Variations on a theme

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These thoughts are IMHO but based on what Gilles has said in various places. He states that Chrysler has learned from Ferrari how to build small numbers of a model in a profitable manner.

Future models?

A convertable has already been promised. Gilles said that it was designed into the current car, from a style point of view, simply remove the roof. There's a good rendering somewhere in this forum where a member did just that.

A track day car which is a street version of the R, with styling as close as possible to the race R. Transmission moved to rear and sourced from Xtrac as on the race car? The wider suspension? Other track day options such as roll over cage? Delete options such as the AC and entertainment center? Although the R does have a climate controlled cockpit.

Gilles wants an automatic trans option. Manual sifting auto or auto sifting manual, the latter being most likely. While developing one exclusively for the Viper is too expensive, there are alternatives such as modifying a future Chrysler box. Outsourcing is also an option. Ferrari has a box which could be used with proper modification for strength. So does MB, who owes Chrysler BIG TIME for selling them to that group of @#$%^& bandits that came close to destroying the company. The MB unit would not require strengthening.

A four wheel drive version based on the Ferrari FF four wheel drive unit with some strengthening. That unit is relatively light and simple.

A forced induction version, with the before mentioned four wheel drive. The new V10 has already sufficient strength to handle this mod. All that is requirted is lower compression pistions and a bolt on supercharger. Hood clearence may be a problem requiring a different hood. ;)

Last edited:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I hope you wrong. I'd hate to see the Viper get ****** out.

I'd much rather see SRT develop other sports cars. There are plenty of "me-toos" out there. If Ralph understands the Viper as well as you all have stated, I feel comfortable knowing he wouldn't do that. Ralph understands that the vert MUST have a different rear end. He wouldn't dare take the easy way out. Otherwise 50% of the Viper community would be alienated. He also understands that the only "automatic" even remotely acceptable is a clutchless manual like the lambo e-gear or ferrari "auto". He also understands that AWD is not Viper. If he wanted AWD he would create an entirely new model under SRT for that purpose. I'm confident Ralph will stick with the Viper DNA. He knows the ACR must have the wide bodywork and race car treatment. He knows with that it will be more menacing the Scuderia, SV, Superleggera, GT2RS, etc. could ever dream of being. Lastly, Ralph knows an 8.4L motor doesn't need some stinkin supercharger from the factory. He'd rather increase the displacement and use direct injection.

:)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sure we will get a convertible and an ACR, but one often wonders where the brand may go? Some likely envision it becoming like Ferrari or Porsche, where it is a distinct unit of Chrysler. Would this mean we would have Viper light, a Viper Super model , etc. , one might never know? As a legendary vehicle there can always be speculation as to where the road may lead. Definitely not clairvoyant, just wondered what could happen with a company passionate for the Viper, would it mean with this new beginning a growth segment for Chrysler in the high performance field? Heh, not stirring any ***, just wondering what the future could bring and as blasphemous to some as it might sound, how would you vote if you could have a garage of Viper models - ala Ferrari or Porsche.

The Viper stays as the line leader in an evolving form, but you drive to work in a 4 dr V10, and your SUV is a mean ass derivative of say the Jeep SRT8.

Just a vision of years to come, what would you accept, like , detest, etc. --------let the flames begin , this is just a thread wondering where we may be 10-15 years from now, and what may be necessary to survive?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
I

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads