Truth

I Ben Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect that part of the reason for this message comes from it being in the wee hours of Saturday night. Still, I admit to an adversion to seeing those with whom we disagree labeled whiners or threats of withdrawing from the dialog because others don't see things our way.

Some observations:

Everyone in the forum is telling the truth. They are reporting reality as they have experienced it. To argue that their experience didn't occure or is wrong is a waste of time. To understand that experience is useful. To make that experience part of your experience may possibly be useful. Whatever each of us experiences when view the Gen III is our truth and we will act on that truth.

Second, there are few tasks more difficult than clearly understanding the conversation between a customer and a supplier. I have no doubt that those of you who are reporting the conversations between Viper owners and Dodge are reporting the truth. However, at the same time, I can tell you some of the key prolems that are part of a conversation like that. The customer will always emphaasize a couple of things they really like and a couple of things that are really annoying and TAKE IT FOR GRANTED that all the rest of the items in the new product will still be pleasing. The supplier will hear what has been said and TAKE IT FOR GRANTED that what isn't mentioneed isn't of any concern to the customer. That's just the beginning of the difficulties, next we have to deal with what the words mean. What does it mean to say don't change or leave it alone? Without driving the subject into the ground, most successful attempts at this type of understanding are the result of multiple confirmations by each side of what was said and what was understood over time.

There is such a thing as style and such a thing as a styling theme or family resemblence that occures without duplication. Look at the air cooled Beelte and the new super Bettle side by side or the BMC Mini and the BMW Mini side by side for how a theme can be preserved without duplication. Look at the Audies. Even the new GT-40 along the side the original. For family resemblence, look at the DC family of automobiles marketed as MBs. Or look at the BMW line of cars. Or even the Miata as it has gone through several updates is an interesting theme. If Dodge still does not get it, then their two styling changes to make the car look more agressive aren't going to satisfy anyone. Not more agressive, more Viper. If the current stylists don't undestand that, get a stylist who can look at the Gen I and Gen II and understand what it means to be Viper. Hint, a Viper is about passion, the kind of passionate expression of individual freedom and in your face performance that is part of our culture.

I do not contend that the Gen III should be a duplicate of the GEN I or II, but I do contend that the Gen III isn't of the same family. Read these words from the Spring Issue 2002 of the Viper magazine. "The Viper is in a class by itself. It's everything your mother warned you about." Joe Perry, Aerosmith. "A Dodge Viper is one of those cars that demands attention even when sitting still." Terry Jackson, Miami Herald. Those words can not be applied to the Gen III. The Gen III is not a Viper in the spirit of the original Viper.

Which bring me to another question, who are these folks who are waiting with $80k for the Gen III who did not buy the Gen I and Gen II because of it's styling?