the fluid that was in there still looked clean, and he'd recommend just letting it be, even though it's the same fluid I've had in there since I bought the car four years ago.

Thoughts from the pros on here?

Didn't you buy it from one of the forum sponsored Dealers? I would assume that they serviced it before you took delivery. :confused:

Chuck is right on. You should be fine if you do that. Isn't there a drain plug? What are you pumping it out?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Are you SURE that it is the wrong fluid...as some 94 Viper (and above) owners changed over to the Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75w-85 (which is clear and does NOT stink like Dexron IIe or III) to correct NGR (neutral gear rattle... as per the 1998 TSB).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456