Viper and Z06

D

dano

Howdy all!

My first post. I have been the proud owner of a '02 Z06 for a few years. However, I'm restless and have been drooling for several months over the GTS's. The guys at Z06forum suggested I ask this forum questions as I would not need a flame suit compared to the "other" Viper forum.

I am seriously looking at the '97 - '99 GTS's. However, I have not driven one and it's not likely many will let me test drive their baby. The Z is a great car and is easy to control. I have heard that the Viper's get very hot in the cockpit and that without ABS and traction control most people "lose" it under full throttle. Granted, this is from biased Vette owners. I have owned several high horsepower muscle cars and know what it's like to "break loose". I am in my mid-forties and have some common sense but still like speed cars.

Have any of you had the opportunity to drive/own a C5 Z and your Viper? A thoughtful comparison response would be appreciated. I would use the Viper as a daily driver (only 6 mile RT) and only when the weather permits.

Thanks in advance!

Dan in Denver

OP
OP
D

dano

...I do understand that these are completely different cars...but I see dozens of Vette's and seldom a Viper. I miss the crowd appeal I had with my old Camaro's, 'Stangs, GTX's, etc....

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven both cars. Basically the Viper has a hell of a lot more torque and the Z06 has better ammenities for daily driving. The Z is also easier to get in and out of. I was actually impressed how well the Z06 drove. The suspension and brakes were better than I expected.

I love my Viper, but if I had to choose between the two for a daily driver, I would stick with the Vette.

PS-If you want ABS, you will need to consider the 01-02 models.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan, where in Denver are you? I had an '01 GTS (first year ABS) for awhile and did some dyno events and stuff of the sort with the Colorado/Utah chapter of the VCA. There a great bunch of guys who get together quite a bit.

I was pretty nervous when I first roadraced my GTS...hoping the back end wouldnt come around when doing some spirited roadcourse driving. I even did an SCCA driving school hoping to get a feel for when the back end may try and come out from under me, it didnt work.

Anyway, there are pretty simple ways to remove the cockpit heat, basically high flow cats.

I hope some of the Colorado chapter guys will chime in, I'm sure they would give you a ride and a feel for what a great car the Viper is.

wannabe-psi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
get the snake and never look back!! thats what i did!! im loving every minute of it!!

:)

ps im a former c5 owner.

OP
OP
D

dano

Thanks...again I have a 6 mile round trip to my office. I probably drive my Vette too much but I get tired of staring at cars in the garage...

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had a 1998 GTS for 8 months, and before that I had a C-5 Vette (not a ZO6) for 2 years and a C-4 Vette for 6 years. I've put 3,000 miles on the Viper, including quite a few during the (hot) Wichita summer.

In my opinion, the cockpit heat issue is a little overstated and is largely a non-issue for me, although it can get a little hot in hot weather (so did the Vettes, for that matter). For me, it's an issue that can basically be ignored (it's a downside, but it's greatly outweighed by the upsides of the car). Most people will say that high-flow cats will help somewhat (going with no cats is said to help a lot). Rolling up the windows and turning on the AC makes the issue go away, but that reduces the driving experience.

The car can "get away" from you if you're not careful. Use some sense, and you'll be OK.

I read about a thousand posts here before I pulled the trigger on my purchase. A GTS is rare in Wichita, so prior to my purchase, I was only able to "test sit" one in Oklahoma City (my 2 year old was with me, so I couldn't drive it; we sat in it, and then started it up [no cats on that one...] and said "we've got to get us one of these...."). I didn't buy that one, but bought another soon thereafter.

Bottom line, for 2 months I had both the C-5 and the Viper, and the C-5 just sat there unused. Using a rodeo analogy, the Vette is like saddle bronc riding, and the Viper is like bull riding ("ranker," but worth it). I realize that a ZO6 is a little "ranker" than a regular C-5 like I had, but I think the basic comparison holds true.

There are quite a few threads out there comparing the two, and I found them of value in making my decision.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dano, your ride is to short to worry abuot heat plus it is a little overrated, the brakes come on fast and hard you will lock up the fronts if not carefull but a little time and you should be fine, big difference in power, plus wider tires and you actually have less traction in wet conditions or feel like that anyway, the vette is a great car wich you'll soon forget after owning your Viper.
spend the time and look for a nice clean one, it makes a big difference, enjoy.
george, 97 gts and srt vert.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes on a 97-99 are the weak link.
Viper does not come with cruise control.
Does not have traction control.
Does not have a great stereo.
Does not have a cup holder.
Does not have electric seats.
Does not have a dead pedal.

I own a 97 GTS and a 98 RT/10.
I will never sell them.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan - buy the viper. I did several years of Viperdays events with my 96 and currently race my 2001 VRL car in SCCA, ARC, VIPERDAYS events - Frankly, I find the car extremely predictable. Obviously pilots break loose much quicker than DOT slicks but that is more a matter of temperature than anything else. You get a set of Michelin Pilot Sports really hot and they STICK - I found the car would push way before it got loose.
HERE IS THE LESSON - those same Pilots are deadly when they are cold
ITS THE TIRE - NOT THE CAR. Warm the tires up and you will find your Viper to be a remarkable driving experience.
If you really want to find out what a great car the Viper is - do Viperdays - and take rides with the guys in the advanced group - you will sell the Vette

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIper hands down. From a former Lingenfelter C5 owner.

P.S. How do you make a Vette disappear?

Park it next to the Viper.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIper hands down. From a former Lingenfelter C5 owner.

P.S. How do you make a Vette disappear?

Park it next to the Viper.

so true!! :D
RMAOLOL, that's what happens to me. Been doing it for years, Show up at a Vette club show in a 66 AC Cobra, park around the corner and there goes their show. Same thing happened to me last month with my GTS Viper. LOL

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I found the car would push way before it got loose.

Like Gavin said, the GTS will push before it oversteers, unless you aren't careful with the throttle.

The car can be set up more neutral, by putting a bit more camber on the fronts. There are sport shims that you can take out of the front upper control arms, where they bolt to the frame rails. This adds enough camber to make the car more neutral on track days, then you can put them back in (With a huge breaker bar! :) ) so you don't wear your tires out funny on the street.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No doubt, get the Viper.
I owned an 02 z06 when I bought my GTS. Had heard the Viper was faster, but couldn't believe there would be a noticable difference. I drove my Viper home 25 miles when purchased, jumped immediately in my z06 for a quick spin and was dumb-founded. The down low torque is a monster in the v-10.

For your use, limited miles, there will be NO COMPARISON. You're not looking for long x-way comfort cruises so you won't miss the goodies. The extreme handling/feel/attention you experience will leave you happy with your decision for years to come.

I currently also own a c6z with the viper. By ALL accounts, the z06 is a faster/better car in almost all regards, however I still SIGNIFICANTLY prefer the viper. Am currently selling the c6z as I only want to keep one. 248-444-4773 if anyone wants an 800 mile perfect, stock c6z (blue) for $69k.

good luck with your new Viper - if you don't love it, you should easily be able to sell and re-purchase a low mile Z.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
P.S.
The Viper community is fantastic - I believe the best 'car club' out there. With local events/car shows/ViperDays/Viper Magazine/quarterly newsletter and Viper Owner Invitational parties, you purchase more than just a vehicle...

Venom-US

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

I would be more than happy to give you a ride in mine. I'm in Parker so it will be real easy to meet somewhere.I will be leaving for Vegas Friday and will not be back until the 29th. Let me know if you are interested in doing this.

