Vandalism & a better car alarm?

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, I can't believe my car has been vandalized three times already in a year.

This last time was at WalMart, right in front of two video cameras. They wouldn't let me see or get copies of the tape?! It's so bad at WalMart they have a security car driving around the parking lot all day. That should have been a clue not to park there.
When I called the cops to report it, they replied that: "we can take info over the phone now".

No wonder vandalism is rampant in the WalMart parking lot and presumably other stores too. The scumbags know that the cops don't even come out anymore.

Last note: is there a better alarm then the one that comes with the car? It never went off when the heathen(s) kicked the mirror or smashed the taillights or the car was purposely scratched, etc.

I need a real, working car alarm!

GPII

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I've never had any problems yet with vandalism with my Viper (so far).
But I usually take the cheaper cars out when visiting the cheaper areas, or going to the movies where I know the car will be out of sight for some time.

You might consider getting a proximity alarm with a motion sensor. I had a Clifford alarm with an inside zone and outside zone on my previous car.
You could set just the inside zone when the top was down (or the windows open), for when you knew that people were going to be walking by, and it would only go off if someone reached into the car.
Or you could set the outside zone for when you wanted to warn people who came close to your car (or tried to steal/vandalize). It had adjustments to set the sensitivity, so there weren't any false alarms after the unit was dialed in.

I had 3 incedents before the alarm, and none afterwards. :laugh:

-Dean.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First,

I know of a company working on an alarm, but won't be out until beginning of next year - so no help there.

Second,

I would file a lawsuit and subpoena the records. Probably $40 to file and a couple of hours of your time. And you will get the tape!

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Lance (Eric Stoltz) summed up in Pulp Fiction:

LANCE
Still got your Malibu?

VINCENT
You know what some ƒucker did to it
the other day?

LANCE
What?

VINCENT
ƒuckin' keyed it.

LANCE
Oh man, that's ƒucked up.

VINCENT
Tell me about it. I had the
****** thing in storage three
years. It's out five ƒuckin' days
-- five days, and some d1ckless
piece of **** ƒucks with it.

LANCE
They should be ƒuckin' killed. No
trial, no jury, straight to
execution.

VINCENT
I just wish I caught 'em doin' it,
ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything
to catch 'em doin' it. It'a been
worth his doin' it, if I coulda
just caught 'em, you know what I
mean?

LANCE
It's chicken ****. You don't ƒuck
another man's vehicle.

Amen.

That said, you CAN get those tapes from Walmart. A friend of mine had his identity stolen by his PoS brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) which was used to get a Walmart credit card. Anyway, we gave the manager tongue lashing when he even sounded like he MIGHT suggest we couldn't see the tapes of the guy using his credit card to buy stuff. Implied liability to Walmart, lawyers, courts, etc. You know, the usual legal threats to get people to do the right thing.

So we got the tapes pulled and viewed them.

Not to burst your bubble, and perhaps your store has a better CC television setup, but the tape quality is quite bad. We could barely tell who it was on the tape, and this is a guy we KNEW. Identifying a stranger would be exponentially more difficult.

Still worth the effort, though. Cuz you won't know until you see the tapes.

Good luck.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9mm hollow points?? :crazy:
Best insurance ;) Beep the alarm and a thief might not care, pull out a 9mm w/ hollow tips and he'll freeze with fear enabling you kick the living **** out of him.

I've had good experience with Viper alarms. You could look into one of the alarms where it'll page you if anything is happening to your vehicle, and I think some will show you for example what part of the car is being tampered with.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the alarm, if vandalism is rampant in your area, don't take your Viper amywhere you can't keep an eye on it.

If the cops are not going to care much why would the kids be running from an alarm. Who pays attention to alarms?

What good will the tapes do? What if you knew the vandals name and address? What would you do? He's going to be a kid and there is nothing you can do to him. You will go to jail big time if you go after him with violence.

If you catch the guys in the act you don't need a 9mm to deal with them. Some good quality mace or a short, non bone breaking, beating will do fine. That way you don't go to jail for a very long time.
Guys that advocate guns for dealing with vandals are just talking trash, felons ok, vandals no. Only a fool would shoot a vandal and the vandal might just know that, he might take your 9mm and shove it..... So file down the front sight tough guy.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear about that. A good car alarm system to get is the Viper Alarm system with the motion sensors. They put a sensor in the car (mine is in the glovebox) and it has two zones. One zone is inside the car and one zone is outside the car. You can have it set up so that if someone passes by it the car alarm will go off. The best part about this system is the fact that you get a remote telling you exactly what is going on with your car. Whatever happens to your car (opened hood, opened door, break in, etc.) is relayed on your remote. It beeps and vibrates when it goes off. It is a GREAT system and I love it. Also you have one extra button that allows you to set up pratically anything to it. I have it set up as a door opener for the drivers side. Gotta love the sustem. The system was not that expensive as well. It ran me about $600.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Subpeona the tapes - if they cannot produce them then sue walmart for damages, diminished value, saying they purposely destroyed evidence. I'm sure there are a thousand starving lawyers out there right now ready to defend you...

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

99BLKRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one drawback to having such a nice car. 99% of the time I only take it to places where I can keep my eye on it. I ALWAYS hear, "So when can I see your car? You never take it anywhere!" That's because I would never take it to apartments, restaraunts, malls, etc. I just worry about my car too much to drive it! :-(

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have posted this before; but some may not have seen it.
Go to the link, and click on the Quicktime movie, for the ultimate car protection.
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

Enjoy.
Later,

I hear that's how Bonker's Viper got torched. He pulled up next to this guy in a Bentley with one of those flamethrower kits installed on his car and asked if he had any Grey Poupon. So the guy lit Bonkers up.

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Vandalism & a better car alarm?

9mm Hollow Points = ammunition for 9mm handgun, hollow points being more deadly.

As a handgun owner myself, I'm sure it was said in jest!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

[/QUOTE]
I hear that's how Bonker's Viper got torched. He pulled up next to this guy in a Bentley with one of those flamethrower kits installed on his car and asked if he had any Grey Poupon. So the guy lit Bonkers up.

[/QUOTE]

I love it !!
Later,