Upgrading to High Flow Cats?

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im curious if anyone knows for a gen I, if you upgrade just the cats to high flow, is it worth it? do the high flow cats alone improve sound, air flow, and reduce the heat coming from the sides? is it as simple as cut and weld them in?

thanks in advance

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have any.. but i've done research. yes to all your questions.

the only downside is that it may cause your car to smell like fuel and sometimes it'll throw a CEL.. sometimes not.

One day i'm going to elimiate the cats under the doors.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did mine, well, my husband did. Used stainless band clamps. Easy and less heat. No smell but I hear you can if you go catless. Also did M&M headers. Love it!

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 you won't have to worry about throwing a CEL. It will help with the sound (louder) and side sill heat. You can cut them off with a saw saw and either use clamps or weld them on. If you don't feel comfortable do it, remove the sills yourself and take it to an exhaust shop.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How loud do you want it? Headers will make a more aggressive sound. Call me, I'll tell ya all you want to know about gen.1 sound.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes to all your questions. Second best mod you can do to a GEN1 is replace the cats.

OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys...i want a little more of an aggressive sound without adding to my wifes "Viper Complaints List"...as long as it will give the sounds a little more richness and reduce side sill heat, i think those are good enough reasons...i am seeing progression on the bubbling and paint of the sills the past 2 years so hopefully that will help out...

do you gain any power from the high flow cats?

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys...i want a little more of an aggressive sound without adding to my wifes "Viper Complaints List"...as long as it will give the sounds a little more richness and reduce side sill heat, i think those are good enough reasons...i am seeing progression on the bubbling and paint of the sills the past 2 years so hopefully that will help out...

do you gain any power from the high flow cats?

Hi... I have an all stock 93 6000k miles... I've wanted to remove the stock exhaust and just did after lots of research... I did not want to cut my stock one so I removed it complete from the turnouts at the manifold and stored them away for future collector reasons.

I was able to locate a pair of stock turnouts from a salvaged 94... Went with Random Tec cats (stainless) and magaflow 4" SS exhaust - welded all section together along with new rear hangers. Much cooler - I mean I can touch my sills right after a ride and the sound is just right... Sounds like a tuned exhaust.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you are doing the cats also think about changing the headers to the 1999 or newer oem headers. they are inexpensive and flow much better, the combination of the cats and headers will definitely be felt. The headers will bolt right in. The turnout takes some minor work.

im curious if anyone knows for a gen I, if you upgrade just the cats to high flow, is it worth it? do the high flow cats alone improve sound, air flow, and reduce the heat coming from the sides? is it as simple as cut and weld them in?

thanks in advance

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala