turbo on a stock SRT?

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody tried to build a turbo system that only pushes 8lbs of boost on the stock SRT 10 motor????

Joe

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
RSI did that a long time ago. Not saying I advise it for the long haul, but it has/can be done.

Ironically, have one here right now.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Stock SRT pistons and rods are very intolerant of boost. They call them cream puffs for a reason. :crazy2:

If you are going to turbo it, upgrade the motor and do it right, IMHO. :smirk:

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can do it. There is a stock cast piston car that made 800rwhp if memory serves me correct. It is a CPE car...I think.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can do it. There is a stock cast piston car that made 800rwhp if memory serves me correct. It is a CPE car...I think.

Thats a gen-2, they at least have have decent rods. One less piece of the puzzle to fall apart on you.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Great question. It would seem that since many believe that a Paxton works on a stock SRT that a turbo at low boost would also be a feasible option. Is a turbo not LESS strain on the motor since you dont have to drive the supercharger via the pulley?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Paxton works very well on my stock SRT, just didn't have it installed the "out of the box" version that comes with the basic kit. Used a VEC instead of the SS box, a custom fuel system vice the two pumps supplied by Paxton, and upgraded my injectors. The Mustang dyno said 651rwhp when all was said and done, I suspect a dyno jet would say a bit more.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw a thread here that said a stock (thinking it was a cream puff) Viper made over 1,000rwhp with a CPE kit at a higher boost than 8.

Ted

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"I had an RSI turbo on my stock '06 power plant."

So does that mean you sold it ? Do you still have it, how many miles did you put on it?

Jon

Actually had 2 of them. Only have pics of this one though. Have 26k on the one I still have. It's an '04.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you saying that the 04 is stock internals???

The paxton kit is up and running quite well.... Now that my kit is basically a new kit with all of the money I have put into it...

If anybody is interested.... I have a used Paxton kit with DLM's intercooler and belt tensioner....
Send me a PM with a reasonable offer... Remember most of the parts are new...Its also a Satin kit..
The car was just picked up from Doug's yesterday....

I am going to look at doing a twin setup with low boost for now... After that is running well.. I will be doing a motor build....

A turbo setup will have less strain creating the same horsepower... I would think less heat soak also.. If you use the right intercoolers....