Viper Days - Looking for Advice

K

Kaya

I am going to participate in Viper Days next weekend.

I am a drag racer. I have great reaction times, 60 fts and 1/4 times. I drive my car daily and I LOVE drag racing.

I have attended the SRT Track Experience and the Phil Wicks Driving School and I have had a few rounds at the track at No Problem in my Z06. But I am NOT a road racer.

My car is stock, I have a SA2005 nomex helmet and gloves and I have driving shoes. I know I have to remove everything from my car. But aside from that, does anyone have advice for me?

Should I put tape on my car (daily driver)? Anything else I need? What should I expect? I am nervous, but assuming they cater to novice track drivers. I had a bad experience at one event, but I had a great experience at the SRT Track Exp. even though I got put in the SLOW DRIVERS SECTION.....how embarrassing....

:( :eek: I did have the fastest times in the Jeep SRT8 at the drag strip over 3 other drivers :)

Anyone with advice at transitioning from drag to road course would be appreciated. Or any Viper Days attendees...... :p

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't stomp on the gas like you do at a dragstrip.
Don't speed shift like you do at a dragstrip.
Don't worry about your times or how fast you are going.
Leave your ego.
Relax.
Relax.
Relax.
Smooth is fast.
Smooth is fast.
Smooth is fast.

OP
OP
K

Kaya

Don't stomp on the gas like you do at a dragstrip.
Don't speed shift like you do at a dragstrip.
Don't worry about your times or how fast you are going.
Leave your ego.
Relax.
Relax.
Relax.
Smooth is fast.
Smooth is fast.
Smooth is fast.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hehehehehehe, Thank You....I did know that smooth is best and I should leave my drag racing habits at the drag strip......but I will remember the advice...because it is hard to switch from drag racing to road racing....

Certainly, drag racing is the easier of the two and road racing is the more complex. I just hope I am a credit to the Viper Club...:) and my fellow female viper owners!

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been to a couple of Viper Days events, as well as other track events, and all I can say is DO IT!!!!
Like you, I was apprehensive before my first event, but after that experience, I have been back at every opportunity.

My intention before attending the first event was to learn how to handle the car. Coming from a Jag, I was in over my head with the Viper. I was only going to go to the one event etc. It turned out to be something of an epiphany, totally changing my viewpoint. Still respect the Viper, but it's way too much fun to quit.

My car is also a daily driver, in fact since it was new in Feb '06, it has covered almost 20,000 miles. Oh and we do have other cars, this one is just too much fun to leave at home.

Viper days are taught by Skip Thomas, who knows Vipers inside & out. It is highly doubtful you will find a better instructor for your snake. Although you could hurt your car, that's highly unlikely. You won't be racing fender to fender, you'll be spread out on the track and quite safe.

Skip's daughter Courtney coordinates everything, and does a really good job. Other track events are fun, but in no way compare to Viper Days.

You WILL have a lot of fun! No turning back, you'll be hooked.

Reaction score
Start with the basics:

Look ahead 3-5seconds, by the turn in point (of a turn) your eyes should be on that turns exit(track out).

Get the braking done in a straight line before turning in for the corner.

Add power slowly and gently on exit.

Get the shifting done before or after the turn. But If you have to shift in a turn be very smooth.

Car balance and being smooth is very important for maximizing your driving experience.

On your first few laps of every session warm up, drive at 70-80% of your limit. Tires need to get warm and you need to get back into the track rhythm.

Check you tire pressures before and after each session and adjust as needed.

Put in new brake fluid Motul 600 will reduce the chance of boiling the brake fluid, which may not an enjoyable event. The fluid change can be done at the track (John Archer has full track side service) if you go early. Check that the power steering can is tight.

You will get an instructor, ask any question that you may have and if something is not clear ask.

Drive with in your comfort zone, be safe and Have Fun!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kaya,

I will be there and more than willing to answer any questions you may have. I have attended more than 15 Viper days events and had a great deal of fun at them all. The most important thing is to drive within your own personal limits. Your instructor will not let you do anything stipid, after all he or she doesn't know what kind of driver you are and he or she is letting you drive him or her around a race track so they will have you on a fairly short lease to begin with. The classroom session are geared so that any question is not a stupid one and you WILL learn a lot about how to handle these magnificant automobiles. I statred out three years ago driving a new SRT10, mine was the first at a Viper Days and have never looked back or regretted getting involved with Skip and his daughters. They are first rate and so are the instructors.

Feel free to look me up, I will be in a gold Comp Coupe #007 and be happy to help in any way I can. I look forward to meeting you at the track, and most important have fun and remember you want to drive home.

SCLSSRT10

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Look up Nancy Stein if she is there ( she and her husband come in the " Over the Hill," racing truck/trailer. She had been running at Viper Days for a very long time, often beats the guys and is pleasant,petite, polished pilot. She can show you the ropes and maybe even be your instructor ---- Skip and gang always have a great group of instructors. Most drag racers do well, as a road course is just alot of drag strips hooked together by a bunch of turns, and the only thing you need to think of at first is what Chuck already described .......keep it smooth.

Have fun and if using stock tires at No Problem, pump up the fronts to 34-35 cold, and run the back around 4 lbs less.

Have fun they are great events. You will probably enjoy it so much we will meet in May when Viper Days comes to Mid America Motorplex --- just South of Omaha,Nebraska. :nana:

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I started tracking my car I never find any good information. Over the last couple of years I started to figure some stuff out. And although I am not the best driver out there I consider myself pretty good. More importantly I am good at finding ways to help myself improve my driving. And hopefully this helps you get better as well.

I Would suggest:

Autocross: Probably the most important thing you need to do is learn your car at the limits. Go to a local SCCA autocross and compete as many times as possible.

