Viper ADR

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
According to Motor Trend ,March 2016 issue, in their " MT Confidential" column, Dodge will answer Chev COPO Camaro and Ford Cobar Jet Mustang with the ADR Viper. ADR stands for American Drag Racing. This Viper will be supercharged, street legal, 900 Hp and 800 lb-ft, AUTO Trans designed purely for Drag racing. MT says it will be a 9 second car.
Has anyone heard of this--Dave

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I heard last week that Factory supercharging was not gonna happen for the Gen V. Hopefully that source was wrong. I personally am not interested in a S/C Gen V, but I know a lot out there are. Hope it happens

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
According to Motor Trend ,March 2016 issue, in their " MT Confidential" column, Dodge will answer Chev COPO Camaro and Ford Cobar Jet Mustang with the ADR Viper. ADR stands for American Drag Racing. This Viper will be supercharged, street legal, 900 Hp and 800 lb-ft, AUTO Trans designed purely for Drag racing. MT says it will be a 9 second car.
Has anyone heard of this--Dave

I believe they had an ADR Challenger at SEMA or one of those shows not too long ago. Also, odds are it would not be street legal if it was competing against a COPO Camaro or Cobra Jet Mustang as those are purpose built race cars and not street legal themselves. No reason to hamstring yourself if you're really trying to stomp the competition. The Drag Pak Challengers are what compete in that class. They have the naturally aspirated ones and a new supercharged one. I saw an idle clip of a supercharged one and holy crap, that thing sounds insane.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that Viper has been hesitant to offer a factory supercharger because the Viper has always been developed as more of a road racing car than drag racer.

Drag racing is only for a few seconds, and supercharging would work tremendously well in that application. For endurance road racing, naturally aspirated usually works far better.

I had an 03 with paxton supercharger. It was fantastic on the street, and at the drags, however when used at road racing venues it was far less successful. Depending on track and engine temps it would behave differently coming off every corner. Sometimes it would blister the pavement, and other times seem little stronger than stock. You could feel the power ebb and flow depending on how much boost was being available.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Paxtonized 06 coupe. I had the suspension and drivetrain modified specifically for road racing. Dan Cragin provided me with a custom tune that solved a couple of problems that arose when I first used it on a road course. It performed very well in 20 - 25 minute segments. Beyond that, heat soak was a big factor.

As for the possibility of an OEM streetable supercharged Viper with some type of auto tranny? Not a chance. M/T is delusional. They must be confusing data about this:
Stage III - Sledgehammer (Available 2016)

• Sledgehammer” (Supercharger Pictured Below)
  • Available as a Package Only Thru ViperExchange
  • Output estimated 900 BHP @ 6 psi boost Available 2016
  • VENOM 2 controller
  • ARH headers and high flow exhaust
  • Twin Screw 4.3L Supercharger
  • High Flow Fuel System
  • Modified Front Cover for FEAD
  • Front Pulleys and idler system
  • Modified Cross Car Beam
  • LTR and pump system
  • This package will be available in 2016
​With the possibility of an OEM vehicle.

OP
OP
3whitevipers

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
All of these responses make more sense than the Motor Trend column. If the MT was not a gift subscription I'd drop it--Never really cared for their car evaluations or so called comparison tests. Thanks for the input--thought I'd check with you guys (sorry Broom) to see if I missed something--Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950