Vinyl Stripe Installation???

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have picked the stripe I want on my car (see picture below) but I am having a hard time finding an installer. Jon B from Parts Rack can have it custom cut. Has anyone ever installed their own stripe(s)? Is it possible for someone who never has? Ideas? Thanks. :)

bluenl.jpg

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are a few posts of people installing them, check out the search, i remember one being pretty detailed as I was researching on doing this at one point, you will find the majority of the threads on striping gen 2s, let us know how it turns out :2tu:

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know... I think I am going to get some paint quotes. I read a couple threads that stated that if you take them off after a few years the outside paint will be faded a bit and you will see a difference. My main reason for vinyl was to be able to take them off later if I sell or want something different like dual stripes, but if there might be a paint issue, then that kills that...

So, I guess I will search for painters... There are a couple good ones around here, but I will have to take the car with me so it will be a while before the roads get clean enough to drive... :mad:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have heard that as well with the paint issues however some that have taken them off after a long time said there is no paint fade, what they did comment on is the clear coat seemed in better condition under the strips but was resolved with a good power buffing, the problem with paint is the cost, the potential to reduce buyers, some people may not like a blue strip (i think one offset blue strip looks great on silver) and it will no longer be an original viper, the bad with vinyl is it does have a life span good vinyl is said to last 10 year, some times small micro bubbles are visible under the strips but they are easy to install, super cheap and easy to remove. If the paint does get damaged a repaint of straight silver will still be much cheaper than a silver paint job with a blue strip added, they can not simply paint a blue strip on they have to sand down your paint and repaint the silver, then the strip, then the clear coat. Another advantage of vinyl is you and test out the blue strip for a few months to make sure you like it if you are going to go the paint avenue, either way start with vinyl

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would think that if the car is garaged or has a car cover there shouldn't be any paint fade.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would think that if the car is garaged or has a car cover there shouldn't be any paint fade.

Agree with this. Unless you are parked outside in the hot sun every day I doubt you will see any paint fade. I love my vinyl stripes. BJMotors put mine on and did a fantastic job.:2tu:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a few guys inIL club that have gone to some good painters.

You might want to put a post in the IL section, or ask at the first meeting in April.

I have a guy here that did mine if you don't find anybody up there.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a few guys inIL club that have gone to some good painters.

You might want to put a post in the IL section, or ask at the first meeting in April.

I have a guy here that did mine if you don't find anybody up there.

Thanks Leslie. My preferred choice would be vinyl but I am having a hard time in Peoria finding someone...

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a sign shop that does vehicle graphics.

If you attempt yourself, the key is lots of water with a tiny bit of soap added so you can squeege all the bubbles out.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed about the sun and the car being garaged, in reality it will be out of the sun for most of its life, dont be hesitant to try it yourself, if you make a mistake you can peal it off and start over and the design graphic shop suggestion for an install is a solid one when I was doing my searching on vinyl that is who I contacted, also look for graphic shops that specialize in car wrapping

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know... I think I am going to get some paint quotes. I read a couple threads that stated that if you take them off after a few years the outside paint will be faded a bit and you will see a difference. My main reason for vinyl was to be able to take them off later if I sell or want something different like dual stripes, but if there might be a paint issue, then that kills that...

So, I guess I will search for painters... There are a couple good ones around here, but I will have to take the car with me so it will be a while before the roads get clean enough to drive... :mad:
Wondering if the "paint fade" thing would hold true for darker colors like my sapphire??? ANYBODY??? Thinking it may be more pertinant to lighter colors??? :dunno: Mine stays in the garage except for a little weekend driving and a couple week long trips every year.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had black vinyl stripes on my red GTS for five years.
When I took them off, after buffing out the car with a PC and a coat of wax you would never have known they were ever on. A weekend car that is garaged will not show any fade.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of the local Quad Cities owners just striped his own car (GTS) and mentioned something that should have been obvious to me. He just ordered 2x the amount that he needed so if it wasn't straight, he could just redo it.

I would imagine that a thin ACR stripe is much easier than two GTS stripes (which must stay parallel). He told me he paid about $60 for the 8" wide stripes - yours has to be cheaper! If you don't like it, pull them off and then have someone do it!

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the thin ACR Stripe starts out thinner than it ends. I do not think it is exactly the same width on the whole car. I need to get a hold of someone with the dimensions.

One of the local Quad Cities owners just striped his own car (GTS) and mentioned something that should have been obvious to me. He just ordered 2x the amount that he needed so if it wasn't straight, he could just redo it.

I would imagine that a thin ACR stripe is much easier than two GTS stripes (which must stay parallel). He told me he paid about $60 for the 8" wide stripes - yours has to be cheaper! If you don't like it, pull them off and then have someone do it!

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the thin ACR Stripe starts out thinner than it ends. I do not think it is exactly the same width on the whole car. I need to get a hold of someone with the dimensions.

If it is, it can't be but 1/4" or so (and may be more factory-error than anything else). That thin of a stripe you would really notice any tapering.

Oh yeah, and at speed who can tell?!?! :rolaugh:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laying down the vinyl on curves is tricky because the material will want to wander away from a strait line and follow the curve to lay flat. ueually you have to lay down more and cut the excess off the creat a line.

Bruce

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red, just curious, what did BJ Motors charge you to do the striping?

As far as impacting resale, guess it depends on your view of owning the car. If owning as an investment, which doesn't seem to be something to do these days, then resale shouldn't be an issue. If you like striping, then you should stripe your car.

Vinyl is good if you're on the fence about whether you will like a particular stripe color or style.

I also agree that if the car is garaged a lot, fading should not be an issue.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bernie striped it before I bought it (and when he was in VA). I'm not sure how much they charge. He might be able to give you some advice though if you shoot him a pm.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A professionally installed vinyl job is almost indistinguishable from paint.
When I first had mine done, people would come up and touch it and still were not sure.
Emphasis on professionally installed.
In fact, the vinyl actually has a lower raised edge than the PAINT does on Gen 3's and 4's.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Paul,

Might be worth posting in the IL chapter forum site as I seem to recall that there was someone good in the Chicago area that might be able to help you out. I also seem to recall that the install prices were a little on the expensive side - but this might be one of those jobs where you get what you pay for - especially with the curves on the hood vents and bumper. With how short our season here is - I don't think I would worry about any paint fading issues :crazy2:.

PS - I recently took a job that brings me down to Peoria a couple of times a month - so once this damn winter ends - we'll have to plan a time get the Vipers together.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can do some cool stuff with vinyl.

This is my 08 that I am going to "dedicate' to the track...

Decided to go with the ACR "blackout"...this year.

We haven't vinyl'd the fascia yet because it is coming off. Going to cut and modify for ACRX brake and radiator shrouds...

I am also using vinyl on the wing and canards

The vinyl is a semi gloss with a slight "weave" to it. Looks like Kevlar....:2tu:

FWIW.. The completed "wrap", with clear bra behind the wheels was $800

The same "blackout", but painted, was $3K...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the wrap that durable that it can withstand track shrapnel?
I would think it would get shredded in short order, no?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the wrap that durable that it can withstand track shrapnel?
I would think it would get shredded in short order, no?

Yes, it is. Several of the cars in the ACRX league are wrapped.

It is used quite a bit in motorsports now. NASCAR etc.

Best part is it is easily repaired and you can drive a "new" car each year