True cost of ownership

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get an honest opinion about the Viper it isn't really a daily driver, so I don't think too many people would keep this kind of information and it will vary greatly from one person to the next. As you have probably already seen most Vipers out there have around 10K miles so they don't have a whole lot of history and financial data. All just my opinion of course. If you are keeping track of the numbers, you aren't having fun with it. :laugh:

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you try to put everything you do or buy into a balance sheet and income statement format you are going to miss some of lifes' greatest pleasures. There is often value that supercedes the search for more $$$.

This being said a Viper is expensive and if I had to track every dollar spent I would not have ever considered ownership.

As another signature says 'no flame intended just observation)

B

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it like this.

$43,500 bought the car
$5,500 in mods
$800 in financing fees
$300 in towing fees
$900 in insurance
$500 in maintanance
$1000 in gas
Total $52,500

Sold the car - only when you pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel.
True cost of ownership - PRICELESS

If you think differently, you probably need a Honda.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car - 49500 (used)
Insurance - 600 per year
Property Taxes - 750
Gas - who cares, like food it's a must have
Feeling I get when I drive it or just stare at it in the garage - can't put a figure on that!

Good Luck!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you get an honest opinion about the Viper it isn't really a daily driver, so I don't think too many people would keep this kind of information

I keep a ledger about every expense I put out to the car. Mine's great for judgeing gas usage and such, but Mistress is also a rebuilder so I have many many dollars added in for parts and paint.

The relality is that you will never make money off a car in the long run unless you happened to pick up an orignal GT40 at the flea market. Expensive cars are the worse for this.

For me - Cost of ownership = high. Payout of ownership = all the ******* and beer one man can handle...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do one of those cost/return spreadsheets on your wife, she's going to really hate that.

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't believe I'm responding to this.....

Car $45K
don't insure it
don't maintain it
don't drive it (gas)
Zaino...$2,500. (you need something to do)
don't modify it

Keep it for 25 years, sell it for $45K (unless it's yellow, then who knows how much it'll be worth)....and it only cost $100 per year!

Now, could someone answer me. If a chicken and a half, laid an egg and a half...............

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't think of Viper ownership in terms of an investment. Remember, this is purely a pleasure car and much pleasure you'll get from owning one of these. As the saying goes, "You have to pay to play".

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're a freak!
You must be registered for see images
Go buy a Corvette.

Hah-hah. Just kidding. Couldn't help it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vipers. I'll be a new Viper owner, too - next year. No breakdown needed here though. I already know exactly what I want!!!

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically, budget at least $1000/month overall ownership expense. You might get pleaseantly surprised, but at least you would avoid a distressed sale if you go in expecting less.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
badbyte,

Think I could hook up a ride one weekend when you're not busy? I'm near by.

Sure, hey I noticed you are close by after my reply. I gave a guy a ride a few months ago and was wondering if you were he? I think he worked at Guidant.

I'm off to the Silver State this Friday so I'll be out of town but soon as I return lets give it a shot. Warning though I have racing seats for a mid size guy. so hopefully your <200 lbs or you'll need a shoe horn to get in.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you run the "true cost" of having kids, marriage, tithing, travel or cars that are so fast they are delightfully unjustifiable you will miss the true value of everything.
I hope you give in to your passions and buy one.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could do like I did. I bought a Chevy Citation '80 in 1987 for about 1200. I sold it 2 years later for 800. The insurance was only about $45 a month.

By the time I figured in gas and mechanical work (I didn't do any) it only cost about 45 + 16 + 20 = 81 a month.

I do think you'd look a little cooler arriving in a Viper rather than a Citation though.

I do see where you're coming from. If a car becomes such a drain it takes away from other aspects of your life, it's hard for it to be a pleasure.

For most of the guys on this board, me included, the Viper is such a strong aspect of our life its worth the added expense.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you buy one with a warranty, or get one from a Dodge dealer you can add a warranty. The warranties are not cheap, but they will allow you to accurately estimate repairs.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just given an estimate of a 48 mo warranty from Chuck Tator on a 96 GTS. He gives 20% discounts to VCA members and the cost was appx $2500 after discount. He said I still have till 11/05 to obtain a warranty (I already have one in place) but the price would increase over the next 2 years.

VIPER BIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy one.
Drive it/enjoy it.
Enjoy the attention it receives.
Check on it every night before you go to sleep.

Then you will find that there is no true "cost" of owning one of these beauties.....PRICELESS!

;)

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saintdog-I have a RT/10 with an extended warranty until 2007, and I'm located in So Cal. Call me 661-333-2090.
Good luck with your search.
-Jonathan

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK,
How did you guys manage to get such long warrantees on your Vipers? Mine runs out at the end of this month for the '94 and it was a 7 year Chrysler full warrantee. It started in '96 cause the car sat in the showroom until '96 and was not sold until then. How can I get one for a longer time period now? Be foolish not to do so, if a longer one is still avaialble.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My two cents and my advice is about worth that much(unless you want a surgical consult :D ), is to buy the car and enjoy it. If you have to look at cost it will drive you crazy. After a long day at work, there is nothing like lighting up your viper and taking a drive. I would call it speed relaxation therapy!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roland, I talked to Chuck Tator and he said I had until 11/05 to buy an extended warranty on my 96 GTS (currently under warranty). So based on that, it appears you should have till 11/03 to buy an extended warranty for your 1994. Of course, you need to confirm this with The Wizard.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get an honest opinion about the Viper it isn't really a daily driver,

Wrong, wrong, wrong, Its true that most aren't but there is no good reason not to use one as a daily driver unless you want to keep it low miles.

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I BELIEVE that the cost of viper ownership will be at the same cost as my beloved delorean: Priceless with a positive and forever lasting impression on one's life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21