Viper Days Finals 2000

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finals 2000

Texas MotorSports Ranch
Cresson, Texas

The weather forecast called for temperatures in the 40’s, and rain for the whole weekend. This did not deter sixty-two Viper owners, from sixteen states, from traveling across the US to the National Finals in Texas.
Friday the weather was sky blue and in the high 50’s but the forecast was not good for the weekend. The cars that came on Friday, 45 in all, had a great day on the track. There were no incidents and only a few spin-offs by those testing the envelope early. The evening reception was held at the track, the food was outstanding but the weather turned cold when the sun went down. We had installed two temporary walls to try and retain some heat and added three portable heaters. All those present had a good time but the temperature moved the party back to the hotel and local restaurant.

Saturday at 6AM found us on the road to the track, half way there we hit some showers, our worst nightmare. Upon arrival at the track we found the track dry but COLD! Patience would prove to be the best instructor this morning. Few spin-offs and the times started there way south. The banquet at Randolph Watkins Country Club proved to again be a class operation. The guests and drivers were dressed to the 10’s and everyone had trouble recognizing their track friends. The Texas C&W band that Randolph hired put on a great show. The 60-foot Texas flag was a tribute to the proud Texans – “Don’t mess with Texas” could be heard several times. WE forced the band off the stage, so that the trophy presentation could begin and it went on for the next hour. Please see the results on our web page; they are too voluminous to print here. From the special awards for our best supporters to the high points winner - all had a good time. I do believe that there were several surprised recipients tonight.
Special highlights were the Michelin “Mr. Bibb” showed up to give us a letter of commitment for 2001 for the Viper Days Michelin Challenge Series and the announcement that the VRL had been invited to be a support race for the Grand American race at Lime Rock on Memorial Day weekend. These were two great announcements and everyone was appreciative of these two events.

The auction was again a highlight but this year it started with a Texas police officer coming into the room and arresting me for holding an auction without a license. I was cuffed and worried but then Courtney got up and the auction started with people bidding to either send me away or to let me stay. “Thank God” for Randolph, he paid $1000.00 for me to stay.
Chamberlan Racing – Jack Cummingham came forward to explain the auction item hje donated for the kids. Upon completion of this explanation he went on and donated an all expense trip for two from anywhere in the US to the 2001 LeMans race. They would be the VIP guests of Chamberlan Racing for the five days. The bidding was fierce by John Grieco was out bid by Rhonda Johnson(our birthday girl). The Shriners kids will receive $6500.00 from Rhonda & Jeff. Thanks to all bidders and winners of the auction. The band continued until 11:30PM. Even with the late hour our whole staff was at the track on time, I cannot say that for all the drivers! Everyone gave Courtney and Tracey the rib but they were fine!!

Sunday was again threatening rain but it did not appear! A great day at the track. Times continued down and the anticipation of the American Classics 2000 race could be felt in the pits. At 1:15 the 20 race Vipers were lined up in pit lane but they were moved out to the Start/Finish line and the engines all turned off. Our outstanding announcer Bill Pemberton gave the signal, to please turn towards the flag and the lead singer sang our National anthem from the previous nights band. It was an awesome rendition. Then Bill told the drivers “Gentlemen – start your engines”. Many told me that that was the “coolest”, “Neat”, “Fitting” and “Do it every time” way to start a race. We were then lead out by the “Archer Racing Accessories” Viper for the pace laps. We worked hard to get some heat into the tires and then we were off….. A great start. The race had several battles around the track. One spectator told Linda that he was there last year and ”this was by far a superior race and the quality of the drivers is better!” I think that sums up our season best. All drivers have improved and that is primarily due to seat time. Hope to see more drivers on the track in 2001.