Very loud wind noise at high speeds..

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I'm driving 110 Miles/hour plus, it sounds like the roof is coming off the car. Because of the low pressure generated outside the windows at this speed I believe the windows are sucked out a little bit, which is the cause of this disturbed airflow. Or at least that is what I think it is..

Does anybody else have, or had, this problem? Is there an easy fix? It's just anoying to listen to!

Erik

PS: Not that I drive that fast so often ;)

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has happened before. Even to the point that the back window has blown out. I have expereienced it a little. Best to check if the vents in the back are not blocked/plugged.

OP
OP
F

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ulysses.

But my noise is coming just outside the door windows. It's especially at the drivers door. Could it be that the window is getting a little loose, and if this is the case, can it be tightened somehow?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At high speeds, usually above 120 or so, a high pressure area is developed which ***** the window away from its seal. Lots of people notice this on open highway events such as the Silver State Classic.

This is common with many cars. Vetts have the same issue.
Vipers in the SRT line have "smart glass" which rises into a secure notch to prevent this. When you tough the door handle the glass drops down 1/4 " out of the notch so the door can be opened without braking the glass.

The window can be canted in a little bit, but eventually the suction will overcome the seal, and the interior gets noisey.

This scared the heck out of me on the silver state classic. At about 145 mph the window bowed out. Even with my helmet on, I mentally began calculating what could be causing the noise. When you slow down the window seals itself again and it gets quieter.

OP
OP
F

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At high speeds, usually above 120 or so, a high pressure area is developed which ***** the window away from its seal. Lots of people notice this on open highway events such as the Silver State Classic.

This is common with many cars. Vetts have the same issue.
Vipers in the SRT line have "smart glass" which rises into a secure notch to prevent this. When you tough the door handle the glass drops down 1/4 " out of the notch so the door can be opened without braking the glass.

The window can be canted in a little bit, but eventually the suction will overcome the seal, and the interior gets noisey.

This scared the heck out of me on the silver state classic. At about 145 mph the window bowed out. Even with my helmet on, I mentally began calculating what could be causing the noise. When you slow down the window seals itself again and it gets quieter.
I figured that the window being sucked out was the problem. Nice to have it confirmed though.
So I guess there is no fix? It is just another of the Viper's charming sides?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a cacaphony of sounds: engine, tire, wind, etc. Try putting your windows down for high speed runs. It can be thrilling. :D