Steve

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the Viper. I have a 96 RT 10 and believe me it gets hot as hell in the cockpit, I use it as a daily driver during the summer, and the A/c does very little on the highway at 70MPH, I almost never have the windows nor roof on, and the car will brake away from you on street tires if you don't lift off the pedal at the first sign of sideways motion. But I will never get rid of this car and hey I put 20,000 miles on it one year in Chicago w/o decent a/c, w/o decent radio, cupholders and everything everyone else has mentioned, but no matter what its missing it has something that everyone wants. You will now what it is when you own one.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
first off...Chuck...it does have a cup holder. If I drive my Viper to work I seal off my coffee cup and put it in the storage area high between the seats. works great as long as I don't try to outbrake a porsche.

On the Viper/Vette deal. I think you need to ask yourself what is it you want out of the car. If you worry about attacting attention, having folks speed through traffic nearly hitting you in their haste to give you a thumbs up then you might want to get the other car. If you can't spend an occasional 10 minutes at the gas station when some father and son come over to see the engine...get the other car, but it does feel good to help with the generational bonding. If you are worried about driving a car at the track more capable than you...get the other car. If you never plan on going to the track..please get the other car.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard....PLENTY of Viper owners here are former AND current Vette owners.

Been there done that..........

I have always had a POS DD.
I really don't give a sh&t what people think about what I drive on a "daily" basis.

Plus I would NEVER drive the Viper in the rain or in the snow, hail, sleet, etc etc etc

The Vette is a better DD IMO......and less likely to receive abuse from the jealous less fortunate scumbags out there that like to spit on, piss on, key etc an exotic like the Viper
Another personal rule, I never leave my car in a lot due to the above horror stories that fortunately I have not had to endure.
Best of luck in your decision

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes on a 97-99 are the weak link.
Viper does not come with cruise control.
Does not have traction control.
Does not have a great stereo.
Does not have a cup holder.
Does not have electric seats.
Does not have a dead pedal.

I own a 97 GTS and a 98 RT/10.
I will never sell them.

Well said Chuck!

We just added a second Viper ourselves. 01 GTS/ACR Bumblebee. Since March of 2000, I have 65,000 Viper miles and the novelty will most likely never wear off. We've traveled the country a few times and have had no trouble covering 500-700 miles per day. I also put 325 track miles on a 02 ZO6 in 2002 at the Bragg-Smith school. Nice car, but no Viper! The power difference was most evident from 3rd up.

Reminds of a quote I saved from first coming to this site in January of 2000.

Sports Car International writes:

“The 348 Ferrari is more like a fine cutlass and the Viper more of a two-handed battle axe. You can dispatch your opponent with either one, but only the Viper can cleave his head off in one massive stroke”

Steve

OP
OP
D

dano

Wow...what a great response from this forum. Three of your members have already contacted me and offered a close look at their cars. Too bad it's crummy weather in Denver but maybe this weekend.

Thanks all for the responses.

Dan in Denver

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 Z06 and loved it. Owned it for about two years, during which time I autocrossed it every couple months with SCCA and the Corvette Club. Drove it to work on a daily basis.

About six months ago I sold it and bought a '97 Viper GTS and I will never look back. It's hard to explain why I like it so much more than the Vette. It's an emotional attachment, and ultimately, the Viper is much more fun. It's more fun to drive, more fun to look at, more fun to own.

Yeah, the heat issue is overrated. Yeah, it's warmer, but you're not cooking or anything. Big deal. Roll the windows down. And the brakes, get one with ABS, or buy a set of Tom's rear 40mm calipers and put your mind at ease.

-Chris

JJB500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 02 Z06 too, I don't miss it at all! Get the Viper you won't be sorry. The only down side is everyone will want to talk to you about the car, usually when you in a hurry to get somewhere.

OP
OP
D

dano

Wow...you guys/gals have been super in a very short time. Went for a spin in a members Venom 650 today and asked him a bunch of questions. Have had three other offers to check out/ride in cars locally. Also, have a lead on three cars that look like they will be in my budget range.

Wifey leaves for Barbados with girlfriends tomorrow...wonder what she'll think if there's a Viper in the garage when she returns.

Thanks!