U.S. prepares bankruptcy filing for Chrysler: report

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens... The Viper business unit will likely go for a lot less in BK court than it would have otherwise. My guess is that a BK filing will either slow down the sale of the business unit since the sale would have to be overseen by a BK judge, or Chrysler will choose to keep the business unit now that the unsecured debt holders will be wiped off the books. Either way, let's hope that the parts suppliers and contracted service companies aren't holding off on deliveries because that would really gum up the works.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suspect any vendor would require prepayment on any order from Dodge before producing parts. So long as that has occurred the parts should still flow.

But, isn't CAAP closed this week due to insufficient parts?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting times indeed. Here's hoping Chrysler decides to keep Viper after all.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting times indeed. Here's hoping Chrysler decides to keep Viper after all.

My guess is that, unless they get the deal done before a BK filing (unlikely with this news) the deal won't happen. In BK court, the business unit will be extremely undervalued and it would make more sense for them to keep it. But, then again, I don't know how the whole thing will be 'structured' as the feds seem to imply it will be. They might just wipe out the unsecured credit holders and renegotiate terms with the UAW while guaranteeing ongoing operations. In any case, I smell Viper inflation soon...

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the time you read this Viper should have a new owner

I'm hoping something positive is announced. I'm sure all parties to the transaction have been planning on the likely BK announcement at the end of this month, so hopefully that's worked into the deal. In my limited experience when dealing with BK reorganizations, it can really screw up an aquisition. The minute Ch. 11 is filed, everything comes to a halt and an extra layer of red-tape and judicial oversight gets added. If this is something that was planned for, and they really want the deal to get done, it will happen before the April 30 deadline so that it doesn't get halted by the BK process. Interesting times indeed.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what will happen to chrysler finacial are they still loaning money for new car sales?
Cerberus holds Chrysler Financial and Auburn Hills Properties (Chrysler tech Center and other non production properties) separately. They made up with the devil (Daimler) so they would come up smelling like a rose no matter what! whoever said you could trust a private equity firm.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, you did see that the CAW (Canadian Auto Workers) reached a tentative agreement with Chrysler late last night? That was one of the roadblocks to avoiding bankruptcy from what I understood...

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumped the 300c awd today and got my wife an Accura tl awd. Deecided to get out while the chrysler was still worth something. Will keep the Viper forever however. GTS Bruce

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what will happen to chrysler finacial are they still loaning money for new car sales?
YES and in Jan. they got 1.5 Billion and I used a portion at 0 % financing for my 09. They have the usual Indian outsourcing though when you call to discuss your account. More threads to come on this deal..........

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it would be awsome if chrysler finacial would make a buy it now price for there leased or finaced vehicles?yaw yaw i know im dreaming

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the deal works out all cars will be dumped. Chrysler to make jeep,minivan,truck and sell fiat cars with dodge nameplates. BK still likely even if a deal is made to shed costs,unions,pensions etc,etc. GTS Bruce

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the deal works out all cars will be dumped. Chrysler to make jeep,minivan,truck and sell fiat cars with dodge nameplates. BK still likely even if a deal is made to shed costs,unions,pensions etc,etc. GTS Bruce
And you know this to be fact how exactly? Those in the know how have non-disclosure contracts.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BK still likely even if a deal is made to shed costs,unions,pensions etc,etc. GTS Bruce

Pensions and retiree health care will be protected. I have a 25-year pension at stake.

"The Treasury has an agreement in principle with the United Auto Workers union to protect pensions and retiree health care benefits as a condition of the bankruptcy filing, the paper said."

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pensions and retiree health care will be protected. I have a 25-year pension at stake.

"The Treasury has an agreement in principle with the United Auto Workers union to protect pensions and retiree health care benefits as a condition of the bankruptcy filing, the paper said."
It has only been stated UNION pensions will be protected. Note also that has been said before and during bankruptcy proceedings the banks and creditors have won and had major reductions in said guarantees. Believe it if you will but the banks are in control.