Uppity Supercharged Vipers!!!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I've had about enough of this. Between Dr. Roof, SmokinV10, Executron, Gerald, and several others, it suddenly seems like everyone has a 900+ HP Supercharged Viper. Where's the uniqueness, the bragging rights, the ne plus ultra tropy in that? I mean, what's a guy got to do to remain king of the supercharged hill, anyway???

Oh right -- make it more powerful, of course. And that's exactly what we're going to do :eek: . Doug and I have been bouncing a few ideas around ever since he finished my car, and I think we've got a solid plan to add a bit more beastliness to the yellow beast. I should have results to report in a few weeks. In the meantime, stay tuned for my usual teasers...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As traction impared as your beast is already, you two might talk about adding AWD to help put all of that power to the ground.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben u **** man.. *grumble grumble* ...hehe.

I've had a record year so far already... hmmmm, lemme give Doug a call also.. :laugh:

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know guys...I used you as model supercharged citizens when I decided to get my car done by Doug...and here you are raising the bar again before I even get my car finished :( ...I can't win...no matter what I do you are always a step ahead :)

Clark

S

SUN RA KAT

I feel embarrassed that I only have 580 rear wheel horsepower. How can those poor unfortunate souls who have stock 450 flywheel horsepower Vipers even dare leave their garages? :rolleyes:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel embarrassed that I only have 580 rear wheel horsepower. How can those poor unfortunate souls who have stock 450 flywheel horsepower Vipers even dare leave their garages? :rolleyes:

This poor unfortunate soul kind of likes his garage :cool:
195000_0096A-med.JPG

But I to plan on getting supercharged soon. I just may have to borrow against the shack. :usa:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh, well my car can't ruh nines. Maybe I should rip the S/C off and replace it with 650RWHP shot of nitrous... NOT...hehe

Gerald

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake505

The supercharged viper has not reached the nines on the 1/4 yet! Though I don't think it is far off. However, these blown cars are a Force that not many want to mess with on the street. You will find that most people want there cars for daily use. and though a nitros car occasionally will beat a blown car at the track. But what about that rare chance driving down the road and a Motorcycle decides to shame the Viper or another Built mustang. The nitros must be turned on the blower you simply push the gas and say GOODBYE!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I've had about enough of this. Between Dr. Roof, SmokinV10, Executron, Gerald, and several others, it suddenly seems like everyone has a 900+ HP Supercharged Viper. Where's the uniqueness, the bragging rights, the ne plus ultra tropy in that? I mean, what's a guy got to do to remain king of the supercharged hill, anyway???

Oh right -- make it more powerful, of course. And that's exactly what we're going to do :eek: . Doug and I have been bouncing a few ideas around ever since he finished my car, and I think we've got a solid plan to add a bit more beastliness to the yellow beast. I should have results to report in a few weeks. In the meantime, stay tuned for my usual teasers...

Ben, Your car will always be the ultimate trophy. Just remember that eventually, there is always someone who is faster and making more power...... That's why I am having Heffner make mine the next most powerful supercharged Viper on the planet. Sure, I'll be the king of the hill for a few weeks or maybe even for a few months........ But then someone will come out with something more powerful...... That's just the way it is!==> That's why Jason will be making me several pullies of decreasing diameter and fuel programs to match so I can try to stay afloat as KING OF THE DYNO! LOL!

P.S. I do not think the average guy/girl in the passenger seat could quantify a difference in the SOTP feel if he/she went for a ride in your car, Gary A's, Smokin's, Dr.Roof, Gerald, Executron/ etc...... Any Bike would get the same ant sized picture of the back end of all these great a$$ kicking machines. I think we should all be proud to have such superlatively crafted and engineered masterpieces! This spring and summer should be fun!

One more thing: We all need to get together( On a closed course, of course{no pun intended}) and do some 1/4 mile, standing mile, top speed, 100-200 MPH pulls, braking/etc...==> You know, like a Supercharged Viper tuners challenge. That would be cool.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo

Well Said! I think the Supercharged Viper shoot out is a great Idea! If enough would support I could rent Beech Bend in Ky or I would Travel anywhere! Maybe it could be like a tuner shoot-out! DLM VS HEFFNER VS SEAN ROE AND WHOMEVER ELSE THAT BLOWS!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo

Well Said! I think the Supercharged Viper shoot out is a great Idea! If enough would support I could rent Beech Bend in Ky or I would Travel anywhere! Maybe it could be like a tuner shoot-out! DLM VS HEFFNER VS SEAN ROE AND WHOMEVER ELSE THAT BLOWS!

Dr. Roof, that would be THE BOMB! I'm all for it!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between Dr. Roof, SmokinV10, Executron, Gerald, and several others, it suddenly seems like everyone has a 900+ HP Supercharged Viper. Where's the uniqueness, the bragging rights, the ne plus ultra tropy in that?

It would be really unique to see a supercharged car run a single 9 sec. pass. 900 hp is great, but with all that multitude of SC cars out there I cant understand why a single one of them has gone in the 9's. NOS cars with 150 rw hp less have gone 9's.

Snake505 took the words right out of my mouth. I've always said that dyno numbers are one thing but going down the track is the true test. Unfortunately, my car was finished right about the time all the tracks closed here for the winter and we've been unable to make the historical run.

For the record, my car is still the highest horsepower S/C-only Viper in the world!! This title was bestowed upon my car by King Ben himself (thanks Ben!). I plan to back that up with the FIRST 9-second pass with a blown Viper in the very near future. ;)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the post I made when my car was last dynoed:

dyno results

Since then Jason has added the now famous "Heffner Super-sized Intercooler" and larger injectors. This will undoubtedly yield some more horsepower based on results of SmokinV10's car. Jason also has a custom-ground cam that should increase HP by about 50 and torque by about 100 (according to computer models). We're always conservative about estimating HP gains, but we're hoping that the numbers will go into the 900's (rwhp, corrected) <font color="red"> on 93 octane fuel and NO nitrous </font>with a very bullet-proof package.

My car has about 4000 miles on it since it was supercharged and we've made around 200 dyno pulls (isn't that some kind of record?) and I haven't had one single problem (outside of traction!!!). I have a perma-smile on my face that just can't be erased.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys- zip up your pants :)

almost none of you is wrenching their 800+ rwhp vipers themselves. so it is just a function of money and as such- seriously overrated.

ofcourse what do i know- putting my own headers makes me happier than just shipping my car to some tuner to do all the work.

but, different folks different strokes :)

alex
02 gts
few other cars

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yes. The quest for "King of the Hill" status. My policy has always been to be able to run with the big dogs but not necesarrily be the big dog. It's just too [******] difficult to stay on top. :laugh: :laugh:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ I hope I can prove you wrong by completing my Viper with the Roe SC and 800RWHP. I am doing it with the assistance of a mechanic at my house. It is not just a matter of money with me because I really enjoy working on my car and snowmobile. I am anxiously awaiting the weekend to install my SC'er.

Is it a true statement that there is no SC vipers in the 9's without NOS? I just cannot believe that you can have that much HP and not be in the 9's. It must be a matter of of traction because the MPH is definitely high enough to be in the 9's.

Gary
Did you run your 10.48 after your 844RWHP SC or before?

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; Is it a true statement that there is no SC vipers in the 9's without NOS?

That is correct to the best of my knowledge. The race is on :)

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PLEASE NOTE: NO FLAMES INTENDED.........

While Horsepower SELLS, it's torque that is winning races and making 9 second passes in Vipers, why do you think the basic Viper engine makes more torque than Horsepower?

It takes about 900 Ft/Lbs of REAR WHEEL torque at 4400 RPMS and lower to make a 9 second pass a reality in a Viper, or at least that's what we have seen so far. A s/c only car may run a 9 one day, but it's gonna take more than 800 Ft/Lbs of torque.

Just my $ 0.02

Tom

P.S. the shame is that the average 9 second drag race car makes less than 800 ft/lbs of torque but has much greater chassis efficiency along with better gearing and tranny choices. We are fighting that battle with our Vipers as well.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom-
Great point. People can sometimes get overly-consumed with peak horsepower numbers without realizing that the 'acceleration factor' is mostly governed by torque. Average torque across the rpm band is the best way to go.

Althought I am not going to predict or guarantee that our LETHAL 750 package + supercharger (completing now!) will make it into the 9's, I do think that it is an excellent platform well suited for such a challenge.....

The reason....THIS CAR MAKES MASSIVE TORQUE!!! Keep in mind, that our current LETHAL 750 package makes over 600rwtq from 2800rpms to 5800 rpms on engine alone (flat torque curve). Peak torque is over 700rwtq at 4400rpms. We think this is a great platform to add a supercharger.

In the next couple weeks we will be finalizing the installation and dynotuning the FIRST LETHAL 1000! I will guarantee that this car will make some SERIOUS TORQUE and power too....By the way, did I mention that the blower unit we are using is 50 state CARB certified, and the LETHAL 750 passes the emission sniffers in California!!!!!!

I will keep everyone posted on the progress. Thanks for your patience.
Wishing everyone luck on breaking into the 9s with a supercharger....
Wayne

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bite. Is there a point? These S/C cars are already tough to dyno, as they're breaking traction on the drum. They're even tougher to get down the 1/4 because they can't put the power down. Ben even posted the videos where his 'de-tuned' 800 HP version ran a faster time than his full-tune beast, from VOI I believe. I'm not denying their fun factor, and if you've got the cash, by all means do what you want with it. But you'll look kind of funny if you meet a 700+ HP WRX on the street and he leaves you at the stop light with your rear tires and your extra 300 HP smoking.

Not that I don't enjoy all the pics of the shiny gyzmos and horsepower charts ;-)

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Point Tom,

Although most ppl that get S/C' aren't 1/4 mile track rats. I can use approx 800++ RWHP TQ and HP all the time... Every stop light, every roll on, every bike..hehe etc. Nitrous is awesome! But for everyday driving, forced induction is the way to go..

Gerald

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ I hope I can prove you wrong by completing my Viper with the Roe SC and 800RWHP. I am doing it with the assistance of a mechanic at my house. It is not just a matter of money with me because I really enjoy working on my car and snowmobile. I am anxiously awaiting the weekend to install my SC'er.

Is it a true statement that there is no SC vipers in the 9's without NOS? I just cannot believe that you can have that much HP and not be in the 9's. It must be a matter of of traction because the MPH is definitely high enough to be in the 9's.

Gary
Did you run your 10.48 after your 844RWHP SC or before?

The 10.48 was run with the 844 rwhp by Jamie Furman on radials. Since I have StopTech brakes, I haven't been able to get the proper tire combination for a 9-second assault. I have since remedied that problem and am just waiting to get back to the track.

There have been no S/C Vipers (nitrous or otherwise) that have run in the 9's.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys- zip up your pants :)

almost none of you is wrenching their 800+ rwhp vipers themselves. so it is just a function of money and as such- seriously overrated.

ofcourse what do i know- putting my own headers makes me happier than just shipping my car to some tuner to do all the work.

but, different folks different strokes :)

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Interesting... I didn't realize that wrenching your own car was required to enjoy awesome power. Let me explain the difference, it's kind of like getting out the guitar and trying to play like Jimi Hendrix versus having Jimi Hendrix come to your house and play just for you.

I do the work on my car that I feel comfortable with, but when it comes to building a monster powerhouse, Jason Heffner is the only guy I trust.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dRAG RACING SEASON IS NEAR AND i'M GLAD TO SEE THE SPIRIT OF PUTTING S/C CAR'S INTO THE NINES.

I PREDICT THE FIRST WILL BE BENS BEAST! AND HOPEFULLY, IM NOT TOO FAR BEHIND.

THE RACE IS ON!!!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love this thread. This is where the real men are hanging out! 900hp and looking for more - you won't see this stuff on the Honda Civic forum :D

Mark - a 700hp WRX? If you ever find one, I'd like to hear about it. 550hp is about the limit for those flat fours before they start grenading. Someone may get past that for a little while, but not for long I reckon. Still your point was they are good across an intersection. No arguement there - my old Subaru could pull 1.07g in first gear with its AWD. Not bad for a 2 litre four!

Our top local Nissan Skyline is running their 2.6 litre GTR at 8.95 sec at 156mph. It makes much less torque as it revs to 10,000, but makes about 950hp at the crank. AWD makes for a good 60ft. The **** have got 1350hp out of them and run solid 7's in a Skyline and 6's in a lightweight car.

Guys - someone on this board has got a sub 1.4 second 60 foot out of their Viper. That's incredible. I'd make friends with that guy and pick his brain for all its worth. If you can get the weight onto the back wheels and keep the tire planted flat, the 9's will come. It may require changing shocks (at least settings) and spring rates for the track...in fact I'm almost certain of it. It may be you can get adjustability built into the cars so you don't have to physically rip it all out just for a weekends play. The old 90/10 shocks for the front trick can help. Soft rear springs may not be needed with a stiff body and massive power.... it's all about experiementing - that's why I'd get around the guy getting 1.37 60 footers..... they've obviously hit the mark. They probably run close to zero camber and toe in plus a skinnier front tire too?

Anyone topping 150mph has enough power to run a sub nine (about 8.9's based upon trap speeds to drag cars here). That would not be possible in a street Viper, but getting a 60 footer around 1.4 will definitely get you a 9. Hope the trans holds! A 1.6 is a really a good time.... after that its some serious chassis tuning... and sticky tires, obviously not street Pilots!

As for torque vs hp - they're both related over a factor of 5252. Hp and rpms and gears vs torque and lower rpms, less gear etc. Same difference. The NO2 just spins the engine slower to make the torque. The SC needs more rpms to make more hp to make up for the lower torque... but can run more gear to make up the torque.... same end result.

I don't know why anyone isn't running 4.1:1 rear gears - tall gears (anything in the 3's)with big power spins tires worse than low gearing (4:1+) in my experience. The lower rear end gears match the engine speed to tire speed much quicker, whereas the tall rear gears (like stock ratios)are easily overpowered as the engine rpms force the tires to catch up. With a 0.5:1 6th gear - it'd still run just 1700rpm at 60-65mph depending on tire choice. Just my thoughts... with steep gears, you will however be changing gears like men demented ;)

SO NOS has done it, twin turbos (my favourite power source) have done it, who is gonna take the first SC Viper without NOS into the 9's?

My guess is several of you are going to do it - the one closest to a warmer climate will probably be first :)

Good luck guys, we can't wait to hear the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte