Traveling from East to West

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dear Members and vendors,

My wish is to travel from East to west (Burlington VT to Los Angeles CA) and i have the following agenda (In my Viper of course) :

south burlington VT to Boston MA

Boston MA to NYC

NYC to Chicago IL

Chicago to Kansas City Kansas

Kansas City to Denver CO

Denver CO to Cedar City UT

Cedar City UT to Las Vegas NV

Las Vegas NV to Los Angeles CA
:drive::drive::drive::headbang:

Any ideas or better routs to reach California?

I will be pin pointing several Dodge Dealers for them to check on my Venom on the way

I am concerned about dust and my paint as well.

Anything i should be aware of?
its my first time to take such a trip. I have traveled from Atlanta Georgia to Burlington VT in the past...

I am thinking New tires, new break pads, fluid check, AC check, and a carry-on plus some hotel reservations and i will be golden.:usa:

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year?

I drove my GTS from DC to SLC last September and had no problems. Just check the usual stuff and enjoy the trip.

Personally, I'd rather take the Viper on a long road trip than any of my other cars...

Reaction score
Depending on the time of year you could encounter some rough weather through the Rockies on the route you suggested. You can also turn south when you get to Kansas City and head down towards I-40 and across that way. A little warmer weather and you can do a nice side trip to the Grand Canyon for a photo op or two.

Of course if you are going a little later in the year then your proposed route is pretty darn good. You will also find one of the rarest things in the US on that route: 80 MPH speed limits on parts of I-15 in Utah. Check with some of the local clubs on your overnights as you will find many will try to get together with you on the way through - Kansas City is a good example. Have fun!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is actually a "3-M SPRAY MASK" that goes on clear, and removes with soap and water (not rain.) The product works so well that it is used by the factory for masking off the paint stripe. Protects vs bug guts, sand, and small stuff like leaves and sticks [and even tire-**** marbles on track.]

What year Viper? One Way? Solo? A proper performance alignment can prevent rut-tracking that can make a trans-continental drive a fatigue. Driving gloves are not pretentious here, they are functional. I like Left and Right golf gloves, or L+R batters gloves even better. If you have room, you may want a flimsy, nylon K-mart car-cover, stuffed behind seat, tocover car at night. They can be a 1-car show, and attracts lots of attention. Carry Fix-A-Flat, and maybe an Octane Booster in case you cannot find premium at a empty-tank stop. With gas prices soaring, there should be lots of Premium!

BE SAFE and have fun

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome idea. I want to make a similar trip when I get back. I have plans to drive from Ohio to Monterey, CA via I-40, then south on U.S.1 to LA. From there east on I-10 to Pensacola, FL. North to NY then back home.

OP
OP
V

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Parts of America and Johnb-partsrack Thank you very much for the useful advise! the walmart thing is smart... i will have to look for it online to know what it looks like since i have never used it before.

As for my Venom it is a 2005 Red SRT-10
Oval throttle Body
K&N filter
Belanger headers and corsa exhaust
high performance spark plugs and wires
fidanza flywheel
Center force Clutch

Interior: black and red Viper badged carpets, Viper door sills, Glossy Black center console

I will be taking this trip hopefully around the 18th or 19th of March and i dont know when i will be in CA. So I am not sure about the rout i chose... I will have to check the weather in a week to be safe.

Clear Bra Vs. 3m?

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weather could be a big issue around the Boston Area as well, never mind VT. I don't think there is anyone including crazy me that would drive around here in March. Possibility of snow, lost of salt still on the roads, and very much a likelihood of cold weather. Today it was -12 and I am just southeast of Burlington VT.

You can do it, but be very flexible, and extra careful would be my recommendations.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll be passng right by the Grand Canyon. I recomend a detour to the south out of Co. I went by way of Durango (a cool little city with an operating narrow gauge RR) then hit Four Corners, passed through Tuba city and the south rim of the canyon via the eastern road. From there it's on to Vegas!

If you haven't seen the canyon, it's worth the extra day or two. IMO

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I second purplesnake's suggestion...Indy & I-70...ducking well below all of the lake effect snow and severe congestion on either side of Chicago.

If you do head our way, let some of us know...ESPECIALLY if you have trouble or need something.

Enjoy your trip !!!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you prefer cities over scenery? If it's scenery, get a Rand McNally map (not GPS) and follow the scenic roads (dotted green lines) from the east coast to the west of the Appalachians and then from New Mexico/Colorado to the west coast. Trips like these are very memorable. Almost every city has the same stuff with a slightly different flavor. But nature's got all that beat by a huge margin.

I did this trip from Boston to LA back in Apr 1999 to VOI5. About 6600 miles I think. That's one-way! I still remember it and long for another shot at it but don't have space in the Viper for the 3 kids. :dunno: They built the trunk too small. :lmao:

Happy driving. :drive:

P.S. The Viper draws a lot of attention. If you feel something doesn't seem right around you: be it in a city parking lot or a rural motel, listen to your gut and get out of there.

OP
OP
V

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thank you all for your concern. I really would like to have a combination of a scenery route and a safe rout as well. I would like to travel through a road with services.. hotels.. a road easy to reach for police ambulance fire fighters. the thing is yes i will be stepping on it for a bit but not all the way. the reason why i look for these services is because i am traveling with my wife and we have been married for a year and 3 months. I don't want any thing bad to happen to her. if it was up to me i will be doing less stops but because she is with me... i will be stopping at major cities with 4-5 star hotels to be safe.

So if any one can re wright my route for me I would appreciate it. I honestly cannot thank you enough for showing this much of support and help keeping in mind that i am a new member. :')

ok enough emotions now lets go back to the trip.. hehe can someone edit my route to the best of their knowledge of better, safer easier route to get to California from NYC since it will be my final stop on the east side before i start heading west?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok enough emotions now lets go back to the trip.. hehe can someone edit my route to the best of their knowledge of better, safer easier route to get to California from NYC since it will be my final stop on the east side before i start heading west?

Continental Direct :D
Have a great Trip, I could get into a road trip like this myself.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just get the routine maintenance done and go. :2tu: I drove my '93 RT/10 from Dayton to Salt Lake City and back for VOI11. She did just fine.

I'm taking a similar drive to California in July. Finally taking my Route 66 trip.

I'm loading up the Prowler and heading to Beverly... Hills that is, swimming pools and movie stars. :drive:

Reaction score
While not as familiar with the routes east of Ohio, here are a few variations as routed through Google. The first is the recommended route for timing and staying on major (4-lane) roads for the majority of your trip. It shows 2,902 miles from Burlington to L.A.

Iowa.jpg

The challenges with that route in mid-March are weather, especially through Colorado and along the Great Lakes. Iowa and Nebraska are fairly boring for the most part, as is much of the "bread basket" (Kansas, parts of Oklahoma, etc.). Like others have said, Chicago is a great city but you will have traffic and possibly weather to contend with. If you are more concerned with getting there as quickly and safely as possible then go further south, like this:

4440.jpg

While it only adds 35 miles (showing 2,937), it avoids some of the more heavy traffic around Chicago, and should give you better weather as you start heading south. Albuquerque to L.A. has some neat scenery and you can zip over to the Grand Canyon and/or Las Vegas without a huge hassle. It has regular stops with "branded" hotels (Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc.) along the way. Then there is the route you suggested, only bypassing Chicago and going more directly:

kc.jpg

This one shows 2,968 miles, including a whopping 1,713 miles on I-70 alone. Again, Kansas is boring with 70 MPH speed limits heavily enforced, while Colorado can be tricky depending on weather. Mountain roads, even the well-maintained interstates, can be a serious challenge in bad weather. While daytime temperatures in March can get warm enough to keep the roads clear, the freezing temperatures at night can turn snow melt into ice - even with heavily salted roads. If they are getting heavy snows, they can enact the "chain law" whereby you must have chains on your vehicle to drive through certain passes - even on major interstates like I-70.

If the weather looks clear and has for a week beforehand (allowing snow to melt on the roads, etc.) it is a breathtaking drive. You are still likely to encounter salt/sand on the roads, so don't plan on any triple-digit speeds on mountain corners anytime soon. Also note that once out of Grand Junction, you have a long stretch of "no-mans" land past Green River Utah - over 100 miles with no services and spotty cell service. Pretty country to be sure, but not where you want to get caught with a flat or even needing a bathroom with running water. Once on I-15 in Utah, you will find some of the few 80 MPH speed limits in the country. It can still have fairly heavy traffic with folks heading to Vegas, especially towards the weekends. If you are getting to the Vegas area during the day, do a side trip through Valley of Fire State Park off I-15 starting at Moapa Valley on Highway 169. It might add a couple hours, but is a beautiful winding drive that loops back to I-15.

For scenery you will be hard-pressed to beat going through the Rockies in Colorado and some of the other ranges in Utah. If weather is a concern and you haven't seen the Grand Canyon, the more southern route is also very good with some interesting side attractions - Petrified Forest National Park is also interesting and that road can be fun in a sports car.

Make sure your car is up to ***** - fresh fluids, good tires, and an emergency tire kit like Fix-A-Flat or something assuming you aren't on original runflats. Bring maps and/or GPS, binoculars, and a good digital camera with a quick power-up to that first shot: Long trips can provide some exciting photo opportunities, especially with some of the bird migrations during this time of year. Look for bald eagles along many of the river valleys, as well as major flocks of many other species. Watch for animals on the roads, including elk on all the western routes (north or south) and mountain goats in Colorado - especially at night, as they tend to get closer to the roads (and salt) when they are harder to be seen.

Have a GREAT time and be sure to let some of the regional clubs know if/when you are passing through - you just might catch a Viper gathering or two along the way! :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
now thats what i call a community! i am speechless! VPA you have made my DAY!!! thank you so much i will be preparing the safety equipment and as always... supporting VPA and VCA.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4440.jpg

The 2nd map that Mary posted is pretty much the route that I am taking. It zig zags back and forth across old Route 66. Lots of restored hotels, restaurants, and attractions. I can't wait to see the world's largest ball of twine! :lmao:

Here's a couple of Route 66 websites.

http://www.route66motels.com/

http://www.historic66.com/

Bobby Troup said it best:

"If you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, the highway that's the best.
Get your kicks on Route 66!"

OP
OP
V

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So i arrived to Washington DC and tomorrow i will be taking off to be reunited with my Babe.
I will check weather conditions and roads .. stability... if i got the feel i can do it then i will make sure to meet some of you folks on the road. if not you will find me asking for a reliable shipping company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery