Type of oil

93viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
Just bought a 93 RT/10 It has 9,000 miles on it. Former owner was a car collector and he had people to take care of his cars. He was not sure what type of oil that was used in it. I assume that you would use Mobile 1 Synthetic Am i right. Thanks for your help.
Phil :usa: <font color="red"> </font>

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Phil, just for the record, YOUR Viper did NOT use synthetic oil as the factory fill...Mobil 1 10w-30 was the factory fill starting with the 1996 GTS group. Many continue to use a 10w-30 premium non-synthetic oil (combined with frequent changes as recommended) while others have indeed switched to synthetic. I have personally been happy using Mobil 1 10w-30 in our Gen I's, Gen II's, and Gen III.
You COULD send a 3-4 oz sample of your oil to Blackstone Labs in Ft. Wayne, IN ( [email protected] )for analysis...and they will be able to tell you if the oil is synthetic or not...as well as profile the oil for you. I do this regularly, and feel that the test makes a good baseline for a new owner.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Our Gen I's BOTH were delivered with NO oil labeling on the caps, Frank...though I later SWITCHED them to the Gen II caps bearing the Mobil logo that you describe.

Manuals State that oil used in Gen I's was non-synthetic til the 1996 GTS.

Frank, was your car delivered new with this cap ???

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Amsoil synthetic? A guy told me he was using it in his Viper and thought it was better than Mobil 1.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way, Frank, the 1995 owners manual called for an API rating of " SH, SG, or SG/CD...choosing 5w-30 or 10w-30 depending on temps.

Manual further states that synthetic oils are OK as long as they meet the stated API ratings.

NO mention that the factory fill was synthetic, however( and I'm sure it is only of academic interest at best at this point !!!).

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Amsoil synthetic? A guy told me he was using it in his Viper and thought it was better than Mobil 1."

I've seen some BS tests trying to show Amsoil was the "best" oil.
I'm not saying Amsoil is bad. It just seems odd that they have this strange marketing and sales system.

I'd stick to Mobil 1. That's what I use in all my cars.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"send a 3-4 oz sample of your oil to Blackstone Labs"

That seems a little overkill for a 9k miles car.

Just change the oil with Mobil 1 every six months or so. Even that is overkill but it will probably keep you happy.

Your stock Viper doesn't need any extra special oil or special treatment to keep it running great for a very long time.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Amsoil synthetic? A guy told me he was using it in his Viper and thought it was better than Mobil 1.

My thoughts are that it has worked quite well for me the last 30 years. I've been using Amsoil in my Viper for 53,000 miles (almost 55,000 on car). While I've always used oil analysis, I just recently sent a sample into Blackstone as that seems to be the company of choice here. The oil was one year old this October. The car was run for another 500 miles before storage in November, 2004. It was stored for the winter(never run), saw one track event this summer, couple of passes at the drag strip in St. Louis, 1 autocross, for a total of 9,945 miles on the oil of what I would call 'spirited' driving The results are in from Blackstone. They conclude: "We like the looks of this engine" &amp; "Try 11,000 next oil"

Normally I change at 6,000 miles, but thought I'd go a whole year this time--including the winter storage season.

For those that may not know, Amsoil is Exxon/Mobils largest customer of synthetic PAO base stock........bigger than Mobil 1. It comes down to additives after that.

I've seen some BS tests trying to show Amsoil was the "best" oil.
I'm not saying Amsoil is bad. It just seems odd that they have this strange marketing and sales system.

Joe,

There is absolutely nothing strange about direct marketing. Didn't the Fuller brush man ever knock on your door back in the 50's? ;)

Steve

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a Mobil 1 fan for years as I get a discount from a local supplier. Recently I've learned of some new European oil requirements which are much stricter than API standards. The standars are the ACEA A3 and the HTHS (High Temp High Shear) standards. For example, only the Mobil 1 0W40 and 15W50 meet Audi/VW/Mercedes HTHS requirements. The 5w30 and 10w30 Mobil 1 don't meet the requirements. I was surprised to find that most of the Amsoil oils to meet higher specs than Mobil 1. I have been half bad mouthing Amsoil for years. The best I found, although pricey, is Redline oils. Every Redline product exceeds the latest European oil specifications. I did a few online searches and went ahead and ordered 3 cases (36 quarts) of Redline 5w40 from Solo Performance Specialties. I ordered 3 cases because the charged the same for 3 as they did for 1 case so it brought my unit cost down. I already switched the tranny fluid to Redline ATF and the rear end to Redline Shockproof gear oil. MGH

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you use SYN.it doesn't matter(as long as you change every 2-3000.After that you would see a difference in quality breakdown.
If your smart you buy the Mobil 1 and change it more often.