under-hood heatshield cleanup?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone even try to cleanup or detail the heatshield blanket under the hood? I'm not too sure of what it's made of or if there is even a way to clean it and or blacken it back to like new condition. Also, what would you use to recolor rub spots on the fiberglass rubbing against weatherstripping?:confused:

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some people remove it and spray paint it black. I would do that if I knew how to remove it. Those tabs look fragile.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed my pad and painted the sneaky pete logo on it. I then finished it by spraying 2-3 coats of clear on it to help make cleanup easier. There are a few how-to's on painting/removing hood pads. Try searching on "paint hoodpad" or "remove hoodpad" I found several good hits. The retaining clips will need to be replaced as they break off easily. You can use plastic pry-bar tools to remove the clips at your local AutoZone. A good pair of pliars also does the job nicely. I found replacement clips at my local hardware store.

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the white film on the pad. It seems to form after the pad gets wet from car washing. I used Mequires Vinyl/Rubber Protectant. Removed the whitish film, now pad looks brand new. I just saturated a towel and dabbed it all over the pad. Do not rub pad as it may cause it to fray. Do a test sample in the corner of the pad to get comfortable.
ed

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed something interesting in the service manual i purchased. For an 04, the pad is called a noise silencer. Therefore i dont think it is specifically used to address the heat and protect the hood, at least for 03 plus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte