Reaction score
No, it's not a hemi.

That's a HEMI in the Viper :

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that is in the auto-division. He told me that they may start putting in a hemi in the Viper due to the fact that they cn get so much horsepower out of it. Dont know if this will happen but it has been discussed.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can't get any more hp out of a hemi than they are getting now.
Hemispherical combustion chambers are not state of the art anymore.
All the hype around the DC hemi is just marketing.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper head design is known as a wedge head.

A wedge head can make as much power as a hemi - but not usually in street applications. The wedge head however does tend to offer better efficiency at lower street rpms.

Hemi is a marketing tool, a real step foward would be a 40 valve V10.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course I didn't mean reducing displacement at the cost of horsepower. I meant producing the 500hp out of a 4.0 liter 40 valve V10. Wouldn't we all like our beloved V10 to be more horsepower efficient. My $0.02.

-Avi

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely don't like the less torque part especially since I love the Viper's monster torque. But, I don't like us heading toward the 9 liter (sigh) displacement either.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, that's true. I mean, 8.3 is enough now. Already 8 were enough. But 4 wouldn't be a real Viper engine, IMO. I'd miss too much of the torque.

BLEBYU

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They can't get any more hp out of a hemi than they are getting now.
Hemispherical combustion chambers are not state of the art anymore.
All the hype around the DC hemi is just marketing.

If this is true why could they not get that kind of torque and hp out of the 4.7 wedge motor, and if you are referring to the old Hemi why are they still using it in every top fuel car on the planet? They are not using anything else. Why is this design still banned by nascar if it is so outdated?
Just my 02....
The Hemi Viper is going to be at bowling green, we expect some 8s on the motor if all goes well! :2tu:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 4 litre Viper engine? :shocked:

someone help me quick - I think I'm going to have an anerism

Monster torque is what makes a Viper and Viper owners like a big engine - not a [******] 4 litre - for that they can buy an Italian car.

You don't need the bulk and complexity of quad cams - just the stock cam location and 40 valves will do - and it will fit nicely in the stock car, with plugs on top like a hemi... because it is a Hemi - just one with 4 valves.

So Hemi is the best chamber - it is just that 4 valves are better than 2. Blubyu's Hemi Viper will run an 8 and it has ONE CARB and NO JUICE and NO BOOST. Now a 572 wedge could also do that - but sell a house if you want a Viper motor to match it - it'll get expensive.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old Chrysler hemi was a big strong engine. It was chosen by many hot rodders and racers back in the 50s.
The chevy small block is an example of the same thing. It was chosen by many people as a engine to hop up.

Over the years there was quite a bit of R&D on the old hemi because it was popular. Lots of mod equipment was produced for it. The popularity continued because of the equipment available and the equipment makers produced more and better components and that made it even more popular.

The fact that it was a hemi didn't hurt but that wasn't what made the engine what it is today.

The engines used in the top fuel cars are new engines and every part is produced for racing and nothing else.
The new engines are based on the old hemi because that is the engine everyone settled on long ago.

Now, NASCAR.
NASCAR is in the business of putting on a show. NASCAR is not in a development class of racing. They are not interested in improving the cars that compete in their events.
If Ford, GM or DC come out with a new kind of engine or a very aerodynamic body, the new development will be disallowed or changes will be made to compensate for it in order to make the cars race on even terms.

Do you see any NASCAR race cars with fuel injection or superchargers or overhead cams or anything new?
No, they want the cars to be fast, loud, and all about the same.
It wouldn't be good for ticket sales if GM or Ford won every race by three laps.

So just because it is banned from NASCAR doesn't mean that it is the best way to get power in this day and age.

If they let the NASCAR boys do anything they wanted with their 355 cubes, they might have 4 valves and OHC but I'll bet they wouldn't have hemi chambers no matter what brand of engine they used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960