Valve Stem Air Leak

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While getting the car ready to come out of winter hibernation, I was checking the air in the tires. After taking the guage off the valve stem on the front tire air continued to leak out of the stem. I could see no dirt in the stem. The center pressure pin popped up the way it should, but air continued to leak. If I pushed the center pin slightly to the one side I was able to stop the leak. I do not want this to become a major problem on the road. I have stock wheels on my 2003. I realize that the valve stem is probably bad, but do I need to remove the tire from the wheel for a fix, or can I replace the stem by unscrewing it from the wheel? Recommendation? Thanks in advance.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to a parts store and buy yourself a tire valve core tool for under a dollar. You can then tighten the core and if that does not stop the leak you can remove it and replace the core with a new one from any tire shop. make sure you jack up that tire first as all the air will come out when you remove the core.

OP
OP
W

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys, will check it out.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Had that happen to one of my wheels too. Simple fix, just replaced the core.

I think a small piece of the rubber "O" ring that seals the valve stem cap got into the mix.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang