ultima battery??'s

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking to replace the AC Delco battery in my 2004 vert.
the "standard" ultima is the model 25, about $155. (red top)
next is the model 34 which is onlt about 3/4" longer, and more CCA and reserve time. about 7 lbs heavier. about $179. (Red top)
then the yellow top deep cycle battery. same cca as the 34 but more reserve. about $199.
everything i've read says the model 25 is adequate. the 34 will fit and the deep cycle may or may not be worth the extra money.
any first hand experience?
thanks
tom

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've read on the forum, the experts say the Sears Die Hard Platinum is the best battery you can get for the Viper. Group 78 for Gen II's and group 34 for Gen III & IV.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I've read on the forum, the experts say the Sears Die Hard Platinum is the best battery you can get for the Viper. Group 78 for Gen II's and group 34 for Gen III & IV.

This. I put the the Group 34 in my 2003 back in February. Best $200 you'll spend.

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i looked at the die hard too.
better performance as far as CCA and reserve than the 34 ultima, for a few bucks more. but it's still a conventional platform.
i'm interested in the ultima because of alleged better vibration resistance and severe duty use. is that just hype?
thanks
tom

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i looked at the die hard too.
better performance as far as CCA and reserve than the 34 ultima, for a few bucks more. but it's still a conventional platform.
i'm interested in the ultima because of alleged better vibration resistance and severe duty use. is that just hype?
thanks
tom
I think that you've assumed that all "Diehard" branded batteries are the same construction ? The "Platinum" battery is not a traditional platform. It is Absorbed Glass Mat construction. Although I have never had an issue with the several Optima red-top batteries that I own; many people have. The Optima is made by Johnson Controls (same company that makes most consumer batteries like Interstate, Duralast, Everstart, and Diehard traditional wet cell platforms.) The Diehard Platinum is an AGM battery made by Odyssey and has an excellent reputation.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Braille Batteries. Nuf said. Best you can get. You can get as good or as light as a battery as your pockets can afford.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 2 Optima Red Top Batteries over the past 6 years and none of them ever compared to the Sears Platinum Battery that I now have had for 2 years with no problems(worth every penny)!!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 2 Optima Red Top Batteries over the past 6 years and none of them ever compared to the Sears Platinum Battery that I now have had for 2 years with no problems(worth every penny)!!!

Correct and also over rated. The Sears or Duralast Gold from Auto Zone are the best...

F

FrgMstr

Have Optima batteries in my Viper (6 years) and my Hummer (4 years). Never had an issue. Been great batteries for me.

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the sears looks good. i had no idea it wasn't conventional battery tech. for some reason, i thought the sponge tech was brand specific.
sorry about the ultima reference. the spell check on this mac has a mind of it's own!
tom

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Braille Batteries. Nuf said. Best you can get. You can get as good or as light as a battery as your pockets can afford.

Just to let everyone know, Braille Batteries are made by Deka. Braille just puts their stickers on them. Find the part number you want and buy from Deka. Braille are a bunch of theives. My friend designed the battery mounts and sold them on both his site and theirs. They copied his design and sell them under Braille now. I know he didn't patent the design, but it's still bad business. Don't buy Braille! Buy Deka.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, Braille Batteries are made by Deka. Braille just puts their stickers on them. Find the part number you want and buy from Deka. Braille are a bunch of theives. My friend designed the battery mounts and sold them on both his site and theirs. They copied his design and sell them under Braille now. I know he didn't patent the design, but it's still bad business. Don't buy Braille! Buy Deka.

That is 100% true for Brailles basic battery line.

Except Deka doesn't offer the Lithium Racing Batteries which are the best or well at least the most expensive batteries money can buy, but for 2,500.00 a battery.... :crazy2: I'll stick with the cheap ones anyway. *I'm no battery expert so I'm not 100% sure what makes these batteries worth over 2,000 dollars more than others... maybe they drive for you or something.

Last edited:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Correct and also over rated. The Sears or Duralast Gold from Auto Zone are the best...

I stay away from the Duralast Gold. Autozone's warranty is good, but the battery is not. I put one in my Mustang and it *exploded* after 3 years and the acid ruined the paintwork under the hood around the battery. I got a free battery replacement from Autozone no questions asked, but in 2 years the replacement failed with a crack near one of the terminals. I'm not impressed...

Does the DieHard Platimum P-1 (top posts) work for a 2008?

Last edited:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried optima ONCE in my Z06 and it was the second worst battery I ever had (first being the Never start at walmart)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Had constant issues with an Optima Yellow Top I put in my 04 Viper.

DC Performance replaced it with an Interstate battery and no issues for years.

The OE batteries are pretty good if you keep a battery tender on them.

Dan

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Last time that I checked (2 months ago), I did NOT find a group 78 (or 75) in a Die-Hard Platinum that had side terminals ONLY.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My diehard gold lasted 7 yrs ,so when it died I bought another one. Had an optima battery in my srt10 RAM and it only lasted two yrs...replaced it with a diehard platnium.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have run Optima Red tops in the past...terrible battery in my opion and heavy as hell. Go with the Sears Plat and you'll be very happy!

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was going to go with the DieHard PLATINUM AGM, since it seems to be an excellent choice. However, my local Sears was out of stock and I did not want to drive an hour or two to another store. Since I knew the Platinum is made by Odyssey, I started looking into that too and came to the conclusion that the Odyssey 34-PC1500T should be a perfect fit for my torch red '08. It's a little more expensive than the DieHard Platinum, but on the other hand it's black with red top and not gray like the Sears battery. Since the Odessey is black, there's no need to paint it. (A gray battery will be visible from the back of the car - something Sears DieHard Platinum owners have pointed out).

Last edited:

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the autozone duralast gold. The factory battery on my 08 tried to leave me stranded in arizona after 2 1/2 years in the austin heat and sweat. I didn't have any choice to be honest...I needed a new battery, but it's been great so far. I've only heard great things about them.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I second the autozone duralast gold. The factory battery on my 08 tried to leave me stranded in arizona after 2 1/2 years in the austin heat and sweat. I didn't have any choice to be honest...I needed a new battery, but it's been great so far. I've only heard great things about them.

Yes, they work fine until they explode and ruin the painwork (first battery) or leak acid causing a bad connection that stalls the engine while you're making a turn with oncoming traffic (second battery). No more Duralasts for me, thank you.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, they work fine until they explode and ruin the painwork (first battery) or leak acid causing a bad connection that stalls the engine while you're making a turn with oncoming traffic (second battery). No more Duralasts for me, thank you.

I'm guessing from that post and your previous one regarding the Odyssey, you have sworn off buying fluid filled batteries? I haven't gone quite that far yet for my daily drivers; but I do agree that the AGM battery eliminates a lot of issues. (Well, except that there appeared to be an issue with the Optimas for a while at least). Since most of the fluid filled batteries such as Duralast, DieHard, Interstate, Everlast, etc., are made by Johnson Controls, I'd guess that we wouldn't have any other choice than to go to an Odyssey or DieHard Platinum if any one of JC's labels was decided to be off limits.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main advantage of the Platinum over the Odyssey is a superior warranty, 4-Year Free Replacement; 100-Month Prorated Limited Warranty plus its a few bucks less to buy. The warranty is only valid assuming Sears stays in business :dunno:

All AGM's like to be charged at a slighter higher voltage than the wet cells, make sure that your battery tender has an AGM setting. Never had great luck with Optimas, they tend to need to be boost charged every month or two to keep the voltage up. About 10.5 volts is considered very dead for a battery...once you go lower than that you dramatically weaken and shorten a batteries life. Deep cells like to absorb about 20 amps and give put out about 20 amps, but over a long constant time...not the best choice for a starting battery. People think that since it is a deep cycle you can run it down to nothing...not true, go below 10.5 volts and you're hurting the battery.

Best thing about all AGM's is I've never found a documented case of explosion.....no leaks is just an added plus.

Cheers,
George

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd guess that we wouldn't have any other choice than to go to an Odyssey or DieHard Platinum if any one of JC's labels was decided to be off limits.

Yes, I thought so, but there appears to be a third option: The BatteriesPlus X2 Power AGM batteries are made by Northstar. Pricewise it's right inbetween DieHard and Odyssey... An advantage with the X2 Power is that it has brass posts instead of the traditional lead posts. Unfortunately it's gray with a blue top, so it will require some rattle can treatment to blend in :)

DieHard and Odessey both have a 4 year warranty. The X2 Power has five (no prorating for Odyssey and X2 Power).

So now my question is: NORTHSTAR or ODYSSEY ?:dunno:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To summarize:
Sears DieHard Platinum (made by Enersys): $210, Gray, 4 year warranty (no pro rata), 100-month prorating
Batteries Plus X2 Power (made by Northstar): $235, Gray/Blue top, 5 year warranty (no pro rata), Brass posts instead of classic lead posts
Odyssey (made by Enersys): $284, Black/Red top, 4 year warranty (no pro rata)

Last edited:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The main advantage of the Platinum over the Odyssey is a superior warranty, 4-Year Free Replacement; 100-Month Prorated Limited Warranty plus its a few bucks less to buy.

And the main disadvantage is the color. The Platinum requires that you bring out a can of black spray paint to make the battery "invisible".

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just found out that the Enersys batteries (DieHard Platinum and Odyssey) have TIN PLATED BRASS TERMINALS. So it's not lead terminals at all... Makes me think the non-plated terminals of the X2 Power are no better. All the batteries are pretty much equal on this point. The shiny brass terminals of the X2 Power are more or less fool's gold :smirk::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4