Viper Days - Road America report/results?

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking for someone to post a report and/or results from Viper Days at Road America this week. Bill P., Seth P. (my vote for best new author), Skip? Had to be little hot up there...

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear it was a crash, bang and burn weekend. Not good week I should say. I hear our man Seth, blew an engine. Also Ellis crashed bad into a wall, 20-30K damage and that Rob Fosters brand new car caught fire and burned to the ground....OUCH...thats what I heard.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ellis crashed bad into a wall, 20-30K damage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmmm, on the back end... maybe. Plus another 30K damage on the front end (actually, the whole driver's side was f#$%3d/crunched). Looked like a total loss to me!!

Dave Schotz' old car was backed into the tires in Canada corner the very first session. Looked like it was into the concrete, but the driver caught a break (very minimal cosmetic/paint damage).

There was a blue/white GTS that pancaked the wall. Not as bad as Ellis' car, but it looked like at least 30K (bent frame).

I think there were 5 cars off before lunch on Thursday.

Woodhouse's left rear brakes caught fire on Friday.

Pemberton backed his car into the gravel trap on 8 (I did the same thing last year).

The heat Thursday, and braking from 5th gear speeds, really took its toll on the equipment. Road America is one hellacious track!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing like going 150+ down a steep hill where you have to brake to make a sharp left hander........and it looks like they don't have a name for that corner!!!! How about Dead Man's Bend???

Pemberton called it as it is ...."You go down there and see Jesus, God, Muhammad or whoever else you expect to see in Heaven!"

If you don't trust your brakes, it is un-nerving.

This was my 1st time on track with Viper and 2nd time on track ever.

Since lap time is dominated by cornering speed, I didn't worry about trying to max speed - I don't think I ever got over 130 mph. There were too many other things to worry about!

But that corner needs a name!!!!

Also, I had quite an amazing experience the next day at home and it was actually related to Pemberton's "what you see" comment. However, I'm trying to figure out how to post it.

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road America is one unbelievable track. Fast and Technical!!
This is not a place for rookies to make their debut but 18 did. Not one off track experience for any of them. I am proud of everyone of them. Also had three women rookies!! We need more women...come on out and enjoy the weekend with your husband!
The weather was HOT!!! on Thursday until 4pm when the rain and lightning came and cooled things off. The race was canceled but we ran two races on Friday.
Bob Woodhouse sat on the pole for the first race but had a brake caliper problem and could not run.
Seth Palatnik blew the bottom 1/2 of his Gen-1 engine. He left the track and the engine was pulled by Roanoke Motors on Friday and shipped to Arrow on Monday. He will be back running at Putnam. Great John John Gastman!! We miss Seths report and look forward to his quick return.
The races were competitive and fun to watch as well as to drive in. All drivers are getting better as shown by six drivers UNDER 2:25 lap times.
Visit our web site for results to both Michelin Challenge Series and "Wheel to Wheel" race series.
Hope to see you at the track,
Skip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang