Tread softening

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many drivers both oval and road "soak" their tire tread to promote a softer,stickier,tire. There are various store bought and home brew blends. Yes it is against the rules when the class is supposed to be using a spec tire. The question is can this be done to a street tire? GTS Bruce

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just doing some research this afternoon regarding tread softening (Canyon707 has M/T drag tires getting a little hard, has a thread in the Time Slip forum).

The softening works, usually it's some sort of solvent based product (xylene, toluene, diesel fuel, mineral spirits, acetone, etc) that actually changes the composition of the rubber. From what I can tell, it is actually melting it a bit. If it softens and melts the ashpalt in the street, it will probably soften tires :rolleyes:

The fear is catastophic tire failure...it probably won't happen, but then again you could have a total delamination at speed under acceleration. Not a big problem on a dirt track or circle track $4500.00 stock car (and maybe going 60 mph), but a bigger concern is regarding the cost and speeds that a Viper might be hitting.

Be safe,
George

Last edited:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel better with some new tires. Todd had mentioned that Nitto tires hook up great (Dan Cragin) I need 18's. I don't want to go into rim size changes.