Go-Karting: Anyone who tells you go-kart racing (even at indoor places) doesn’t make you a better driver is crazy. If you don’t have a go-kart. I would suggest going to a indoor go-karting as much as possible. (If there is one by your house)

Sims/games: I think a few may disagree with me on this but I think that Sims and games help you learn. GTR2, Forza, and GT4 (in that order) are games I would practice on.

Reading: Light Reading just to give you the basics never hurt anyone. I would try to apply your reading to the above activates before you try them on the track so they are second nature by the time you try them on the track. Here is some light and more importantly free reading:

http://www.turnfast.com/

Some more involved reading:

http://www.speed-secrets.com/racing_publications.html

IMO Speed Secrets is the Racing bible.

Hope that helps. Like I said I am not the best out there just learning as well. :2tu:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Kaya!

You are an amazing Drag racer, you kick some butt and I've enjoyed watching you at Beach Bend every year.

Running a roadcourse will be the most fun you have had with your clothes on:)
That's why I do it:)

oh-and do everything your instructor says hahaa.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worry not.

Viperdays is very aware of first timers. In fact that is one of their main goals, to introduce beginners to the joy of roadracing.

Be sure to let everyone know it is your first time. Attend the early morning drivers meetings as well as the lunch time chalk talks.

The instructors will be more than willing to drive your car for you if you wish to determine just how much potential you have. They will then ride with you, and point out the techniques and fast lines around the course.

Start out in the Green Group. If you find out you are progressing rapidly, you can move into the Blue group when you feel comfortable.

Do not miss the door to door racing, usually at lunch time, when the Viper Racing League Drivers, in specially prepared Vipers really lay down the fast times.

Enjoy the ride!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good advice above.

Relax, don't push it too hard and avoid that incredible urge to touch the brakes while turning fast. If you don't you'll spin.

I was primarily a drag racer too. The transition to road racing is soooo much more challenging.

Dan :headbang:

OP
OP
K

Kaya

Thank you all...I will be looking up people and

FYI the track is having a Viper bracket race on Friday night....in honor of us being there....so if it is not raining...I am challenging the other Viper Days participants to drag me :) This will be my first drag experience in the Viper....I bought it in June and haven't dragged her yet. I feel comfortable in car....so bring it on. Heheheheh.....my stereo turned up and my car staged up....hehehe (my husband fusses me for the music...but it relaxes me....)

I am excited to welcome everyone to South Louisiana. We hope you love our culture. And we hope your experience here makes you want to visit again.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all...I will be looking up people and

FYI the track is having a Viper bracket race on Friday night....in honor of us being there....so if it is not raining...I am challenging the other Viper Days participants to drag me :) This will be my first drag experience in the Viper....I bought it in June and haven't dragged her yet. I feel comfortable in car....so bring it on. Heheheheh.....my stereo turned up and my car staged up....hehehe (my husband fusses me for the music...but it relaxes me....)

I am excited to welcome everyone to South Louisiana. We hope you love our culture. And we hope your experience here makes you want to visit again.

What kind of music are you listening to then besides the music factory under the hood ;)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow Kaya, will be interested to hear what you think of your snake vs your Z06 on the strip:)

be safe and have fun!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slow in, fast out.

You may want to clear bra your car or put a regular one on. Note: some event may not allow you to run with the regular bra. Tire chunks and gravel will fly up on your car but road racing is the bomb:)

Have a blast

My 2005 is still a track ******:-(

OP
OP
K

Kaya

What kind of music are you listening to then besides the music factory under the hood ;)

Well it's a bit insane but I like Aerosmith and Def Leppard. I have the greatest hits all in the CD player...so Pyromaniac, Young Lust, Dude, I can listen to basically any of the songs out of those two albums. Hehehe, insane...but it works for me....

They cancelled the brackets tonight because it rained all day. Hopefully better weather tomorrow. I did watch some Vipers run on a wet track and got my car tech done. So tomorrow I will be ready to go. I met the Lauden's, the Stout's and Nancy Stein and everyone was very nice. I also met a few others in the novice group and I felt a lot better. Two people I met have actually no kind of track experience. So I didn't feel like such a kindergartner after all. :) Hopefully, I will have a nice day and suprise myself tomorrow. Sunday is gonna be a washout....but if I get one day I will be happy.

I will post some pics when I get the time.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would this qualify for a wood chuck sticker? It's kind of wet here.

04_10x15_mud_email.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kaya

I got one of the two woodchuck stickers given out so far. :) :) :) Someone suggested that I start applying them to my helmet.

I managed to loose control in the only area with grass and no mud....and no solid objects in my path. I braked too hard and turned to hard at turn 8 and then got so scared I didn't take my foot off the brake and clutch, way over corrected....so when the ABS let up I went in the grass. No harm, no foul....hey its a Driver Education Event :) Much better to learn there than on the street.

I had a blast, but am sore and exhausted. I had a great instructor....Bob and he was just so calm. I think sometime after we were stopped he said "you can let off the brake now". I think the ABS was still pulsating.

Going back for some more education tomorrow if the weather doesn't poor. Great time, great people, highly recommend it...this is a great way to learn to be safe in you car in a controlled environment and I think I will be safer on the road for this. It will hopefully change how I react in an emergency on the road or in traffic.

Anyone who hasn't gone should really attend this course.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck I think I'll be able to get some pictures at Sebring. It just worked out that the family Florida vacation is that same weekend, don't know how that happened.

Check out this blocking move from Sundays race. The Red 4 does this drifting technique down the front straight across the finish line to finish in front of the 04. After they cross the finish line he straightens it back up and continues on down the track. These guys are good. Try that next time your out at the track.

Tim

rain_2.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness