Ugh...RT/10 Soft Top

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a little difficult the first few times I put it together. Really confusing the first time.

However - from my point of view - it's a really sturdy top. In fact, the latches work better than the hard top.

I feel really comfortable driving any speed with the soft top on. It's light enough that I can put it on and off the car by myself - no problem.

Now that I've done it a few times, it's really not that bad. Just took a little practice.

I had already done it a few times - before I needed it in an emergency. So I'm pretty comfortable now that I could get it out and on pretty quick.

As far as a soft top goes (and the fact that the RT-10 is a roadster) I think it's a well made top.

The latches are actually BETTER than the hard top. My hard top latches tend to work loose real easy - don't have the same issue with the soft top.

I wish the hard top had the same "latch" handles as the soft top.

Just my 2 cents worth.......

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine together ONCE and it took me 20 minutes as well. I don't like the look of it on the car, so it will never come out of its bag again.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be careful forcing the side rails into place, I broke my right side rail and ended up buying a whole new used top because it was cheaper than buying the replacement rail kit.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen many posts of how hard the soft top is, and while it's not just a "pop it in place" type of top, It isn't hard at all! The first time I used it, I had to think for a moment but it is obvious how it works. I am not trying to "flame" anyone or make any enemies, just take your time and you will find it durable, easy, and ugly as he!!.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should be happy it's not a gen1

NO WINDOWS!!!

And?! Craig, what are you trying to say? :confused: Just because when we get stuck in the rain, it turms into bath time. :D But hey, my car has "never seen rain" :smirk: :rolleyes:

Mike

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once I got an Autoform Hard Top, I refuse to put that soft top back on. It really is hard to believe that is the best design they could come up with. Though it is much easier to put on than the Autoform top.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
........... But hey, my car has "never seen rain" :smirk: :rolleyes:

Mike

That's sad...... I'd post some pictures... but my 96 Black/Silver looks like it was left out in a tornado!

Today one of my clients came in the office giving me "the business" about that dirty A$$ viper in the parking lot...

I just said that's what happens when you drive a car EVERY DAY!!!

No garage queen here!

But I don't have the soft top.. .just a hard top.... means you have to plan driving *******... or not go far from home!

Lance

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attn: malcoll / LANCE

Lance:

Just wanted to find out how many miles you presently have on your car. I am going to use my new RT/10 everyday and I finally found someone that auctally uses their caar everyday. Let me tell you, there are soo few on here. Maybe ran into ten people.

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RTShawn try leaving your soft top together instead of in the bag most of the time. It gets much easier that way... If you cant do that ,leave it outside on sunny days to help . Hope things get easier. I like both my tops :cool: :cool:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Attn: malcoll / LANCE

Lance:

Just wanted to find out how many miles you presently have on your car. I am going to use my new RT/10 everyday and I finally found someone that auctally uses their caar everyday. Let me tell you, there are soo few on here. Maybe ran into ten people.

Finally found someone who uses it every day? There are several of us daily drivers that post here regularly?!

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The soft top is great. Sounds like a "practice" issue. Most of the time my RT-10 is ******* - that's why I got an RT-10.......

I'm a big guy and can pull the hard-top off by myself without worrying about any damage. But there is no way I can put the hardtop on comfortably by myself.

The soft top I can do it. So it's a great option that I can do myself without having a full pulley system with ropes just to haul up and down the hard top.

It latches easy - and like I pointed out early - it latches better than the hard top.

Plus the soft top is a good driving top - when you need it. It doesn't flap in the wind - even at 100+.

For a fold up portable top - I think it is well designed.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, driving in my week old RT/10 over the weekend, the weather started turning bad. Guess its time to whip out the soft top. I had read about the soft top being a bit of a pain, but its just a top, a few latches, and it should be on, right?

What the heck were they thinking with this thing? Here we are, in the parking lot, both of us struggling to get the stupid sides to pop into place. Finally, after using every muscle in my body, I am able to force one side, and then the other side into place. WHEW...I think that took us about 15-20 minutes, in 80 degree weather (not yet raining). So, now, finally, we are done...go to finish putting the top on the car (just a couple latches). Yea right! I had to push down on each side as hard as I possibly could and then some to get the stupid latches to turn.

I can't believe no-one has developed a better soft top for this thing. There is no way I am going to fight with that thing in the middle of a parking lot when heading to dinner or whatever...so I ended up having to use the hard top! Argh!

Get some practice with it and get someone with experience to show you how they do it - it only takes me a few minutes to assemble by myself.

Extra tip - my previous soft top experienced multiple problems, including latches, hole worn in the top material, and scratched up support bars - to avoid the latter two problems, when I fold in the side bars, I place a towel over the length of them, then I fold the top material over the towel - that way the side bar bolts under the plastic caps do not rub on the top and the whole thing doesn't beat on itself while in the trunk or being handled - make sure the towel isn't too thick though, or it'll be too hard to get the top into the soft top bag.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the first things I did when I bought the car was take the soft top into our living room and figure out how it worked. A little confusing, but not too bad. It's a 5 minute job at most--start to finish. Our top stays assembled for the summer except for when it looks like rain--then we disassemble it and put it in the trunk. Assembled--it's about a 30 second(maybe less) job for 2 people and about a minute for one to put on the car. The top will probably last longer if left assembled whenever possible. You need to make sure the little covers are over the rear latches and the rubber boots over the front or you will find a hole(s) in the fabric. There is also only one way to fold it up and get it in the trunk properly. It is a rather clumsy affair, but once you're used to it, it works pretty good. Given the car was initially designed with no top, it's probably as good as it can be. I've been to 145 MPH with it on and no problems

Steve

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, heres a question then. Are you supposed to remove the rubber boots over the front latch thingies? They have small holes in them and bunched up really badly when trying to put them into the holes up front.

Um.... Yes. At least that is what I did - worked fine for me with them off. I think they are there just to protect the top during storage.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, heres a question then. Are you supposed to remove the rubber boots over the front latch thingies? They have small holes in them and bunched up really badly when trying to put them into the holes up front.

....'Therein lies the rub' The rubber boots are strictly for storage. If they're damaged, you need to get new ones or an equal substitute. You'll be seeing daylight if they aren't functional.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960