VIPER DAYS - WHAT KIND OF HELMET DO I NEED?

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of helmet do I need for Viper Days? I see that Motorcycle helmets are not allowed (why?). there are some very good snell rated helmets on the market. I have about 300+ helmets in my Harley Dealership one of them must be good enough. The requirement for a balaclava, does that need to be fire retardant? Can you put a 5 or 6 point harness in a stock GTS without a great amount of modification? HELP?????

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fire retardant is required.

I have Simpson 5 points and love 'em. Nothing like strapping yourself in with the same belts NASCAR uses...ok, nobody mention Earnhardt.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SA Snell Foundation ratings are required for car driving events - they make the helpmets differently to respond to the different types of impacts you may have in a car as opposed to on a bike. The interior is also Nomex, as being trapped in a fire is usually not an issue on a bike.

You can easily install 5 or 6 point harnesses (recommend 6 points unless you are willing to cut your stock seat...) in your GTS without trashing the interior. There are detailed instructions on this site. The cutting involved is minimal. Dodge also provided GREAT mounting locations built into every Viper. You'll be able to feel the car so much better, in addition to it being SAFER. Do BOTH SIDES - it's nice for your instructor.

Check out TeamTech harnesses form Jon Brobst at PartsRack - they ship with some Viper specific hardware so that you can retain full function of your stock belts, too.

See you at ViperDays!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
SA2000 is the way to go.

Check out Helmetcity.com .... and make sure you mention that you're a VCA member for a 10% discount.

I believe Snake Oyl has helmets as well.

Bruce Donaldson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the belts. I've been running in the Viper Days Unlimited group for a few years now. I upgraded from the Simpson style to the TeamTech for one safety reason: The nylon "****** plate" between the two belts that run vertically from shoulder to waist in the TeamTech design reduce the chance that, in a hard frontal impact with the resultant high G forces, your chest will push through the straps, rupturing or even tearing an artery away from your heart.

The TeamTech belts are super-comfortable also.

Good luck.

S

SUN RA KAT

Do you need to get a full face helmet or will a football style (auto racing snell, of course) be OK?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you are in a GTS then a open face version should be OK. You might want to check with Viper Days since they have the track and insurance rules. This could be a rule that changes from track to track?

Reaction score
Get best(light weight) full face helmet.

1. If you go woodchuck hunting debris will fill your car GTS or RT.
2. In a hard impact you chin is protected from being pushed back against your spine.
3. Light weight is important for several reasons. Reduce stress and fatigue during driving and reduce force on your neck in a hard impact.
4. Racing Schools with open wheel cars require full face helmets. They are provided but it is nice to have your own helmet.
5. Karting also requires a full face helmet.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I remember a real car helmet(full face) is not legal for bike use due to the restriction of field of vision.Narrow slot with small lateral field of vision.If you're ugly or don't think you're face is worth much then by all means get an open face helmet.NOTE:Even Junior is using a full face helmet now at Daytona. Bruce

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full face is always safer (in a car) than open. I don't know of anyone who would argue this point.

Second, motorcycle helmets ARE permitted in Viper Days IF you have a fire retardant balaclava. Your choice, but in the summer when it's hot I prefer a SNELL rated auto helmet.

The Team Tech belts are in my opinion the best belts made period and Jon Brobst is the one to order them from (www.partsrack.com). You can choose your webbing, padding, and pull colors. This is a very nice touch in a Viper. I recommend contrasting colors on Pulls and Webbing so safety workers, crew, etc. can easily decern what to be pulling on.

Do you have a VCA discount on bikes? Maybe Harleys? Maybe a V-Rod??

Hope to see you at the Viper Days track.

Jeff

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff - I don't believe motorcycle helmets are allowed anymore at ViperDays events. The current rule requires a Snell 95 or better rating. Motorcycle helmets would be designated M95. The balaclava is required if you have facial hair.

Hogdealer - Buy a good full face helmet that fits properly and hopefully you'll never put it to the test.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Taken from Section 6. Required Safety Equipment of the Viper Days Rules)

6.4 Helmet
Helmets can be open or closed face but must carry a Snell 95 (or newer) rating and be no more then five years old! Helmets have a date of manufacture stamped on the inside. If you have facial hair, you must wear a balacalava!

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification Sonny!

See you at the track. The roll cage installation starts on Saturday!!

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rules established for ViperDays are what make it one of the safest ways to have fun while learning to control your car at speed. Safety is always the primary concern. The rules stress safety, the classroom sessions stress safety and the instructors stress safety.

The key to driving faster is to feel safe in your car and confident with the knowlege you are gaining through the instruction. It is a step by step process that is more fun than you can imagine, but it does require some discipline. You need to follow steps "a" and "b" to get to "c". It's worth ever bit of effort and a serious bargain when you realize how much you get out of a weekend.

See you at the track!

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Get the balacalava whether you have facial hair or not. Combined with a full face shield on the helmet, it is intended to protect your face from fire. It's cheap insurance! A secondary benefit is that the balacalava will help absorb sweat and other facial/ body fluids. Otherwise, you can make a real mess out of the inside of your helmet.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way, Most venues require that if you have facial hair you need to wear a full balacalava with cutouts only for the eyes. The other style has a single large cutout that doesn't protect as much of your face and definitely won't protect the moustache area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS