VEC2 limitations?

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious as to what the limitations of a VEC2 are. At what point does the VEC run out of flexability and someone has to go AEM? Is it dependant upon what type of setup someone is running? Horsepower limitations?

Thanks!!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VEC2 is a timing and fuel piggy-back. AEM is a complete re-program. So anytime you want to do something more than modify the timing or fuel curves, you need an AEM.

OP
OP
K

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is that I may be purchasing a car that already has an AEM with a stroker motor/ nitrous, etc. It seems that with the AEM, there is always some sort of problem here or there that can get irritating on the Vipers. A/C problems, alternator problems, etc.

I was looking at swapping out the AEM for a VEC2 so I can have better reliability/ driveability.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will buy you a new Vec 2 and trade you for your AEM unit. Just let me know.

Dont know where you got the idea of all these problems but they are totaly false. My car is the 2nd viper ever to have an AEM unit and I have not had any of these problems with the production unit.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AEM is a problem for VA Viper owners since the emission check requires a OBDII port.How about your State? I guess you could swap the factory PCM for the inspection but the car must run without throwing codes.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VEC2 limitation => Tuner's experience. That's it.

I just had a track day and I can tell you that I played a lot with my Vec2. It was like being in a F1 team: Did a couple of laps then reprogrammed my fuel and ignition and did again several tours and so on. At the end of the day I had a perfect track setup.

Most of self tuners use VEC2 and if you need advise you can easily get help on this forum.

AEM is an outstanding product too. Requires even more experience than the VEC2. More difficult to get a personalized support for. There is also an emission issue with the AEM but it is easy to get around. You just swap in the old PCM when you do your smog check ...

The most important is that you get the right device that you can easily program for different driving conditions. There are also universal programs available for both devices but if you want to be close to the winners you need a personalized setup.