Viper Driving School Insurance . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To Skip Thomas and others who regularly run or partcipate in driving schools such as Viper Days, are you aware of an insurance program strictly for track or driving school participants?

I have done a little research and have foundonly dead ends:

For example, www.laurelde.com: I contatced Dave at 866-518-1110 who informed me that they will insure just about every sports car but will not insure Vipers. For all other vehicles the rough rule of thumb is: 4% of value = yearly premium; deductible is 15% of value of car.

ACI 800/620-9223, or Americancollectors.com. They no longer offer driver training school insurance.

Any thoughts? Under the current language of my insurer's policy, I am still covered for non-racing, non-timed track events such as driving schools but I would prefer to have dedicated insurance for this purpose.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or insights you can provide.

/Rich

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
rcl4668 said: "...Under the current language of my insurer's policy, I am still covered for non-racing, non-timed track events such as driving schools ..."

BE CAREFUL on the above assumption...unless, on course, your "understanding" of your coverage is based on a written confirmation of same from the insurer...NOT just your agent.

Friends in several auto clubs/affinity "tracking" groups have been carefully looking into this issue...ESPECIALLY concerning one's own liability in track events...and, so far, not much good has been discovered in my opinion. AllState rep stated that one's standard umbrella does NOT apply to these situations, noting that the wavier that is signed at the track is for the track!! Chubb just notified a PCA friend that his collision and his liability coverage (including his "umbrella") DO NOT apply at the track, including his usual driver's education events (in the past years, his agent had verbally told him that he "would be covered"). He is not and has not been a racer...and, has had no claims to date.

Frankly, it's the liability issue that scares most of us older guys.

Sure hope that some of the "pro's" can lend a hand here as many are "asking".

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years ago USAA tried to get me to sign a paper saying that I would agree to never participate in any such event. I never signed of course. Yes it is a major concern.

Paul

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
At first glance, most seem worry about the cost of repairing their own car...especially "out of pocket". While this cost can run into tens of thousnads of dollars, it by no means compares to the worry about the liability which can run into the millions!!

Anyone know of a US based insurer that would write a primary liability policy???

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years ago USAA tried to get me to sign a paper saying that I would agree to never participate in any such event. I never signed of course. Yes it is a major concern.

Paul

USAA cancelled my insurance policy. Actually, they cancelled all of my insurance policies, including a $2million home owner's policy, a $2million umbrella, and 4 car policies. As soon as they found out that I had raced my Viper, they no longer wanted any of my insurance business.

I took my business to State Farm. I told them I raced. When I filled out my application, I put it on the application. My State Farm insurance won't cover damage to my car when racing (or on the track for that matter,) but everything else was fine.

I operate on the assumption that if my car gets smashed up on the track, that I'm paying for it out of my piggy bank.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geico laughed at me. As did "The Hartford" .

I have not found anything within Geico's policy that would exclude non-timed driver education events. Personally, I follow a couple simple rules related to this subject:

I drive safe when at the events so hopefully I never need it!

No timing, ranking, scores, etc.

Whats in writing is the only thing that matters, I dont bother asking company or agents except for copies of the policy agreement. If I have questions I ask a lawyer.

I have never made a claim for anything in my 20+ years of driving, and honestly, I dont believe I ever would for a track related incident. But if I did:

I would not lie (avoid fraud), and describe the incident accurately. I would expect it helps to have a lender (car loan) involved in the ownership of the vehicle as you could count on any insurance claim denial to be reviewed by the vested, and well represented lender. I would get a lawyer.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I totalled my '02 ACR during a driving school my insurance covered it w/ no questions. The adjuster told me my policy did not have an exclusion for racing. I had thought I was going to have to argue that I wasn't racing but learning to drive. Of course all my policies were cancelled & I had to go to a high risk underwriter.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the informative posts so far; does anyone happen to know Skip Thomas' contact info (either phone or e-mail)?

From a social policy standpoint it seems bizarre to me that folks would want to discourage people from engaging in high speed driving on a track where conditions are safer and more controlled (at least at the driver training events I have attended) as opposed to encouraging people to engage in high speed, high risk driving on public roads where the risk of harm to oneself and others increases. I am willing to pay a fair and even high premium to insure myself at these events. It's discouraging that companies are no longer willing to fill this need.

/Rich

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
http://www.viperdays.com/ WIll get you to Skip. He's at Sebring, and I suspect Courtney will reply Monday-Tuesday. I have 2 customers who are 'value-agreed' insured for track events, timed or not. I dont think they are "US Based" as you stipulated however. One made a near-total claim last year and was satisfied with the settlement and rebuild

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What liability issues are you guys speaking about?
I have (perhaps incorrectly) believed that you "drive at your own risk" when at the track... just like swimming at the beach.
Should I be concerned that someone may sue me at the track? What would be the scenaroi?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you damage any person or property you could be subject to a suit for damages

Wow, I'm thinking about a viper days event, but as if the risk to my own ride isn't enough I have to worry about someone else suing me?? I too thought that when we all sign those liability release forms that it holds everyone harmless - you mean if I tag up with someone they can sue me for damage, psych stress, whatever?? I'll probably call VIR and ask about this one.