TSB for Gen 1 "bucking"?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TSB for Gen 1 \"bucking\"?

Isnt there a TSB out for a simple to repair to help the Gen 1's habit of "bucking" at slow speeds? I know about synching the throttle bodies, but seems like I read its a TSB to insert a screw someone to also help with the problem. Does anyone know the TSB #? I'd like to get it done, but pretty sure my Dodge dealer will have no clue what im talking about without the TSB # for them to reference

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: TSB for Gen 1

Contact Tators Dodge. The Viper Wizard will help you out. If you occassionally re synch your throttle cables your problems will go away.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If your dealer enters your VIN in their system, it should show the TSB. Basically the TSB will cover installing screws to lock the cables in place once properly adjusted. You want to ensure both TB's fully open and that the drivers (TPS) side throttle body always opens first. The drivers side TB must always lead the passenger side TB.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have heard that it is best to just stick to resycing the throttle bodies periodically rather than going with the above fix. I believe that the explination was that as the heat in the engine bay causes parts to expand and contract slightly, the fix may actually just end up causing the throttles to be off slightly.

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: TSB for Gen 1 \"bucking\"?

Re-synching took the problem away entirely for me!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Chad,
If you put that screw in the adjusters like the TSB says you wont be able to adjust the cables anymore! On my 94 I adjust the cables 3 or 4 times in a driving season and that cures the bucking.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hi Chad,
If you put that screw in the adjusters like the TSB says you wont be able to adjust the cables anymore! On my 94 I adjust the cables 3 or 4 times in a driving season and that cures the bucking.

That's about every other month. Can't anyone come up with a better solution?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

like chuck said, if you have those screws, you can't sync the throttle bodies. I had them and just took them out. now I sync the throttle bodies anytime I think I need to. I have had the best results syncing the throttle bodies when the engine has been running for a while and is completely heat soaked.

next time I see you I can show you how to do it, very simple to do and makes a world of difference.

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I bought a set of GEN2 throttle bodies and throttle cable. Is it possible to convert the GEN1 setup to a GEN2 setup? I'm working everyday and haven't had the opportunity to try them out.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know why this is such a big deal. I think the genI design is superior because you can balance the throttle bodies. I have seen genII engines out of balance because of slop in the throttle system. it's so easy to balance these things.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can balance the Gen2 with a screw on the shaft. A single fixed shaft always better, the main reason is to assure that both throttles sync throughtout the range.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The left throttle body leading the right one, is this applicable to Gen II's as well? I have been experiencing some bucking lately as well.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

You can balance the Gen2 with a screw on the shaft. A single fixed shaft always better, the main reason is to assure that both throttles sync throughtout the range.

Can you provide a little more detail on this for us idiots. :confused: My GenII has also been bucking at low speeds. First Ive heard about the GenIIs needing to have the throttles synced. Thanks.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have to be careful when you say left or right, it is as you sit in the car. The passenger side always should lead the drivers side. There is an adjuster screw on the passenger side. It will have a paint drop on the threads to show if it rotated.

Stand on the passenger side and reach over with your right hand to drivers side of the shaft and merely rotate the shaft. You can easily see which starts to open first, just make sure the passenger's side opens a little before the drivers.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"The passenger side always should lead the drivers side"

I'm 99% sure that the drivers side leads first, are you sure about this?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On the Gen 2, the passenger side leads the drivers side. The throttle position switch is on the passengers side, that is the reason.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On the Gen 2, the passenger side leads the drivers side. The throttle position switch is on the passengers side, that is the reason.

I pulled out my 02 Service Manual because I was pretty sure I saw the TPS sensor on the drivers side. The description in the manual is as follows:

The TPS is mounted on the drivers side throttle body. The sensor connects to the throttle blade shaft. The TPS is a variable resistor that provides the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with an input signal.

Devildog: I skimmed through the manual under the engine section, it recommends to replace the ignition cables when experience hesitation/misfiring under acceleration at low rpm's. I have 11K miles on my original wires, I will be changing out the MSD's soon. I also already had checked my throttle bodies not that long ago and they did not require adjustment. If the problem persists after new wires, some great tips were posted which I will use when re-checking the throttle bodies.

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score

???
I bought a set of GEN2 throttle bodies and throttle cable. Is it possible to convert the GEN1 setup to a GEN2 setup? I'm working everyday and haven't had the opportunity to try them out.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ronnie:

now you have me thinking - early to rise and confirm. I can tell you this the factory setting on my 97 has the passenger opening before the drivers and there is no stumble

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ronnie:

you are right, the TPS is on the left and the IAC is on the right - I stand corrected - thanks for the catch.