V10 powered boat

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The UK club visited a international sports car show yesterday and among the exhitiors was Ilmor with a 2004 Compe Coupe engine, producing 550bhp/600 ft lb with a "revised gen2 cam installed" The guy was rambling on about PVO and DC, but I didnt quite hear what he said

You must be registered for see images

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those headers would look AWESOME sticking up out of the hood vents on my SRT! I think the cabin heat would be better? Talk about in-your-face! That engine is beatifully detailed!

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the boat above has acheived a top speed of 111mph (GPS verified) with 3 people and a full fuel load, no mention of costs

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be anouncing a program for the VCA next week to take a peek @ the Miami Boat show 2/11, stay tuned for details!
Pete

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually looked into building a boat like that with those motors when it was introduced a year or so ago. Those are actually marinized standard V10 Viper motors, not really anything to do with the comp coupe. They are putting out 550 because all the automotive smog stuff is not required. They cost in the same area as similarly equipped 540 cu. in. GM tall blocks. Unfortunately 550HP is not all that much in an offshore hot boat. It is about the entrance level right now with Merc 500's being the standard. For what those motors cost you could probably have 850 HP or so from a variety of well known relaible custom builders. The other downside is parts and service. Take it from someone who has built 2 custom offshore boats with exotic leading edge stuff on them....what you want is a wide variety and availbility of parts and service or that boat is gonna be on the traler for a month waiting to get fixed. And engines like those don't last longer than 200 hours without complete rebuilds. The problem is they spent too much of their time at wide open throttle. The same thing would happen to our cars if we ran them at 190MPH for hours on end. And I was very impressed when I saw that boat for the first time about a year ago, but not so impressed when I heard the 111 mph number. Just not that fast for a cat with exotic engines. You can get that kind of speed from a Fountain V bottom. A cat with big power is more in the 135+ range before we get to being impressive. Having said all that I love the idea of Viper powered boats, I just would not pay more to go slower and have more maintenance issues just to be able to say I had a Viper motor.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, i hear ya lee. i would do what u have said too. i own 2 boats right now. my jet boat i drag race and my muscle boat i use for poker runs. but, if u think about it anybody can make a viper beat a lambo. but in the world of boating that viper boat is very exotic. and so in its own way like a lambo it is the coolest thing on water. if i had donald trumps $$$ u can bet i would have one of those viper boats docked next to my chevy or mercruiser powered offshore power boats.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Here on the north coast you can find both viper and lambo powered boats. The viper runs faster 115mph 42 fountain. Lambo is in powerquest about 40 foot not sure, running 105mph. Both sound very strange. The viper owner said it uses way too much gas compared to merc setups, but it does get the looks just like the cars do.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The program that Illmore has will surprize you. I will have more details for you in the begginibg of next week. Plan you trip to miami to check them out. The boats will be in the water.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try $375K. The guy who commissioned this boat owns Big Thunder Marine at the Lake of the Ozarks outside of St. Louis.
I think I've got a 2 page article on this boat if anyone is interested.

DN

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The manufacturer that I am talking about is from FLA & I will have more details this week. According to the invoice that I am processing it is a 15K upgrade over twin 575's.
I will be posting later this week!

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted on this months ago, but one big point is that the engines are much lighter than the typical Merc big block, particularly ones with blowers. Also, at 600 FT/LB the torque is very good for a 505 CI engine. Both these things are very important in a lightweight cat. I just saw more recent figures on the boat & it was running well over 120 now with more dialing in having been done. (Probably not with three passengers & full fuel however.)

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of last thursday, Bob Morgan, the owner, told me that this boat is currently at Lake of the Ozarks outside of St. Louis.

The Gateway and KC clubs will be visiting the Viper boat this summer. If anyone is interested in tagging along, let me know and I'll keep you in the loop.

DN
Gateway VCA President
[email protected]

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are finalizing the details now, The boat will be in water & VCA memebers will get an invatation, A Viper corral spot is being arranged as we speak.!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No this is a 2004 velocity, The details have been scarce lately I will post 1/28 with confirmed stuff. My wife mom is @ the final stages of an ugly illness so all our energies have been elswhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang