Viper Genius Needed!

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's the story:

I went out to take my '08 Viper for a little spin around town. As I was backing out of the garage and turning around in the driveway, I heard a rattling noise coming from inside the steering wheel. It sounds like something is rolling around in there.

I immediately turned around and parked the baby back in the garage and called the dealership and made an appointment.

I'm sure that's it's nothing serious but I'm venting about it anyway!

Any ideas what it may be? Will it be safe for me to drive it the 45 minutes to the dealership? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated so that I might not worry too much between now and tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
~SSG CHIC

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well one thing I do know is I would not drive that thing, make the dealership go out there. The last thing you want to do is cause more damage. It could or could not be serious, so you might as well play it safe and not take a chance. I hope all goes well and it turns out to be an easy fix whatever it is. Good luck. Either way I would not worry as that is what a warranty is for.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Doubt that I can help you...BUT, a dealer friend told me that he had the airbag module fall out into his lap while backing into his parking place on a new 05 !!!!! Scary!!!!!

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well one thing I do know is I would not drive that thing, make the dealership go out there. The last thing you want to do is cause more damage. It could or could not be serious, so you might as well play it safe and not take a chance. I hope all goes well and it turns out to be an easy fix whatever it is. Good luck. Either way I would not worry as that is what a warranty is for.

I asked the dealership when I called if it would be safe to drive it or would they come and get it. He said, "It should be fine, just take it easy." But I'm concerned. I have to drive over to mountains on a curvy road to get there.

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doubt that I can help you...BUT, a dealer friend told me that he had the airbag module fall out into his lap while backing into his parking place on a new 05 !!!!! Scary!!!!!

WOW! That is scary!

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If Chuck Tater is out there I sure would like to hear what he thinks about this. I'd like to know if he thinks I should drive it or trailer it in.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked the dealership when I called if it would be safe to drive it or would they come and get it. He said, "It should be fine, just take it easy." But I'm concerned. I have to drive over to mountains on a curvy road to get there.
You have to think of your safety in this. A 45 minute drive is a LONG drive for something to happen and break more causing you to loose control :omg: Not saying it would happen, but that it could. Especially some noise coming from the steering wheel? I would not chance it, but that is just me. Them saying "It should be fine, just take it easy." means something very easily could happen for the worse.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"It should be fine,..."

Dave will translate.

They have no idea what is wrong with your car, and have no place telling you what is safe and what is not.

I would ask them to contact someone that could give a technical explanation of what the problem could be and give a go<->no-go call based on knowledge of the car.

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have to think of your safety in this. A 45 minute drive is a LONG drive for something to happen and break more causing you to loose control :omg: Not saying it would happen, but that it could. Especially some noise coming from the steering wheel? I would not chance it, but that is just me. Them saying "It should be fine, just take it easy." means something very easily could happen for the worse.

Good idea! Thanks to all of you for the advice! I also called Chuck Tater and he said that with something rolling around in there, I'm running the risk of a bolt or something locking up the steering wheel. Not a good thing going through curves and over mountains. So, at the suggestion of you all, I will be utilizing the roadside assistance.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea! Thanks to all of you for the advice! I also called Chuck Tater and he said that with something rolling around in there, I'm running the risk of a bolt or something locking up the steering wheel. Not a good thing going through curves and over mountains. So, at the suggestion of you all, I will be utilizing the roadside assistance.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
Good choice. May the Viper recovery be speedy. I am sure you will be driving it again in no time :drive:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Use the flatbed...having experience in "working on" both Vipers and humans...cars are easy to fix...not always possible (sadly) with drivers!!! Be SAFE !!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
need more information:

Rattle when wheel straight? rattle when wheel turned? rattle when turning the wheel? repeatable or not? What orientation where the wheels in? does it depend on inclines or will it do it on level ground? wheel loose or wobbly? can you tap on any part of the wheel or comun to induce the rattle?

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
need more information:

Rattle when wheel straight? rattle when wheel turned? rattle when turning the wheel? repeatable or not? What orientation where the wheels in? does it depend on inclines or will it do it on level ground? wheel loose or wobbly? can you tap on any part of the wheel or comun to induce the rattle?

It sounds like something is rolling around inside the steering wheel when I turn the wheel. Does it every time I turn the steering wheel. It was on level ground. My wheels didn't feel loose but I just backed it out and was turning around to leave when I noticed it. So I just turned back around and pulled back into the garage. I did not notice it at all the last time I drove it. I don't hear it when tapping on the wheel. I only hear it when the wheel is turning.

I have no idea what it is but it sounds like a bolt or something rolling around in there.

Chuck Tater said to have it towed in to avoid the possibility of whatever it is getting lodged and the steering wheel locking up and not turning. They will be picking it up first thing in the morning to flatbed to the dealership. I told them to bring two 2X10s 6ft. long to load it with. Scratches will be promptly taken out on their hides!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep. Horn works.

I would advise towing as well. Its probably soemthing simple, though not worth the chance.

My money is on a screw/nut that came out behind the airbag, or possibly, though unlikely, a clock-spring problem.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could also just be the clock spring inside the steering wheel. These are also a problem on Jeeps. If it is the case, no problem driving to the dealership.

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I certainly hope you guys are right and it's nothing terribly serious.

I have to say that I feel better towing the car. As Chuck pointed out to me, that's what we have roadside assistance for. Although I had to fight with them to get them to take it to the dealership in the next town. They wanted to take it to the one in town but they don't have a Viper Tech there and their service is horrible. I made them call the local dealership to determine if they had a Viper Tech (I would have paid to have it towed where I wanted if it hadn't gone the way I wanted.) The local dealership acted like they had a Viper Tech, "well, he used to be certified, I guess he still is but we'll take a look at it and see what's going on". I think they just wanted to play with the Viper. The guy with roadside assistance agreed with me. They are now paying to tow it to the Viper Tech I wanted.:D I'm sure he's no Chuck but we are a long way from The Wizard.

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:drive:Sounds to me like the nut holding on the steering wheel......

Well, that doesn't sound very encouraging! Nothing like driving down the road and having the steering wheel come off in your hand!

Ok, now I'm really glad it's being towed in!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:Sounds to me like the nut holding on the steering wheel......

Well, that doesn't sound very encouraging! Nothing like driving down the road and having the steering wheel come off in your hand!

Ok, now I'm really glad it's being towed in!

I thought he meant you :omg::D

Glad you're having it towed though. We've seen enough wrecked 08's without risking another

V

Venomiss

Keep us posted on what happens. Hopefully it's something small and fixable. Are you planning on staying at the dealership when they look at your car?
A good idea is to take some pictures of the car before it leaves your house.
Odometer, and general outside/inside pictures. Just a safety measure.:)
Good luck with it !

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep us posted on what happens. Hopefully it's something small and fixable. Are you planning on staying at the dealership when they look at your car?
A good idea is to take some pictures of the car before it leaves your house.
Odometer, and general outside/inside pictures. Just a safety measure.:)
Good luck with it !

I'm following the truck over to the dealership and will be watching while they work on it. Pictures are a good idea. Thanks. I will keep everyone posted.

OP
OP
S

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MAN UP - drive it to the dealership!

JK of course :D:rolaugh: !

:lmao:Being female, I don't know how to MAN-UP!:D Isn't that what they call hanging out at *******? :rolaugh:

The thought of putting the beast on a flatbed instead of having it tear up the road is killing me! But, don't worry, I'll man-up and drive it home from the dealership just for you!:D

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have AAA, call then and tell them you broke down. They will tow you for free. if not see if your insurance will cover the tow bill. DO NOT DRIVE IT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather